Anybody Else Thinking About Just Skipping Leopard?

Nelson

Tiger works just fine for me and I have been procrastinating upgrading
not wanting to deal with all the version incompatibilities with
software I already have. And the new permission structure sounds like
an added headache, especially if you don't do a clean install. Plus I
really can't find any compelling new features. It just looks like
bloat. I felt the same way about Spotlight and Widgets prior to
upgrading to Leopard and my opinion has not changed. Maybe I'll just
wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of two upgrades.

--
Nelson

Stephen Adams

Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Tiger works just fine for me and I have been procrastinating upgrading
>not wanting to deal with all the version incompatibilities with
>software I already have. And the new permission structure sounds like
>an added headache, especially if you don't do a clean install. Plus I
>really can't find any compelling new features. It just looks like
>bloat. I felt the same way about Spotlight and Widgets prior to
>upgrading to Leopard and my opinion has not changed. Maybe I'll just
>wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of two upgrades.

Frankly, at this point, unless there is some compelling applicaiton
or feature, I'd wait as well. I upgraded ages ago, but having waited
this long, it's most likely in your best interests to wait for the
next release.

-Stephen
--
Stephen Adams
(E-Mail Removed) (rot13)

Tim McNamara

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tiger works just fine for me and I have been procrastinating
> upgrading not wanting to deal with all the version incompatibilities
> with software I already have. And the new permission structure
> sounds like an added headache, especially if you don't do a clean
> install. Plus I really can't find any compelling new features. It
> just looks like bloat. I felt the same way about Spotlight and
> Widgets prior to upgrading to Leopard and my opinion has not changed.
> Maybe I'll just wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of
> two upgrades.

Spotlight is handy and was the single most useful thing that I found in
"upgrading" to 10.4. I've not upgraded to 10.5 as there is nothing
compelling there for me. I'll look at 10.6 but since I own an iBook G4
it is possible I won't be able to upgrade to it. That's OK, 10.4 works
very well for me.

Doug Anderson

Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Tiger works just fine for me and I have been procrastinating upgrading
> not wanting to deal with all the version incompatibilities with
> software I already have. And the new permission structure sounds like
> an added headache, especially if you don't do a clean install. Plus I
> really can't find any compelling new features. It just looks like
> bloat. I felt the same way about Spotlight and Widgets prior to
> upgrading to Leopard and my opinion has not changed. Maybe I'll just
> wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of two upgrades.

If you are happy with things, it is hard to argue with leaving them
alone.

I did ugrades, not clean install, and found that experience completely
painless. And I had not version incompatibilities with the third
party software I use (but it is all open-source except for MS OFfice).

I agree with you about widgets, but Spotlight has occasionally been
useful to me. As far as Leopard's new features, there are three
features at the user level that I find very good.

- Time Machine is a good way to handle backups, especially if you
don't already have a way that you like. It made my life easier when
my hard drive on my MacBook died with no warning.

- Spaces. I've been waiting for this since I first started using Os
X (having come to it from X11 where a similar feature is
commonplace).

- Screen Sharing.

These are the things that make Leopard worthwhile for me. (I'm also
very curious about iPhoto 9's face recognition, but I haven't made
that purchase.)

What I've heard about the next thing (Snow Leopard) is that it is
mostly streamlining for intel based machines. If that turns out to be
true, and you are still happy with Tiger, you may want to wait for the
iteration _after_ Snow Leopard!

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Maybe I'll just wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of
> two upgrades.

Considering that Snow Leopard is supposedly due out within the next four
or five months or so, that's a good idea.

I wonder whether Apple will (for the first time) have two versions (at
two price points) of Snow Leopard, one as an upgrade for Leopard (lower
price point) and one as a full install for those who have earlier
versions of Mac OS X installed.

--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

Marc Heusser

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tiger works just fine for me and I have been procrastinating upgrading
> not wanting to deal with all the version incompatibilities with
> software I already have. And the new permission structure sounds like
> an added headache, especially if you don't do a clean install. Plus I
> really can't find any compelling new features. It just looks like
> bloat. I felt the same way about Spotlight and Widgets prior to
> upgrading to Leopard and my opinion has not changed. Maybe I'll just
> wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of two upgrades.

If you need/want iLife'09 and iWork'09 you get Leopard almost for free
with the Mac Box set.
Leopard works better than Tiger (without bloat!).
I even have a family pack of Leopard I could sell.

YMMV

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
<http://www.heusser.com>

Wes Groleau

Marc Heusser wrote:
> I even have a family pack of Leopard I could sell.

Please name a price, here or by e-mail.
Thanks

--
Wes Groleau

"Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
feel smug about. Why should I disillusion them?"
-- Charles Wallace
(in _A_Wrinkle_In_Time_)

Kevin K

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:57:09 UTC, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike
Rosenberg) wrote:

> Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'll just
> > wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of two upgrades.

> I'm surprised no one has brought this up before, but you didn't specify
> which Mac you have, and unless it has an Intel processor, don't assume
> you can run Snow Leopard on it.

I bought a G4 Mini before we knew there were going to be Intel based
systems, as a way to find out if a Mac was worth having. Liked it
enough as a secondary system that, when I decided to upgrade from my
primary Windows system, I just went to the Mac Pro.

Unfortunately I won't just be able to upgrade both systems to the Snow
Leopard when it comes out, so I will either have to buy an upgrade to
Leopard for the old one, or just leave it at Tiger. I'll probably
upgrade my Pro.

What burns with me is that, with the form factor of the Mini, that
Netflix's support for the Mac uses Silverlight, which isn't supported
on the PPC. I would have liked to be able to watch instant watch on
my television.

Nelson

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:57:09 UTC, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike
> Rosenberg) wrote:
>
>> Nelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I'll just
>>> wait for "Snow Leopard" and save myself the hassle of two upgrades.

>> I'm surprised no one has brought this up before, but you didn't specify
>> which Mac you have, and unless it has an Intel processor, don't assume
>> you can run Snow Leopard on it.

Interesting point. Has Apple said it won't support the G4 or just not
said that it would?

--
Nelson

AES

In article <310120090839416900%(E-Mail Removed) id>,
sbt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Everyone has different priorities and finds different features
> compelling, so without a better knowledge of for what you use your Mac
> and how you accomplish your tasks, I can't really answer the question
> for you; however, I can give a little personal perspective on my own
> situation and that of friends and family members.
>
> 1: Time Machine-I use it, but I already had a backup system in place
>
> 2: QuickLook-When I first saw/heard of QuickLook, I considered it
>
> 3: Spaces-I expected Spaces to be a major part of my workflow, but
>
> 4: Xcode-Xcode 3.1.1 in Leopard is much improved over Tiger's Xcode
>
> 5: iChat-If you use iChat, the Leopard version is more solid and more
>
> 6: Mail-If you manage your email with Apple's Mail program, the Leopard
>
> The list goes on, but that should give you some anecdotal info with
> which to work.

Thank you for these comments. I think you've convinced this reader (not
the OP) that I'll be one of those who will just never bother with
Leopard.

(And if it really kills Eudora, I may never bother with Snow Leopard
either.)