Another CPU question

Musashi

I have one PC with an ASUS P4PE using a 2.8 GHz
533 FSB 478 CPU.
Looking around the net I do not see the 3.0GHz
533 FSB CPUs available anymore.
Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?

Many thanks

DaveW

The P4PE cannot use the 800 MHz FSB processors.

--
DaveW

"Musashi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tM1qe.13776$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have one PC with an ASUS P4PE using a 2.8 GHz
> 533 FSB 478 CPU.
> Looking around the net I do not see the 3.0GHz
> 533 FSB CPUs available anymore.
> Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
> Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?
>
> Many thanks

RBM

Go to the Asus CPU support for the P4PE -
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...-us&model=P4PE
There it will show you all the CPU's you can use for that board including
some 800 FSB, which have limitations
"Musashi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tM1qe.13776$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have one PC with an ASUS P4PE using a 2.8 GHz
> 533 FSB 478 CPU.
> Looking around the net I do not see the 3.0GHz
> 533 FSB CPUs available anymore.
> Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
> Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?
>
> Many thanks

Paul

In article <DR4qe.12929$(E-Mail Removed)>, "RBM" <rbm2(remove
this)@optonline.net> wrote:

> Go to the Asus CPU support for the P4PE -
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...-us&model=P4PE
> There it will show you all the CPU's you can use for that board including
> some 800 FSB, which have limitations

The link on that page is broken. To find out the limitations of
running FSB800 Northwood processors on the P4PE, go here:

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/fsb800.htm

To use a FSB800 0.13 micron processor:

1) Upgrade the BIOS to 1006 or later revision, before installing
the new processor.
2) When running at FSB800, you are limited to one stick of DDR400
memory. That is because the chipset runs synchronous, and clocks
the processor and memory with the same clock speed. The best
you could do, is to find a 1GB DDR400 DIMM, with CAS2 64Mx8
memory chips on it. If you add more sticks of memory than a
single DIMM, you will see memory errors. Test with memtest86+
from memtest.org .

The typical user experience with this idea, is that the motherboard
barely works at FSB800/DDR400. The memory will not go more than a
few MHz faster than the DDR400 rate. In some cases, you have to
adjust the clock to give slightly less than FSB800, to get stability.
The Asus cpusupport page shows 3.2Ghz processors as being the top
speed, which will give you a slight improvement over your 2.8Ghz
processor. Running the memory a bit faster will help about 5%.

HTH,
Paul

> "Musashi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tM1qe.13776$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >I have one PC with an ASUS P4PE using a 2.8 GHz
> > 533 FSB 478 CPU.
> > Looking around the net I do not see the 3.0GHz
> > 533 FSB CPUs available anymore.
> > Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
> > Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?
> >
> > Many thanks

Musashi

> In article <DR4qe.12929$(E-Mail Removed)>, "RBM" <rbm2(remove
> this)@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > Go to the Asus CPU support for the P4PE -

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...-us&model=P4PE
> > There it will show you all the CPU's you can use for that board

including
> > some 800 FSB, which have limitations

> The link on that page is broken. To find out the limitations of
> running FSB800 Northwood processors on the P4PE, go here:
>
> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/fsb800.htm
>
> To use a FSB800 0.13 micron processor:
>
> 1) Upgrade the BIOS to 1006 or later revision, before installing
> the new processor.
> 2) When running at FSB800, you are limited to one stick of DDR400
> memory. That is because the chipset runs synchronous, and clocks
> the processor and memory with the same clock speed. The best
> you could do, is to find a 1GB DDR400 DIMM, with CAS2 64Mx8
> memory chips on it. If you add more sticks of memory than a
> single DIMM, you will see memory errors. Test with memtest86+
> from memtest.org .
>
> The typical user experience with this idea, is that the motherboard
> barely works at FSB800/DDR400. The memory will not go more than a
> few MHz faster than the DDR400 rate. In some cases, you have to
> adjust the clock to give slightly less than FSB800, to get stability.
> The Asus cpusupport page shows 3.2Ghz processors as being the top
> speed, which will give you a slight improvement over your 2.8Ghz
> processor. Running the memory a bit faster will help about 5%.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
>
> > "Musashi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:tM1qe.13776$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > >I have one PC with an ASUS P4PE using a 2.8 GHz
> > > 533 FSB 478 CPU.
> > > Looking around the net I do not see the 3.0GHz
> > > 533 FSB CPUs available anymore.
> > > Can the P4PE run the 800 FSB CPUs?
> > > Do they sinply run at 533 FSB?
> > >
> > > Many thanks

Thanks Paul and all who replied.
Looks like either I luck out and find 3.0 533fb CPU or I ought to
do the motherboard switch thing.