Anyone still here? :)

chicagofan

Just want to plead with anyone who might see any great sales on Gateway
computers anywhere ... in the next few weeks... please post the location
here.

I've been checking the usual places and haven't seen any real reductions
yet. Most web sites I've checked from the Gateway list of dealers are
out of stock too often as well.

Barbara

BillW50

On 12/29/2011 8:10 PM, chicagofan wrote:
> Just want to plead with anyone who might see any great sales on Gateway
> computers anywhere ... in the next few weeks... please post the location
> here.
>
> I've been checking the usual places and haven't seen any real reductions
> yet. Most web sites I've checked from the Gateway list of dealers are
> out of stock too often as well.
>
> Barbara

Yes I am still here. No I haven't heard anything on any great sales on
Gateway computers. And I am a bit depressed, as I heard a rumor that
Gateway no longer sells business class computers. :-(

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v9.0

chicagofan

BillW50 wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 8:10 PM, chicagofan wrote:
>
>> Just want to plead with anyone who might see any great sales on Gateway
>> computers anywhere ... in the next few weeks... please post the location
>> here.
>>
>> I've been checking the usual places and haven't seen any real reductions
>> yet. Most web sites I've checked from the Gateway list of dealers are
>> out of stock too often as well.
>>
>> Barbara
>>

> Yes I am still here. No I haven't heard anything on any great sales on
> Gateway computers. And I am a bit depressed, as I heard a rumor that
> Gateway no longer sells business class computers. :-(

Hi Bill! Glad to see a familiar name still here!

I hadn't heard about the business class, but it seems to me their
dealers' inventory on all models is slim, and it made me wonder if they
are going to stop selling them completely. They never advertise them,
nor do the dealers that sell them. You have to ask to see ALL
manufacturers to get to see them on web sites. They are treated like
"step-children" or second rate goods, when they are superior to the
majority of pcs on the market... IMO.

I've been looking at the NV series Intel i5 or AMD quad 4 comparable
.... and the one's I've found have been white. I don't want "white".
If it was cheap enough I might buy one though.

Happy Holidays... and thanks for the response!
bj

Ken Whiton

*-* On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, at 20:37:50 -0500,
*-* In Article <jdlp1f$at4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Re: Anyone still here?

> BillW50 wrote:
>> On 12/29/2011 8:10 PM, chicagofan wrote:

>>> Just want to plead with anyone who might see any great sales on
>>> Gateway computers anywhere ... in the next few weeks... please
>>> post the location here.

>>> I've been checking the usual places and haven't seen any real
>>> reductions yet. Most web sites I've checked from the Gateway list
>>> of dealers are out of stock too often as well.

>> Yes I am still here. No I haven't heard anything on any great sales
>> on Gateway computers. And I am a bit depressed, as I heard a rumor
>> that Gateway no longer sells business class computers. :-(

> Hi Bill! Glad to see a familiar name still here!

> I hadn't heard about the business class, but it seems to me their
> dealers' inventory on all models is slim, and it made me wonder if
> they are going to stop selling them completely. They never
> advertise them, nor do the dealers that sell them. You have to ask
> to see ALL manufacturers to get to see them on web sites. They are
> treated like "step-children" or second rate goods, when they are
> superior to the majority of pcs on the market... IMO.

> I've been looking at the NV series Intel i5 or AMD quad 4
> comparable ... and the one's I've found have been white. I don't
> want "white". If it was cheap enough I might buy one though.

Staples carries a couple of Gateway models:

<http://www.staples.com/Gateway-SX2803-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_331637>
# Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E6700 (3.2GHz)
# 4GB installed memory
Memory Expandable to 8GB
# 1TB hard drive

<http://www.staples.com/Gateway-DX4860-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_332880>
# Intel® Core™ i5-2300 processor (2.8GHz)
# 6GB installed memory
Memory Expandable to 16GB
# 1TB hard drive

Occasionally one or the other will be listed in their Weekly Ad

<http://weeklyad.staples.com/>

although neither one is in there this week.

> Happy Holidays... and thanks for the response!

Happy Holidays to you, too.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: (E-Mail Removed) (remove the obvious to reply)

chicagofan

Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* chicagofan wrote
>> I've been looking at the NV series Intel i5 or AMD quad 4
>> comparable ... and the one's I've found have been white. I don't
>> want "white". If it was cheap enough I might buy one though.
>>

> Staples carries a couple of Gateway models:
>
> <http://www.staples.com/Gateway-SX2803-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_331637>
> # Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E6700 (3.2GHz)
> # 4GB installed memory
> Memory Expandable to 8GB
> # 1TB hard drive
>
> <http://www.staples.com/Gateway-DX4860-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_332880>
> # Intel® Core™ i5-2300 processor (2.8GHz)
> # 6GB installed memory
> Memory Expandable to 16GB
> # 1TB hard drive
>
> Occasionally one or the other will be listed in their Weekly Ad
>
> <http://weeklyad.staples.com/>
>
> although neither one is in there this week.

Great machines!

>> Happy Holidays... and thanks for the response!
>>

> Happy Holidays to you, too.
>
> Ken Whiton

I'm so sorry... I've just noticed that I didn't specify LAPTOPS! My 3rd
good old Gateway desktop is still running fine. I do appreciate the
information though. I looked at Staples this a.m. and checked out the
Acers they had, but they had no Gateway laptops. I haven't given up yet
on finding one somewhere.

I'm sold on the Gateway nameplate [even though I know ownership &
everything has changed], because I never had to repair one of my Gateway
desktops over the years, except when lightning fried one. I'm
hoping they are still manufactured in the same place.

Thanks so much for the links Ken, and Happy Holidays... again!
bj

Ken Whiton

*-* On Sat, 31 Dec 2011, at 12:48:52 -0500,
*-* In Article <jdnhu6$fef$(E-Mail Removed)>,
*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Re: Anyone still here?

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* chicagofan wrote

>>> I've been looking at the NV series Intel i5 or AMD quad 4
>>> comparable ... and the one's I've found have been white. I don't
>>> want "white". If it was cheap enough I might buy one though.
>>>

>> Staples carries a couple of Gateway models:

>> <http://www.staples.com/Gateway-SX2803-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_331637>
>> # Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E6700 (3.2GHz)
>> # 4GB installed memory
>> Memory Expandable to 8GB
>> # 1TB hard drive

>> <http://www.staples.com/Gateway-DX4860-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_332880>
>> # Intel® Core™ i5-2300 processor (2.8GHz)
>> # 6GB installed memory
>> Memory Expandable to 16GB
>> # 1TB hard drive

>> Occasionally one or the other will be listed in their Weekly
>> Ad

>> <http://weeklyad.staples.com/>

>> although neither one is in there this week.

> Great machines!

>>> Happy Holidays... and thanks for the response!

>> Happy Holidays to you, too.

> I'm so sorry... I've just noticed that I didn't specify LAPTOPS! My
> 3rd good old Gateway desktop is still running fine. I do appreciate
> the information though. I looked at Staples this a.m. and checked
> out the Acers they had, but they had no Gateway laptops. I haven't
> given up yet on finding one somewhere.

Amazon has several models, ... in various shades of black. :-D

<http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV55S15u-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Ebony/dp/B005JCYZAU>

there are links to three other models at the top of that page.

> I'm sold on the Gateway nameplate [even though I know ownership &
> everything has changed], because I never had to repair one of my
> Gateway desktops over the years, except when lightning fried one.
> I'm hoping they are still manufactured in the same place.

> Thanks so much for the links Ken, and Happy Holidays... again!

You're welcome, ... and ditto. ;-)

Ken Whiton
--

On 12/31/2011 11:48 AM, chicagofan wrote:
> I'm sold on the Gateway nameplate [even though I know ownership &
> everything has changed], because I never had to repair one of my Gateway
> desktops over the years, except when lightning fried one. I'm hoping
> they are still manufactured in the same place.

Yes I know what you mean. As I have three Asus, two Toshiba, five
Alienware, and nine Gateway laptops. And guess which ones I like to use
the most? Hint: I own more of them than any other brand. ;-)

--

BillW50 wrote:
> On 12/31/2011 11:48 AM, chicagofan wrote:
>
>> I'm sold on the Gateway nameplate [even though I know ownership&
>> everything has changed], because I never had to repair one of my Gateway
>> desktops over the years, except when lightning fried one. I'm hoping
>> they are still manufactured in the same place.
>>

> Yes I know what you mean. As I have three Asus, two Toshiba, five
> Alienware, and nine Gateway laptops. And guess which ones I like to use
> the most? Hint: I own more of them than any other brand. ;-)

LOL... just what I expected, Bill! My first and only laptop is a
Gateway AMD l.58 GHZ, 2006 vintage and still working just fine. I'd
like a faster processor, and since my daughter is in need of a laptop, I
thought I'd look at the new ones and trade up.

Thanks Ken for the Amazon link... I've been keeping my eye on what they
have available. Sure appreciate you guys' responses.
bj

BillW50

In news:je2ish$59g$(E-Mail Removed),
chicagofan wrote:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> On 12/31/2011 11:48 AM, chicagofan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sold on the Gateway nameplate [even though I know ownership&
>>> everything has changed], because I never had to repair one of my
>>> Gateway desktops over the years, except when lightning fried one.
>>> I'm hoping they are still manufactured in the same place.
>>>

>> Yes I know what you mean. As I have three Asus, two Toshiba, five
>> Alienware, and nine Gateway laptops. And guess which ones I like to
>> use the most? Hint: I own more of them than any other brand. ;-)
>>

> LOL... just what I expected, Bill! My first and only laptop is a
> Gateway AMD l.58 GHZ, 2006 vintage and still working just fine. I'd
> like a faster processor, and since my daughter is in need of a
> laptop, I thought I'd look at the new ones and trade up.
>
> Thanks Ken for the Amazon link... I've been keeping my eye on what
> they have available. Sure appreciate you guys' responses.
> bj

I was just looking at Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2012 and in the 15
to 16 inch laptop category, the Gateway NV59C70u was CR's best buy and
reasonably priced at $580. It was also ranked as one of the lightest at
5.2 lbs. So what size were you looking for?

And I really like the 2006-2007 laptop era. Things really changed a lot
back then and I feel a lot of them from this era are going to be around
for a long time yet. ;-)

--
Bill

Frank

On Dec 31 2011, 12:48*pm, chicagofan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ken Whiton wrote:
> > *-* chicagofan wrote
> >> I've been looking at the NV series Intel *i5 or AMD quad 4
> >> comparable ... and the one's I've found have been white. *I don't
> >> want "white". * * If it was cheap enough I might buy one though.
> >> * *

> > * * * Staples carries a couple of Gateway models:

> > <http://www.staples.com/Gateway-SX2803-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_331637>
> > * * * # Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E6700 (3.2GHz)
> > * * * # 4GB installed memory
> > * * * * *Memory Expandable to * * *8GB
> > * * * # 1TB hard drive

> > <http://www.staples.com/Gateway-DX4860-US20P-Desktop-PC/product_332880>
> > * * * # Intel® Core™ i5-2300 processor (2.8GHz)
> > * * * # 6GB installed memory
> > * * * * *Memory Expandable to * * *16GB
> > * * * # 1TB hard drive

> > * * * Occasionally one or the other will be listed in their Weekly Ad

> > <http://weeklyad.staples.com/>

> > although neither one is in there this week.

> Great machines!
>

> >> Happy Holidays... and thanks for the response! *

> > * * * Happy Holidays to you, too.

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * *Ken Whiton

> I'm so sorry... I've just noticed that I didn't specify LAPTOPS! *My 3rd
> good old Gateway desktop is still running fine. *I do appreciate the
> information though. *I looked at Staples this a.m. and checked out the
> Acers they had, but they had no Gateway laptops. *I haven't given up yet
> on finding one somewhere. *
>
> I'm sold on the Gateway nameplate [even though I know ownership &
> everything has changed], because I never had to repair one of my Gateway
> desktops over the years, except when lightning fried one. * *I'm
> hoping they are still manufactured in the same place.
>
> Thanks so much for the links Ken, and Happy Holidays... again!
> bj- Hide quoted text -

I tend to shop CompUSA and they have them:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...Mfr%3BMfr_3233

Shipping free above $150.

I tend to watch their fliers and last bought a Toshiba lap top at
their store. Laptop price was below any source on line.

I bought my current Gateway there over 4 years ago before they went
through bankrupcy but they still replaced my keyboard which was on
extended warranty.