Another 7NJL6 Problem

Guts

Hey guys and gals, Iím new here so bear with me please. Anyhow, my
system specs are as follows

7NJL6 Mobo
x2 512 ddr 400 ram strips
AMD 3000+ cpu
450w psu
geforce 6600 256ddr vid card
WinXP SP2 OS
Creative 5.1 sound
(all peripheral drivers are up to date)

Iíve read through a few of the threads here about this mobo and Iím at
the point where Iím out of solutions :? Basically my system runs
fine when I run windows and basic programs (word, iexplorer) Whenever
I run certain games the computer either hardlocks, reboots, or gives
me a BSOD.

Iíve swapped out the psu, done memory checks, tried multiple video
cards, Iíve opened up the case and had 2 tabletop fans on it too. Iím
pretty sure its not a heat issue, the memory is new and has been
scanned (comes up clean). The other peripherals were all used in my
other box and work fine (sound card, vid card, HDs, DvD drive)

Iíve done all the standard tests: Reinstalled windows, scan disk,
defragged, checked for viruses, checked for spyware. All scans come
back clean.

Anyways, I set windows to not restart upon fatal errors so I could get
the error message. It comes up as 0x0000008e. Iíve read a few things
on this. A few articles said it was a power supply issue, another
said it was the nforce chipset the board uses. *Shrug* Iím at a loss
folks. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to add my BIOS setting are all set on optimal (stable)
Nothing is overclocked and all shadowing/caching options are switched
off.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaint...pict58449.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=295618

uddarts

"Guts" wrote:
> Hey guys and gals, I'm new here so bear with me please.
> Anyhow, my system specs are as follows
>
> 7NJL6 Mobo
> x2 512 ddr 400 ram strips
> AMD 3000+ cpu
> 450w psu
> geforce 6600 256ddr vid card
> WinXP SP2 OS
> Creative 5.1 sound
> (all peripheral drivers are up to date)
>
> I've read through a few of the threads here about this mobo
> and I'm at the point where I'm out of solutions :? Basically
> my system runs fine when I run windows and basic programs
> (word, iexplorer) Whenever I run certain games the computer
> either hardlocks, reboots, or gives me a BSOD.
>
> I've swapped out the psu, done memory checks, tried multiple
> video cards, I've opened up the case and had 2 tabletop fans
> on it too. I'm pretty sure its not a heat issue, the memory
> is new and has been scanned (comes up clean). The other
> peripherals were all used in my other box and work fine (sound
> card, vid card, HDs, DvD drive)
>
> I've done all the standard tests: Reinstalled windows, scan
> disk, defragged, checked for viruses, checked for spyware.
> All scans come back clean.
>
> Anyways, I set windows to [b:bc388a0099]not[/b:bc388a0099]
> restart upon fatal errors so I could get the error message.
> It comes up as 0x0000008e. I've read a few things on this. A
> few articles said it was a power supply issue, another said it
> was the nforce chipset the board uses. *Shrug* I'm at a loss
> folks. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> EDIT: I forgot to add my BIOS setting are all set on optimal
> (stable) Nothing is overclocked and all shadowing/caching
> options are switched off.

we need a head banger icon donít we?

do you have your mem running 166 to match the cpu? have you tried 1
stick at a time? are the 2 stick matched or at least the same timing
specs?

what cpu cooler are you using?

have you tried running prime95?

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

if you can get thru 5 or 6 hours of prime95, itís probably a driver
issue.

ud

Guts

"uddarts" wrote:
> we need a head banger icon don't we?
>
> do you have your mem running 166 to match the cpu? have you
> tried 1 stick at a time? are the 2 stick matched or at least
> the same timing specs?
>
> what cpu cooler are you using?
>
> have you tried running prime95?
>
> http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
>
> if you can get thru 5 or 6 hours of prime95, it's probably a
> driver issue.
>

> ud

Well I replaced the heatsink yesterday. I was using an aftermarket
one, I think its called Ultra or something. Its claim to fame is a
copper bottom. Anyhow, something was bugging me yesterday about the
heatsink. So I popped it off and checked the thermal compound...sure
thing...a chunk of it got smudged off when I set the heatsink in.
(Yah I know, noob PC builder mistake :cry: ) I grabbed another
heatsink, replaced the goo and it works fine now.

About the memory frequency: I was running it at 166 but it was
somewhat unstable. I dropped with down to 133 (which sux) but its
much more stable now.

Iíll have to play around with the ram slots. As far as ram timing.
Iím really not too saavy with that. Might anyone recommend some links
for me to read up on for ram timing? Thanks again.

uddarts

"Guts" wrote:
> Well I replaced the heatsink yesterday. I was using an
> aftermarket one, I think its called Ultra or something. Its
> claim to fame is a copper bottom. Anyhow, something was
> bugging me yesterday about the heatsink. So I popped it off
> and checked the thermal compound...sure thing...a chunk of it
> got smudged off when I set the heatsink in. (Yah I know, noob
> PC builder mistake :cry: ) I grabbed another heatsink,
> replaced the goo and it works fine now.
>
> About the memory frequency: I was running it at 166 but it
> was somewhat unstable. I dropped with down to 133 (which sux)
> but its much more stable now.
>
> I'll have to play around with the ram slots. As far as ram
> timing. I'm really not too saavy with that. Might anyone
> recommend some links for me to read up on for ram timing?
> Thanks again.

first, as your probably planning, hit your optimal setting and save.
see if you still have the lockups. you want to at least run 1:1
cpu:ram.

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

will give you the memory timings that the board gives you with
optimal. find the timing the manufacture rated your ram. you can set
that later. you donít have any bios setting to raise voltages to the
cpu or the ram as far as i know. you are going to be limited on what
you can do. there should be a setting in the bios (normal, fast, ultra
& turbo).

stable is your first goal.

ud