Any serial analyzer recommendations?

fredbasset1000@gmail.com

Hi All,

I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
system.
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

Thanks,
Fred

Rich Webb

On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:43:24 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
>system.
>Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
>Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

I use a LogicPort to do that. <http://www.pctestinstruments.com/> The
software (Windows only, I'm afraid) includes interpreters for
asynchronous ("RS-232") serial protocols as well as SPI, I2C, and CAN.

The advantage over multiple physical (or USB-emulated) serial ports is
that you get to observe/record the timing relationship between the
serial data lines, as well as monitoring other digital signals on the
embedded system.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Joerg

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
> system.
> Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
> Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

The program Portmon may work. AFAIK now for free download on the MS
server. No idea what the Linux equivalent would be.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.

linnix

On May 21, 1:00 pm, Joerg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
> > system.
> > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
> > Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

> The program Portmon may work. AFAIK now for free download on the MS
> server. No idea what the Linux equivalent would be.

You can roll your own with pseudo devices: /dev/pty & /dev/tty

Patrick Klos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded
>system.
>Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this?
>Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.
>
>Thanks,
>Fred

Hi Fred,

What kind of serial communications are you trying to look at? Some things
do better than others if you're looking for certain protocols?? For instance,
if you're trying to look at modem and PPP traffic, you might look at my
signature. ;^) Someone else mentioned PORTMON, which is a good generic
serial port monitor for Windows:

Patrick
Patrick Klos Email: (E-Mail Removed)