any way to reduce fan speed?

Larry Gagnon

I have an Abit NF7-S with an XP2500 cooled by a Vantex Aeroflow. The
fan works very well, however, under Win XP Suspend Mode the fan
continues on at its normal RPM of about 5200RPM, when really, it could
drop? Is there any way of forcing that action. I do not see such a
possibility in the Phoenix Award v.600 BIOS nor anywhere else?

Any ideas?

Larry

\(\) |\\/| 3 G /-\\

asus got Q-fan. dymanically changes fan speed according to the temp (it can
control the fan header voltages - cpu, chassis, and presumably PSU if you
connect a thermal probe). it's a bios feature.

there are 4 other alternatives.
1)solder a resistor (unsure on ohmage) into 1 of the fan wires
2) cut the exsisting power connector, and fit a molex connector - able to
get 12v, 7v or 5v depending on how it's wired
3) probably the easiest and most dynamic, a rheobus. a set of rheostats that
control any fans that are connected. this way you can turn up/down your rpm
as required.
4)wire up a thermistor of the correct value into the fan's wires. this is
(if you dont know) a temperature controlled resistor that varies it's ohmage
according to temp. maybe thermal epoxy the thermistor to the bottom of the
HS's fins, or somehow fix it inside the cpu socket

tim
"Larry Gagnon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an Abit NF7-S with an XP2500 cooled by a Vantex Aeroflow. The
> fan works very well, however, under Win XP Suspend Mode the fan
> continues on at its normal RPM of about 5200RPM, when really, it could
> drop? Is there any way of forcing that action. I do not see such a
> possibility in the Phoenix Award v.600 BIOS nor anywhere else?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Larry

Wes Newell

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:46:59 -0800, Larry Gagnon wrote:

> I have an Abit NF7-S with an XP2500 cooled by a Vantex Aeroflow. The
> fan works very well, however, under Win XP Suspend Mode the fan
> continues on at its normal RPM of about 5200RPM, when really, it could
> drop? Is there any way of forcing that action. I do not see such a
> possibility in the Phoenix Award v.600 BIOS nor anywhere else?
>
> Any ideas?

You could just buy a fan control. Or rewire the leads and add a resistor
or wire it to 7 volt, etc. Fan control is easiest.:-)

Ed

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an Abit NF7-S with an XP2500 cooled by a Vantex Aeroflow. The
>fan works very well, however, under Win XP Suspend Mode the fan
>continues on at its normal RPM of about 5200RPM, when really, it could
>drop? Is there any way of forcing that action. I do not see such a
>possibility in the Phoenix Award v.600 BIOS nor anywhere else?
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Larry

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/index.html

Cheers,
Ed

Ed

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an Abit NF7-S with an XP2500 cooled by a Vantex Aeroflow. The
>fan works very well, however, under Win XP Suspend Mode the fan
>continues on at its normal RPM of about 5200RPM, when really, it could
>drop? Is there any way of forcing that action. I do not see such a
>possibility in the Phoenix Award v.600 BIOS nor anywhere else?
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Larry

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/index.html

Cheers,
Ed

DaveL

A 10k ohm, 1/2 watt in series with the red wire is what I usually do in this
situation. I always incase the resistor in heatshrink tubing too.

Dave

"() |\/| 3 G /-\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqlad7$ie$(E-Mail Removed)...
> asus got Q-fan. dymanically changes fan speed according to the temp (it

can
> control the fan header voltages - cpu, chassis, and presumably PSU if you
> connect a thermal probe). it's a bios feature.
>
> there are 4 other alternatives.
> 1)solder a resistor (unsure on ohmage) into 1 of the fan wires
> 2) cut the exsisting power connector, and fit a molex connector - able to
> get 12v, 7v or 5v depending on how it's wired
> 3) probably the easiest and most dynamic, a rheobus. a set of rheostats

that
> control any fans that are connected. this way you can turn up/down your

rpm
> as required.
> 4)wire up a thermistor of the correct value into the fan's wires. this is
> (if you dont know) a temperature controlled resistor that varies it's

ohmage
> according to temp. maybe thermal epoxy the thermistor to the bottom of the
> HS's fins, or somehow fix it inside the cpu socket
>
> tim
> "Larry Gagnon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have an Abit NF7-S with an XP2500 cooled by a Vantex Aeroflow. The
> > fan works very well, however, under Win XP Suspend Mode the fan
> > continues on at its normal RPM of about 5200RPM, when really, it could
> > drop? Is there any way of forcing that action. I do not see such a
> > possibility in the Phoenix Award v.600 BIOS nor anywhere else?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Larry

We Live For The One We Die For The One

Mines only at 4500 rpm hows you case cooling fans and ammount ?