Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Any decent USB->Serial for laptop ?

 
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I'd like to control a Sun from a laptop which has no serial port. I
bought one of these USB-> Serial things from Dabs which is made by
"Sweex". But it is not reliable on the Sun. It seems to hang if a break
is sent most of the time.

Anyone aware of a decent USB to serial adapter I can use on a laptop
which works reliably with a Sun workstation? If so, please post make/model.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Dave wrote:
> I'd like to control a Sun from a laptop which has no serial port. I
> bought one of these USB-> Serial things from Dabs which is made by
> "Sweex". But it is not reliable on the Sun. It seems to hang if a break
> is sent most of the time.
>
> Anyone aware of a decent USB to serial adapter I can use on a laptop
> which works reliably with a Sun workstation? If so, please post make/model.
>
>
>
>



PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Casper H.S. Dik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
>Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?



usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver

(These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
choice for laptops anyway)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
>> Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

>
>
> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
> usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
> usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
>
> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
> choice for laptops anyway)
>
> Casper


Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in Vista
for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?

From what I gather, some of these things work ok for things like
syncing PDAs, but are less relieable for more "industrial" usage. I'm
not sure where Suns fit in that lot.

I guess I would hope someone writing a Solaris driver would test it on a
Sun serial console, but I don't know that.

Theres a review on Amazon of one from Startech which suggests it is ok
for programming a wide range of industrial devices, which might give me
some hope it will work on a Sun workstation, but I dont know.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
>> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
>>> Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

>>
>>
>> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
>> usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
>> usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
>>
>> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
>> choice for laptops anyway)
>>
>> Casper


>Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in Vista
>for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?


> From what I gather, some of these things work ok for things like
>syncing PDAs, but are less relieable for more "industrial" usage. I'm
>not sure where Suns fit in that lot.



I don't use them under Solaris, but Keyspan has always been super
reliable for me for doing anything under a variety of other OSs.
I can drive anything in windows or OSX that I need to with them.

I found several bugs in the prolific drivers that Prolific provides on
windows/OSX.. (This is what many of the cheaper serial dongel brands
are anyway), so thats probably one to stay away from, even if they are
everywhere and really cheap.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 02:01 PM
On 21 Mar 2008 13:49:57 GMT
Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> >> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >>
> >>> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop
> >>> runs Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with
> >>> Solaris drivers?
> >>
> >>
> >> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial
> >> converter driver usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to
> >> serial converter driver usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific
> >> PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
> >>
> >> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
> >> choice for laptops anyway)
> >>
> >> Casper

>
> >Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in
> >Vista for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?

>
> > From what I gather, some of these things work ok for things like
> >syncing PDAs, but are less relieable for more "industrial" usage.
> >I'm not sure where Suns fit in that lot.

>
>
> I don't use them under Solaris, but Keyspan has always been super
> reliable for me for doing anything under a variety of other OSs.
> I can drive anything in windows or OSX that I need to with them.
>
> I found several bugs in the prolific drivers that Prolific provides on
> windows/OSX.. (This is what many of the cheaper serial dongel
> brands are anyway), so thats probably one to stay away from, even if
> they are everywhere and really cheap.
>
>

Hi
Here is an article on the Keyspan and solaris
http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/v...al_device.html

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp
up 8 days 11:44, 1 user, load average: 0.21, 0.20, 0.18

 
Reply With Quote
 
Cydrome Leader
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'd like to control a Sun from a laptop which has no serial port. I
> bought one of these USB-> Serial things from Dabs which is made by
> "Sweex". But it is not reliable on the Sun. It seems to hang if a break
> is sent most of the time.
>
> Anyone aware of a decent USB to serial adapter I can use on a laptop
> which works reliably with a Sun workstation? If so, please post make/model.


the only reliable usb to serial dongle I've come across is the digi
edgeport/1.

It's not cheap, but again, it's the only one that works well I've ever
come across.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Casper H.S. Dik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
>> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> PS, I should have added I need Vista drivers. OR, since my laptop runs
>>> Solaris 10 too, are there any USB->Serial adapters with Solaris drivers?

>>
>>
>> usbser_edge usbser_edge (7d) - Digi Edgeport USB to serial converter driver
>> usbsksp usbsksp (7d) - Keyspan USB to serial converter driver
>> usbsprl usbsprl (7d) - Prolific PL2303 USB to serial converter driver
>>
>> (These work in Solaris nevada which generally is the better
>> choice for laptops anyway)
>>
>> Casper


>Do you know if any of the above have drivers which work well in Vista
>for controlling Suns? Or Solaris for controlling Suns?


I've tested the prolific and I'm sure that testing them as serial
devices for Suns is one of the more important tasks.

I don't use Vista so I can't comment on what drivers are
available there.

>I guess I would hope someone writing a Solaris driver would test it on a
>Sun serial console, but I don't know that.


It's what our support folks use.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any decent games ? johns ATI 10 01-27-2005 12:36 PM
GExCUBE X800 PRO 256MB DDR3 this a decent brand any reviews ? OCZ Guy ATI 0 08-05-2004 03:06 PM
Any decent boards with integrated audio/video? Walter Cohen AMD Overclocking 5 05-08-2004 12:00 PM
Any decent tweaking sites for gigabyte boards Lynne Gigabyte 1 11-27-2003 07:01 AM
Any Decent Gigabyte Forums..? Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz Gigabyte 7 11-12-2003 09:07 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment