Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Any application that warns of high temperature?

 
 
bornfree
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I am literally going nuts over this.
I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
(pop up box and sound would be nice)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil Weldon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
'bornfree' wrote:
| I am literally going nuts over this.
| I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
| GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
| reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
| (pop up box and sound would be nice)
_____

You do realize that 68 C is a relatively LOW temperature for a heavily
loaded GPU? And that a system crash will occur if the GPU overheats enough
to start throwing errors? And that upon a system crash the GPU will cool
down?

What graphics card(s), what operating system, what motherboard?

nMonitor (a part of nTune by nVidia) has, among other functions, a
temperature level at which a warning will occur. You can select the GPUs to
be monitored (up to three), the alert threshold, and the type of warning
(audio, visual, or message.) nMonitor will also log GPU events (changes to
profile, temperatures, GPU usage, S.M.A.R.T status, and Bus speeds.) I
don't know if the graphics card monitoring functions work if you don't have
a motherboard by nVidia. Also functional problems have been reported with
64-bit Vista.

Phil Weldon

"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I am literally going nuts over this.
| I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
| GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
| reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
| (pop up box and sound would be nice)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dr.White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2007, 07:06 PM

"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am literally going nuts over this.
> I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
> GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
> reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
> (pop up box and sound would be nice)


The latest beta version of speedfan, version 4.34 beta 36, includes
monitoring of Nvidia chipset based cards along with cpu temperature, fan
speed, and alarms, all that business. It's fully configurable, so you can
set your alarm threshold temperatures and all manner of things. You'll
probably have to install version 4.33 first, then go to the beta area and
grab the latest beta file which is a replacement .exe for the main program.

He seems like a very decent fellow too, the author. If you can take the time
to hit the 'info' button and send him a report on your system, he will do
his best to include support for your graphics card and mainboard, if the
program doesn't already support it.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Regards,

Dr.White.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Somewhere on teh interweb Dr.White typed:
> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am literally going nuts over this.
>> I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
>> GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
>> reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
>> (pop up box and sound would be nice)

>
> The latest beta version of speedfan, version 4.34 beta 36, includes
> monitoring of Nvidia chipset based cards along with cpu temperature,
> fan speed, and alarms, all that business. It's fully configurable, so
> you can set your alarm threshold temperatures and all manner of
> things. You'll probably have to install version 4.33 first, then go
> to the beta area and grab the latest beta file which is a replacement
> .exe for the main program.
> He seems like a very decent fellow too, the author. If you can take
> the time to hit the 'info' button and send him a report on your
> system, he will do his best to include support for your graphics card
> and mainboard, if the program doesn't already support it.
>
> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php


Indeed. An excellent fellow. I'm using 4.33 (on an Intel P35) and it picks
up my 7800GT as "nVidia Core" (currently 42C). There is an option on one of
the many tabs to set a threshold for high-temp warning.

SpeedFan. I have it installed on all my machines. (Yet I've never used it
for controlling fan speed, only for monitoring, especially the "Charts" tab
for tracking temp changes).

Ciao,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
treefrog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2007, 04:49 AM
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:48:08 -0500, "Phil Weldon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>'bornfree' wrote:
>| I am literally going nuts over this.
>| I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
>| GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
>| reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
>| (pop up box and sound would be nice)
>_____
>
>You do realize that 68 C is a relatively LOW temperature for a heavily
>loaded GPU? And that a system crash will occur if the GPU overheats enough
>to start throwing errors? And that upon a system crash the GPU will cool
>down?
>
>What graphics card(s), what operating system, what motherboard?
>
>nMonitor (a part of nTune by nVidia) has, among other functions, a
>temperature level at which a warning will occur. You can select the GPUs to
>be monitored (up to three), the alert threshold, and the type of warning
>(audio, visual, or message.) nMonitor will also log GPU events (changes to
>profile, temperatures, GPU usage, S.M.A.R.T status, and Bus speeds.) I
>don't know if the graphics card monitoring functions work if you don't have
>a motherboard by nVidia. Also functional problems have been reported with
>64-bit Vista.
>
>Phil Weldon
>
>"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>|I am literally going nuts over this.
>| I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
>| GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
>| reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
>| (pop up box and sound would be nice)
>

ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Weldon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
'treefrog' wrote:
| ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
_____

But ASUS Probe II only works for ASUS motherboards.

Phil Weldon

"treefrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:48:08 -0500, "Phil Weldon"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >'bornfree' wrote:
| >| I am literally going nuts over this.
| >| I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
| >| GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
| >| reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
| >| (pop up box and sound would be nice)
| >_____
| >
| >You do realize that 68 C is a relatively LOW temperature for a heavily
| >loaded GPU? And that a system crash will occur if the GPU overheats
enough
| >to start throwing errors? And that upon a system crash the GPU will cool
| >down?
| >
| >What graphics card(s), what operating system, what motherboard?
| >
| >nMonitor (a part of nTune by nVidia) has, among other functions, a
| >temperature level at which a warning will occur. You can select the GPUs
to
| >be monitored (up to three), the alert threshold, and the type of warning
| >(audio, visual, or message.) nMonitor will also log GPU events (changes
to
| >profile, temperatures, GPU usage, S.M.A.R.T status, and Bus speeds.) I
| >don't know if the graphics card monitoring functions work if you don't
have
| >a motherboard by nVidia. Also functional problems have been reported
with
| >64-bit Vista.
| >
| >Phil Weldon
| >
| >"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >|I am literally going nuts over this.
| >| I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when my
| >| GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
| >| reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
| >| (pop up box and sound would be nice)
| >
| ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
| Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Somewhere on teh interweb Phil Weldon typed:
> 'treefrog' wrote:
>> ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.

> _____
>
> But ASUS Probe II only works for ASUS motherboards.


And then it's flaky. I don't trust it. It's the only util I have that gives
the same vcore readout as CPU-Z but now and then it does silly things like
sounds alarms for temps, vcore... whatever. It gave me a vcore warning the
last time I used it, said my vcore had hit 3.7V! I freaked, checked CPU-Z
and it was it's usual 1.360.

I don't use Asus Probe II anymore.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

> Phil Weldon
>
> "treefrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:48:08 -0500, "Phil Weldon"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> 'bornfree' wrote:
>>>> I am literally going nuts over this.
>>>> I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when
>>>> my GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
>>>> reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
>>>> (pop up box and sound would be nice)
>>> _____
>>>
>>> You do realize that 68 C is a relatively LOW temperature for a
>>> heavily loaded GPU? And that a system crash will occur if the GPU
>>> overheats enough to start throwing errors? And that upon a system
>>> crash the GPU will cool down?
>>>
>>> What graphics card(s), what operating system, what motherboard?
>>>
>>> nMonitor (a part of nTune by nVidia) has, among other functions, a
>>> temperature level at which a warning will occur. You can select
>>> the GPUs to be monitored (up to three), the alert threshold, and
>>> the type of warning (audio, visual, or message.) nMonitor will
>>> also log GPU events (changes to profile, temperatures, GPU usage,
>>> S.M.A.R.T status, and Bus speeds.) I don't know if the graphics
>>> card monitoring functions work if you don't have a motherboard by
>>> nVidia. Also functional problems have been reported with 64-bit
>>> Vista.
>>>
>>> Phil Weldon
>>>
>>> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> I am literally going nuts over this.
>>>> I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when
>>>> my GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
>>>> reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
>>>> (pop up box and sound would be nice)
>>>

>> ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
>> Bob




 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Weldon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
'~misfit~', replying to
| > 'treefrog'

| >> ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
| > _____

replying to 'Phil Weldon'

| > But ASUS Probe II only works for ASUS motherboards.

wrote:
| And then it's flaky. I don't trust it. It's the only util I have that
gives
| the same vcore readout as CPU-Z but now and then it does silly things like
| sounds alarms for temps, vcore... whatever. It gave me a vcore warning the
| last time I used it, said my vcore had hit 3.7V! I freaked, checked CPU-Z
| and it was it's usual 1.360.
|
| I don't use Asus Probe II anymore.
_____

Alien abductees thank you B^)

I have yet to find a system health utility that is more than just barely
useful with my EVGA 680i SL motherboard. While the Phoenix Award BIOS
reports core voltage, +5 v, +12 v, +3.3 v, and battery voltage reliably (I
think, so far). The BIOS also has FIVE fans listed, all with speed control
settings, but only 3 of the fans report a speed (I have 4 fans plugged in:
4-pin 100mm fan on ThermalTake 7i, 3-pin 50 mm fan on chipset fan, and two
3-pin 80mm chassis fans. The BIOS reports four temperatures: CPU core,
chipset, motherboard, and GPU.

But while the nVidia Monitor reports speeds for 3 fans, NONE OF THE RPMs
reported change at all when the fans are mechanically slowed or stopped!

The 3 temperatures reported by nVidia Monitor (CPU, chipset, and GPU) seem
to be correct, but why no motherboard temperature?

nVidia Monitor reports no power supply voltages, but does report 7 system
voltages. According to the 'tool tips'
each of the 7 reported voltages 'displays and tracks the voltages for system
components'. But this is not true; the displayed voltages are the voltages
SELECTED in the BIOS, do not change unless the BIOS parameters are changed,
and does NOT track the ACTUAL voltages.

Also, nVidia Monitor reports 7 system frequencies;
CPU core
FSB
Memory
SPP PCI-E
MPC PCI-E
GPU core (3D)
GPU memory.
All well and good, but SPP PCI-E and MPC PCI-E are reported as 2500 MHz!
(with a 1200 MHz FSB and a 1200 MHz Memory setting (1:1 CPU clock : Memory
clock ratio) Somehow that just does not look right to me.

On the other hand, with nTune, more than 40 system parameters can be
individually changed on-the-fly from Windows; most can also be changed
collectively by loading a profile from Windows. Which abilities I would
gladly give up for trustworthy reporting, in real time; system and power
supply voltages, all fan speed for fans connected to the motherboard with
4-pin or 3-pin connectors; and TAT like reporting of each core temperature,
the chipset temperature, the motherboard temperature, the GPU temperature.

ALL of the third party system health utilities have problems that are at
least as bad as those in nVidia Monitor (and I've tried all the usual
suspects.

SpeedFan does seem to be moving in the right direction, and it does
correctly the Winbond Super IO chip W83627DGHas W but even the late November
2007 beta does not explicitly support my motherboard; errors include a
somewhat too low CPU core voltage, erratic fan speed control, only two fan
speeds reported, and a +12v power supply reported as under 10 volts. While
SpeedFan 4.33 reports NINE temperatures
System: -65 C
CPU: 27 C
AUX: 35 C
HD0: 28 C
HD1: 26 C
Core 0: 30 C
Core1: 31 C
Core: 50 C
Ambient: 0 C

only seven seem to be correct, and no amount of fiddling with sensor types
can make sense of the minus -65 C system temperature and the 0 C Ambient
temperature ( I wish! ).

I don't have any way to check whether motherboard that are explicitly
supported by SpeedFan eliminate some or all of the problems I see.

I long for the days of the rock solid Motherboard Monitor. Then again,
there were VERY few values, other than power supply values, that the
motherboards had the capability of supplying to a system health monitor.

I greatly fault nVidia for producing a system health monitor with so many
problems, especially since the nVidia chipset and implementation have
extreme performance and overclocking as the justification for the high
prices!

I'd be grateful for suggestions of other system health monitor utilities.

Phil Weldon

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Somewhere on teh interweb Phil Weldon typed:
| > 'treefrog' wrote:
| >> ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
| > _____
| >
| > But ASUS Probe II only works for ASUS motherboards.
|
| And then it's flaky. I don't trust it. It's the only util I have that
gives
| the same vcore readout as CPU-Z but now and then it does silly things like
| sounds alarms for temps, vcore... whatever. It gave me a vcore warning the
| last time I used it, said my vcore had hit 3.7V! I freaked, checked CPU-Z
| and it was it's usual 1.360.
|
| I don't use Asus Probe II anymore.
| --
| TTFN,
|
| Shaun.
|
| > Phil Weldon
| >
| > "treefrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:48:08 -0500, "Phil Weldon"
| >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| >>
| >>> 'bornfree' wrote:
| >>>> I am literally going nuts over this.
| >>>> I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when
| >>>> my GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
| >>>> reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
| >>>> (pop up box and sound would be nice)
| >>> _____
| >>>
| >>> You do realize that 68 C is a relatively LOW temperature for a
| >>> heavily loaded GPU? And that a system crash will occur if the GPU
| >>> overheats enough to start throwing errors? And that upon a system
| >>> crash the GPU will cool down?
| >>>
| >>> What graphics card(s), what operating system, what motherboard?
| >>>
| >>> nMonitor (a part of nTune by nVidia) has, among other functions, a
| >>> temperature level at which a warning will occur. You can select
| >>> the GPUs to be monitored (up to three), the alert threshold, and
| >>> the type of warning (audio, visual, or message.) nMonitor will
| >>> also log GPU events (changes to profile, temperatures, GPU usage,
| >>> S.M.A.R.T status, and Bus speeds.) I don't know if the graphics
| >>> card monitoring functions work if you don't have a motherboard by
| >>> nVidia. Also functional problems have been reported with 64-bit
| >>> Vista.
| >>>
| >>> Phil Weldon
| >>>
| >>> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >>>
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >>>> I am literally going nuts over this.
| >>>> I desperately need an application that will actually WARN me when
| >>>> my GPU temp goes over 68c or something similar. So many temperature
| >>>> reading applications out there, but none of them freaking warn me!
| >>>> (pop up box and sound would be nice)
| >>>
| >> ASUS' PC Probe II will do that, plus more if you want.
| >> Bob
|
|
|


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Somewhere on teh interweb Phil Weldon typed:


<mucho snipping>

> I long for the days of the rock solid Motherboard Monitor.


So do I! I still have it installed on this machine, (P5K-E) mainly for it's
ability to track the temps of the 3 Seagate SATA HDDs and keep a record of
high/low/average temps over a "session".

(However, sadly, it won't pick up the temp sensor in an IDE HDD that I just
connected via the on-board JMicron controller. Niether will Speedfan 4.33. I
really dislike not knowing a temp, especially as this HDD isn't in as good
an area of airflow as the SATA drives so I can't really extrapolate, or
interpolate, or accurately guess, whichever is the correct term. <g>)

> I'd be grateful for suggestions of other system health monitor
> utilities.


As would I Phil, as would I. I'd love to have an idea of that IDE HDD temp.
Even a snap-shot of it so I can compare it to other temp and get some idea
of where it stands.

I've been particularly paranoid about HDD temps ever since my flatmate
"cooked" a new Samsung Spinpoint by situating it in a "dead air" area of the
case, in a 5 1/2" bay between two optical drives. No amount of tweaking will
make that drive reliable again, including Samsung's utility (that's supposed
to re-map bad sectors) and SpinRite 6.0. A New Zealand summer can get hot.
Dead spots inside computer cases can get hotter still. :-(
--
Cheers,

Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr.White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2007, 02:54 AM

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47573f10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh interweb Phil Weldon typed:
>
>
> <mucho snipping>
>
>> I long for the days of the rock solid Motherboard Monitor.

>
> So do I! I still have it installed on this machine, (P5K-E) mainly for
> it's ability to track the temps of the 3 Seagate SATA HDDs and keep a
> record of high/low/average temps over a "session".
>
> (However, sadly, it won't pick up the temp sensor in an IDE HDD that I
> just connected via the on-board JMicron controller. Niether will Speedfan
> 4.33. I really dislike not knowing a temp, especially as this HDD isn't in
> as good an area of airflow as the SATA drives so I can't really
> extrapolate, or interpolate, or accurately guess, whichever is the correct
> term. <g>)
>
>> I'd be grateful for suggestions of other system health monitor
>> utilities.

>
> As would I Phil, as would I. I'd love to have an idea of that IDE HDD
> temp. Even a snap-shot of it so I can compare it to other temp and get
> some idea of where it stands.
>
> I've been particularly paranoid about HDD temps ever since my flatmate
> "cooked" a new Samsung Spinpoint by situating it in a "dead air" area of
> the case, in a 5 1/2" bay between two optical drives. No amount of
> tweaking will make that drive reliable again, including Samsung's utility
> (that's supposed to re-map bad sectors) and SpinRite 6.0. A New Zealand
> summer can get hot. Dead spots inside computer cases can get hotter still.
> :-(
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Shaun.

Hello mate,

I wonder if S.M.A.R.T. is enabled for your IDE HDD via the Jmicron
controller or your BIOS, or maybe even through a download from the HDD
vendor's site. For instance, Hitachi offer downloads such as drive fitness
test for their drives.

Speedfan 4.33 is ok with my drive, it provides a temperature plus an
in-depth analysis of the fitness, performance, graphs, all that stuff, and
the good man Alfredo who writes Speedfan is, as I stated before, most
helpful and doesn't mind responding to queries via email.

Cooked a Spinpoint eh? That's worrying news. I'd be interested to know what
temps caused that sort of problem - I think I told you about that 10,000rpm
drive inside one of my samplers - there's no room around it except maybe 5mm
either side, all I could do was wire a tiny fan to the PSU and blow
re-circulated air at it. It's rated to run at 65C, all I know is it's too
hot to keep your finger on for more than about 10 seconds.

Inside my non-ventilated case, the hottest I can get my drive is about 47C.
Three years of hammer this drive has taken, and S.M.A.R.T. reports 94%
fitness / performance, some figure to do with the spin-up time is the only
parameter that is not 100%. With a well ventilated case such as yours, I
think it's very unlikely that heat damage would occur. There wouldn't be any
dead spots with your positive pressure setup, would there?

Regards,

Dr.White.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expert Warns of Economic 9/11 for U.S. info@investinginfo.com Epox 1 07-14-2006 11:57 PM
Expert Warns of Economic 9/11 for U.S. info@investinginfo.com ECS 0 07-14-2006 01:01 AM
Expert Warns of Economic 9/11 for U.S. info@investinginfo.com Chaintech 0 07-14-2006 01:01 AM
Expert Warns of Economic 9/11 for U.S. info@investinginfo.com AOpen 0 07-14-2006 01:01 AM
EU Warns Microsoft over Vista Features journey Dell 11 04-02-2006 02:17 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment