Another leaking cap problem?

Joe

I have a Gigabyte GA-6VELM Socket 370 motherboard. My computer has
started to lock up on me recently. I popped the case, and found 3
capacitors leaking some goo from the top. These 3 capacitors are right
next to the processor. When the case is upright, the heat from the CPU
rises right up into the caps. And to top it off, they sit between the
CPU and the power supply.

I don't know who to blame for this fiasco? Gigabyte for using sub-par
capacitors or for their poor placement on the motherboard? This was one
of those cheap Microtel computers they sell on Walmart.com. It has a
cool running VIA C3 800 Mhz processor that was never overclocked. I
guess I shouldn't expect too much for $200 bucks, but it's only a
2-year-old motherboard. It's not worth the cost, time, or effort to
replace the caps with motherboards so cheap nowadays.

My worry is that this is a common problem with Gigabyte motherboards.
Once you have a problem with a particular brand, you tend to shy away
from them in the future. I don't want to have this problem again! Is
this a pervasive problem with Gigabyte motherboards? If this topic has
been covered extensively in the past, my apologies. My intention is
also to alert people that this is still a problem.

Muttley

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a Gigabyte GA-6VELM Socket 370 motherboard. My computer has
> started to lock up on me recently. I popped the case, and found 3
> capacitors leaking some goo from the top. These 3 capacitors are right
> next to the processor. When the case is upright, the heat from the CPU
> rises right up into the caps. And to top it off, they sit between the
> CPU and the power supply.
>
> I don't know who to blame for this fiasco? Gigabyte for using sub-par
> capacitors or for their poor placement on the motherboard? This was one
> of those cheap Microtel computers they sell on Walmart.com. It has a
> cool running VIA C3 800 Mhz processor that was never overclocked. I
> guess I shouldn't expect too much for $200 bucks, but it's only a
> 2-year-old motherboard. It's not worth the cost, time, or effort to
> replace the caps with motherboards so cheap nowadays.
>
> My worry is that this is a common problem with Gigabyte motherboards.
> Once you have a problem with a particular brand, you tend to shy away
> from them in the future. I don't want to have this problem again! Is
> this a pervasive problem with Gigabyte motherboards? If this topic has
> been covered extensively in the past, my apologies. My intention is
> also to alert people that this is still a problem.

Hi,

Visit www.badcaps.net for info about this problem.
It is not a Gigabyte specific problem.
Many brands of motherboards have been affected.

Cheers,

John S.

NewMan

I had an MSI mobo that had this problem. Fortunately, I am an
Electronics Technologist by training, and the company I work for has
an in-house production facility that does all kinds of electronics
assembly and rework!

I just pulled the required parts from inventory, and flashed up the
solder rework station. Problem solved in 5 minutes.

The problems you are seeing are likely related either to one "brand"
of capacitor, or to one particular "factory" that made OEM capacitors
and put other peoples "brand name" on them.

These capacitors would then have been sold to various companies all
over the world - and likely to more than one motherboard manufacturer.

By the time that you discover the sub-standard parts, they are out in
the field installed in computers. This further complicates things.
Even if the motherboard manufacturer were to issue a recall, how would
the end-user know - unless they had registered their ownership of the
board with the manufacturer????

Most people don't bother getting the "boxes" of the stuff that the
system intgraters put into their system. So often the only way they
could get the make, model, and serial number of the mobo would be to
tear the system down - something that most people will not do.

Many times, the capacitors are good enough to get past the warranty
period. So then what? If you don't know what to do, what to look for,
how to repair, or the name of a good shop.... new computer. This is
what I call the North American Auto Maker way of building electronics.
You make them "good enough" that they fail shortly after the warranty
- thus forcing people to buy / consume - and you make money of their
backs!

Don't blame giga-byte for this one. You can bet that the suspect
parts, once discovered, were quaranteened, and then then it is likely
the offending supplier was removed from the approved vendor list.

hth

→→→CAP CAP CAP salewto Embedded 0 09-04-2009 02:49 PM
AOpen AX34-U Leaking capacitors Rob AOpen 0 08-18-2004 10:46 PM
AK77-333 with leaking capacitors. Wizza AOpen 2 01-04-2004 02:33 PM
p4t-533 leaking capacitors? highband678 Asus 5 12-16-2003 02:46 AM
Abit KA7-100 - Leaking Capacitor affecting RAM ? Denis Regan Abit 3 08-14-2003 12:59 PM