Antec Power Supplies Failing

Jim Garrison

I have had THREE (3) Antec power supplies fail in the last 9 months.

The first failure was August 2006, and was a PS that came with an
Antec Sonata case originally purchased in 2005 (I believe it was
a 400W PS). I replaced it with an Antec SP-450.

In November 06 I bought a second case, an Antec Sonata-II for a new
system. This system came with an SP-450, and the power supply
failed in February 07. I couldn't find the receipt so Antec
wouldn't replace it under warranty. I replaced it with a different
brand PS.

Then last week the replacement SP-450 that I purchased in August 06
started failing randomly. It would power up but within 5-10 minutes
the system would stop responding and lose monitor signal (but not
hard disk power). Replacing the PS with a Thermaltake 430W cured
that problem.

I do have the receipt for the replacement SP-450 I bought in August
06 so I'm going to try to get Antec to replace it. We'll see what
happens.

I've had one or more PCs since 1987, and in the 19 years prior to
August 2006 have seen exactly ONE power supply go bad (it was a
spectacular *BANG* and puff of smoke :-) Three bad Antec power
supplies seem to indicate a trend.

Anybody else having problems with Antec?

--
Jim Garrison ((E-Mail Removed))
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

Gary

On 20-Mar-2007, Jim Garrison <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have had THREE (3) Antec power supplies fail in the last 9 months.
>
> The first failure was August 2006, and was a PS that came with an
> Antec Sonata case originally purchased in 2005 (I believe it was
> a 400W PS). I replaced it with an Antec SP-450.
>
> In November 06 I bought a second case, an Antec Sonata-II for a new
> system. This system came with an SP-450, and the power supply
> failed in February 07. I couldn't find the receipt so Antec
> wouldn't replace it under warranty. I replaced it with a different
> brand PS.
>
> Then last week the replacement SP-450 that I purchased in August 06
> started failing randomly. It would power up but within 5-10 minutes
> the system would stop responding and lose monitor signal (but not
> hard disk power). Replacing the PS with a Thermaltake 430W cured
> that problem.
>
> I do have the receipt for the replacement SP-450 I bought in August
> 06 so I'm going to try to get Antec to replace it. We'll see what
> happens.
>
> I've had one or more PCs since 1987, and in the 19 years prior to
> August 2006 have seen exactly ONE power supply go bad (it was a
> spectacular *BANG* and puff of smoke :-) Three bad Antec power
> supplies seem to indicate a trend.
>
> Anybody else having problems with Antec?
>
> --
> Jim Garrison ((E-Mail Removed))
> PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/ I have been buying these since 1998 and
have not had one fail yet. Not cheap.

larry moe 'n curly

Gary wrote:

> http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/ I have been buying these since 1998 and
> have not had one fail yet. Not cheap.

Why not just buy two Seasonics for the same price or less? Very good
quality, and they use the same Teapo brand capacitors found in most
PCP&Cs.

Gary

On 21-Mar-2007, "larry moe 'n curly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why not just buy two Seasonics for the same price or less? Very good
> quality, and they use the same Teapo brand capacitors found in most
> PCP&Cs.

I tried them and had two fail.

Old iMac going dead but starting again after cooling - failing power supply? super70s Apple 10 03-23-2013 03:02 AM
HP Compaq power supply keeps failing mark.fraser74@googlemail.com HP 6 12-07-2007 05:43 PM
Antec TPII 550EPS12V or Cooler Master Real Power 550 power supply??? brian Overclocking 9 05-05-2005 11:21 AM
P4P800-e and Antec power supplies Edward Asus 11 06-26-2004 04:51 PM
Power Supplies - Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please? - TIA Pete AMD Overclocking 9 02-02-2004 09:22 AM