Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Android vs Qt vs C/C++

 
 
Zarakava
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi All,
I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time
have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I kno
that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the ground
that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Let m
explain my requirement.
I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a vehicl
and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server usin
GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
1. GPS position data
2. Accelerometer readings
3. Image/Video data
4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate ras
driving to the driver based on algorithms derived fro
acceleration/deceleration values

I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-

1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who wil
design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that are
or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and design
the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as made t
order specs?
2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port Androi
on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to th
Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not have
display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and i
it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?
3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt ca
take place of Android as an application framework. The process an
questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.
4. C/C++: Or write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with th
device drivers and achieve the need.

Thanks a Ton!



---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anony Mous
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
> have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I know
> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the grounds
> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Let me
> explain my requirement.
> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a vehicle
> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server using
> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
> 1. GPS position data
> 2. Accelerometer readings
> 3. Image/Video data
> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
> acceleration/deceleration values
>
> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>
> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that area
> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and designs
> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as made to
> order specs?
> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port Android
> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to the
> Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not have a
> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and is
> it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?
> 3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt can
> take place of Android as an application framework. The process and
> questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.
> 4. C/C++: Or write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the
> device drivers and achieve the need.


Seems like most of these capabilities are already available to you in
the phone.
You could at least use the phone for development and then port to your
target.
If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then
you can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that you need.
http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java app.
Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native development
kit (NDK).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zarakava
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Hello,
Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro.
So should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP?
Will i have to write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camer
etc?
Add the drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?

Thanks!



>On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
>> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
>> have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch.

know
>> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in th

grounds
>> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Le

me
>> explain my requirement.
>> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in

vehicle
>> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud serve

using
>> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
>> 1. GPS position data
>> 2. Accelerometer readings
>> 3. Image/Video data
>> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
>> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
>> acceleration/deceleration values
>>
>> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>>
>> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
>> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in tha

area
>> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components an

designs
>> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as mad

to
>> order specs?
>> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then por

Android
>> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it t

the
>> Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not hav

a
>> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution an

is
>> it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?
>> 3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Q

can
>> take place of Android as an application framework. The process and
>> questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.
>> 4. C/C++: Or write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the
>> device drivers and achieve the need.

>
>Seems like most of these capabilities are already available to you in
>the phone.
>You could at least use the phone for development and then port to your
>target.
>If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then
>you can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that yo

need.
>http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
>I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java app.
>Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native development
>kit (NDK).
>


---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Wescott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 03:49 PM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:05:32 -0600, Zarakava wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
> have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I
> know that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the
> grounds that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a
> language. Let me explain my requirement.
> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a
> vehicle and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud
> server using GSM modem. The telemetrics will include 1. GPS position
> data
> 2. Accelerometer readings
> 3. Image/Video data
> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
> acceleration/deceleration values
>
> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>
> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that
> area or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and
> designs the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier
> as made to order specs?


Silicon vendors will be happy to help you select parts. Oddly, though,
they will help you select _their_ parts. Unless there's some support
chip that they absolutely don't make, they'll select their support chips,
too. If their parts all happen to be wildly inappropriate -- they'll
help you by selecting _their_ parts.

Ultimately the hardware engineer needs to select the final parts to go
into the device, and design the board.

The silicon vendors aren't interested in your board design, beyond the
extent to which their parts are on it. You will send the board fab files
out to a board fabrication house to have the raw board built, then you
will send the boards, and the schematics, bill of materials (BOM) and
parts placement diagram to a board assembly house, which will build the
boards. Any board testing that needs to be done is up to you, or you in
conjunction with the board assembly house.

You need to partner with a good hardware engineer, or you need to
prototype this thing on a phone or tablet or laptop or whatever, use that
as a technology demonstrator, and then use the success of that to attract
investment and talent.

Sensor selection isn't trivial. If you're serious about this contact me
off list, I'm not the worlds most profound expert on this, but I'm pretty
darn good.

> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port
> Android on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook
> it to the Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device
> will not have a display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to
> my solution and is it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned
> above?


Feasible, yes. Adding value? I don't think so.

> 3. Qt: I am least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that
> Qt can take place of Android as an application framework. The process
> and questions pretty much remain the same as for Android.


Qt is good if you have a display and need menus, etc. If your UI is just
buttons and lights, then it's a huge load of unnecessary dead code.

> 4. C/C++: Or
> write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the device
> drivers and achieve the need.


That's certainly how I'd approach this, unless you had a display that
needed human interaction. Even then I'd evaluate whether some smaller
menuing system, running atop a little real-time kernel, wouldn't be more
appropriate.

--
My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook.
My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook.
Why am I not happy that they have found common ground?

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software
http://www.wescottdesign.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Wescott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
(top posting fixed)
>
>
>>On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
>>> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i have
>>> entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I

> know
>>> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the

> grounds
>>> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language.
>>> Let

> me
>>> explain my requirement.
>>> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a

> vehicle
>>> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server

> using
>>> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include 1. GPS position data
>>> 2. Accelerometer readings
>>> 3. Image/Video data
>>> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
>>> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
>>> acceleration/deceleration values
>>>
>>> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>>>
>>> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
>>> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that

> area
>>> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and

> designs
>>> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as
>>> made

> to
>>> order specs?
>>> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port

> Android
>>> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to

> the
>>> Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not
>>> have

> a
>>> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and

> is
>>> it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above? 3. Qt: I am
>>> least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt

> can
>>> take place of Android as an application framework. The process and
>>> questions pretty much remain the same as for Android. 4. C/C++: Or
>>> write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the device
>>> drivers and achieve the need.

>>
>>Seems like most of these capabilities are already available to you in
>>the phone.
>>You could at least use the phone for development and then port to your
>>target.
>>If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then you
>>can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that you

> need.
>>http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
>>I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java app.
>>Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native development
>>kit (NDK).
>>
>>

> --------------------------------------- Posted through
>
> http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
> Hello,
> Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro. So
> should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP? Will i have to
> write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camera etc?
> Add the drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?


A BSP is a _board_ support package. The next step, if you're going to
use Linux, would be modifying the BSP to work with whatever _board_ that
processor is going on.

If you can get the attention of a Freescale applications engineer, having
a chat with them about what the whole job entails may be a very good
idea. At best, there's some standard treatment to putting the processor
on the board that leaves you with everything working. At worst, you'll
know just how much over your head you're in, and you'll be able to figure
out where to go from here.

--
My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook.
My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook.
Why am I not happy that they have found common ground?

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software
http://www.wescottdesign.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
linnix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
On Dec 15, 5:05*am, "Zarakava" <biju@n_o_s_p_a_m.binaryveda.com>
wrote:
> Hi All,
> * * * *I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
> have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I know
> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the grounds
> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language. Let me
> explain my requirement.
> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a vehicle
> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server using
> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include
> 1. GPS position data
> 2. Accelerometer readings
> 3. Image/Video data
> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate rash
> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
> acceleration/deceleration values
>
> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>
> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who will
> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in that area
> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and designs
> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as made to
> order specs?


Depends on your budget. If you want chip supplier to do it for you,
talk tens of K or even hundreds of K. Otherwise, just hire hardware
engineer like me to do it.

> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port Android
> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it to the
> Android APIs. Then write an Android application.


Android is a framework, running on top of Linux kernel 2.6.

> My device will not have a
> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution and is
> it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above?


Not really, but using Android capable devices save development cost.
Due to volume, the whole device is cheaper than the parts.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Zarakava
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation.
I am not clear on the following points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
1. Who is the creator of BSP. In my understanding it will have to b
Freescale or the respective manufacturer.
2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By modifying the BSP,
think you mean adding drivers for other components or sensors on the boar
like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software Engineer) will have to writ
the drivers for these sensors and the camera chip.If I am lucky i migh
find an already written driver for download.
3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V
Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All other commo
embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are RISC based
Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.
>On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote:
>(top posting fixed)
>>
>>
>>>On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
>>>> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i have
>>>> entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I

>> know
>>>> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the

>> grounds
>>>> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language.
>>>> Let

>> me
>>>> explain my requirement.
>>>> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a

>> vehicle
>>>> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server

>> using
>>>> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include 1. GPS position data
>>>> 2. Accelerometer readings
>>>> 3. Image/Video data
>>>> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicat

rash
>>>> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
>>>> acceleration/deceleration values
>>>>
>>>> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>>>>
>>>> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Wh

will
>>>> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy i

that
>> area
>>>> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and

>> designs
>>>> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as
>>>> made

>> to
>>>> order specs?
>>>> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port

>> Android
>>>> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook i

to
>> the
>>>> Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not
>>>> have

>> a
>>>> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solutio

and
>> is
>>>> it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above? 3. Qt: I am
>>>> least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt

>> can
>>>> take place of Android as an application framework. The process and
>>>> questions pretty much remain the same as for Android. 4. C/C++: Or
>>>> write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the device
>>>> drivers and achieve the need.
>>>
>>>Seems like most of these capabilities are already available to you in
>>>the phone.
>>>You could at least use the phone for development and then port to your
>>>target.
>>>If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then you
>>>can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that you

>> need.
>>>http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
>>>I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java app.
>>>Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native development
>>>kit (NDK).
>>>
>>>

>> --------------------------------------- Posted through
>>
>> http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
>> Hello,
>> Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro. So
>> should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP? Will i have to
>> write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camera etc?
>> Add the drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?

>
>A BSP is a _board_ support package. The next step, if you're going to
>use Linux, would be modifying the BSP to work with whatever _board_ that
>processor is going on.
>
>If you can get the attention of a Freescale applications engineer, having


>a chat with them about what the whole job entails may be a very good
>idea. At best, there's some standard treatment to putting the processor
>on the board that leaves you with everything working. At worst, you'll
>know just how much over your head you're in, and you'll be able to figure


>out where to go from here.
>
>--
>My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook.
>My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook.
>Why am I not happy that they have found common ground?
>
>Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software
>http://www.wescottdesign.com
>


---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
linnix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
On Dec 15, 9:13*am, "Zarakava" <biju@n_o_s_p_a_m.binaryveda.com>
wrote:
> Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation.
> I am not clear on the following points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
> 1. Who is the creator of BSP. In my understanding it will have to be
> Freescale or the respective manufacturer.
> 2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By modifying the BSP,i
> think you mean adding drivers for other components or sensors on the board
> like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software Engineer) will have to write
> the drivers for these sensors and the camera chip.If I am lucky i might
> find an already written driver for download.
> 3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V4
> Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All other common
> embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are RISC based.
> Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.


Yes, MCF5445 (BGA) boards will be expensive. I can understand GSM,
GPS and ACC in your app, but why image sensor? Where is it pointing
to? For what? Without the image sensor, you can probably use a much
cheaper micro.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Wescott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:13:17 -0600, Zarakava wrote:

(top posting fixed _again_)

>>On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:47:16 -0600, Zarakava wrote: (top posting fixed)
>>>
>>>
>>>>On 12/15/2011 8:05 AM, Zarakava wrote:
>>>>> I am a mobile application developer and this is the first time i
>>>>> have entered into developing an embedded application from scratch. I
>>> know
>>>>> that the title is a bit misleading and there will be rebuts in the
>>> grounds
>>>>> that Android is an OS and Qt is a framework and C/C++ is a language.
>>>>> Let
>>> me
>>>>> explain my requirement.
>>>>> I need to develop an embedded device which will be installed in a
>>> vehicle
>>>>> and it will periodically send telemetrics data to the cloud server
>>> using
>>>>> GSM modem. The telemetrics will include 1. GPS position data 2.
>>>>> Accelerometer readings
>>>>> 3. Image/Video data
>>>>> 4. It needs to light up a bulb on the device to visually indicate

> rash
>>>>> driving to the driver based on algorithms derived from
>>>>> acceleration/deceleration values
>>>>>
>>>>> I am looking forward to suggestions in the following areas:-
>>>>>
>>>>> 1. How to select an appropriate processor, sensor components? Who

> will
>>>>> design the board? Do the silicon suppliers provide consultancy in

> that
>>> area
>>>>> or does an hardware engineer select the processors, components and
>>> designs
>>>>> the board,the board design is then given to the silicon supplier as
>>>>> made
>>> to
>>>>> order specs?
>>>>> 2. Android: Is it feasible to to port Linux for Android. Then port
>>> Android
>>>>> on top of that. Write Android ready device drivers and then hook it

> to
>>> the
>>>>> Android APIs. Then write an Android application. My device will not
>>>>> have
>>> a
>>>>> display or a HMI. So is Android really adding value to my solution

> and
>>> is
>>>>> it worth to go through all the efforts mentioned above? 3. Qt: I am
>>>>> least experienced in Qt. But my understanding is that Qt
>>> can
>>>>> take place of Android as an application framework. The process and
>>>>> questions pretty much remain the same as for Android. 4. C/C++: Or
>>>>> write C/C++ programs which will directly interact with the device
>>>>> drivers and achieve the need.
>>>>
>>>>Seems like most of these capabilities are already available to you in
>>>>the phone.
>>>>You could at least use the phone for development and then port to your
>>>>target.
>>>>If you plan to focus on Android and don't want to use a phone, then
>>>>you can look at the Arduino platform and add the components that you
>>> need.
>>>>http://store.arduino.cc/ww/index.php
>>>>I think you can do most of what you want under Android with a Java
>>>>app. Anything above that you could then use C++ using the native
>>>>development kit (NDK).
>>>>
>>>>
>>> --------------------------------------- Posted through
>>>
>>> http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
>>> Hello,
>>> Just heard that the client is going with Freescale MCF5445x micro. So
>>> should the next step be flashing Freescale Linux BSP? Will i have to
>>> write the kernel drivers for Accelerometer , GPS , Camera etc? Add the
>>> drivers, cross compile the kernel and flash it again?

>>
>>A BSP is a _board_ support package. The next step, if you're going to
>>use Linux, would be modifying the BSP to work with whatever _board_ that
>>processor is going on.
>>
>>If you can get the attention of a Freescale applications engineer,
>>having

>
>>a chat with them about what the whole job entails may be a very good
>>idea. At best, there's some standard treatment to putting the processor
>>on the board that leaves you with everything working. At worst, you'll
>>know just how much over your head you're in, and you'll be able to
>>figure

>
>>out where to go from here.
>>


> Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation. I am not clear on the following
> points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
>
> 1. Who is the creator of BSP. In
> my understanding it will have to be Freescale or the respective
> manufacturer.


Anyone who writes it. It doesn't have to be the manufacturer, but it's
nice if you don't have to write it.

Keep in mind that your client is going to buy a _processor_ to build a
_board_ -- that makes _them_ the "board manufacturer" -- which means that
they are on the hook to write the _board_ support package.

Hopefully Freescale will have a BSP written for some eval board, and your
client will be willing to stay pretty close to the core functionality of
that eval board in their board design. If they do, then you will have a
lot less work porting the BSP.

> 2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By
> modifying the BSP, i think you mean adding drivers for other components
> or sensors on the board like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software
> Engineer) will have to write the drivers for these sensors and the
> camera chip.If I am lucky i might find an already written driver for
> download.


Correct. And if the board design deviates from what the BSP 'expects'
you'll have to fix that, too.

You may find drivers, but you'll almost certainly have to modify them to
match your particular hardware, the particular way it's connected to the
chip, and the particular version of the OS that you're using.

You may also be able to hack the drivers into user space, if you can
choke the necessary permissions to access hardware out of Linux. This is
generally bad style, but not in a way that greatly impacts the quality of
the software for a single version of a product, so for your specific case
it may be the best overall solution.

> 3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V4
> Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All other
> common embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are
> RISC based. Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.


It affects what the processor is capable of, but AFAIK the 68K is a nice
processor, so that certainly doesn't rule out its use.

--
My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook.
My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook.
Why am I not happy that they have found common ground?

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software
http://www.wescottdesign.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Zarakava
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Hi Linnix,
Image sensors because along with telemetric data, even images are capture
and sent to the cloud server.



>On Dec 15, 9:13=A0am, "Zarakava" <biju@n_o_s_p_a_m.binaryveda.com>
>wrote:
>> Thanks a lot Tim for the explanation.
>> I am not clear on the following points. Kindly correct me if I am wrong
>> 1. Who is the creator of BSP. In my understanding it will have to be
>> Freescale or the respective manufacturer.
>> 2. The BSP will have an OS image with core drivers. By modifying th

BSP,=
> i
>> think you mean adding drivers for other components or sensors on th

boar=
>d
>> like GPS etc. In my understanding i(Software Engineer) will have t

write
>> the drivers for these sensors and the camera chip.If I am lucky i might
>> find an already written driver for download.
>> 3. I find that Freescale MCF5445X series are the Coldfire V4
>> Microprocessors which is based on 68K(CISC) architecture. All othe

commo=
>n
>> embedded system instruction set architectures like ARM, PPC are RIS

base=
>d.
>> Will that affect the choice of the processor in anyways.

>
>Yes, MCF5445 (BGA) boards will be expensive. I can understand GSM,
>GPS and ACC in your app, but why image sensor? Where is it pointing
>to? For what? Without the image sensor, you can probably use a much
>cheaper micro.
>
>


---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gizmodo on Android Mark Swellman Apple 39 06-14-2010 02:17 PM
HP Compaq Airlife 100 Netbook with Android jenneylist Laptops 0 02-18-2010 08:10 AM
HP Compaq Airlife 100 Netbook with Android jenneylist HP 0 02-18-2010 08:04 AM
Android, the tsunami that's going to wipe the iPhone off the map Priam Apple 27 04-02-2008 01:49 PM
Paranoid Android & Safari Lawrance Allen Schneider Apple 3 12-20-2005 03:21 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment