Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Anyone tried Panther on a Beige (w/ XPostFacto) yet?

 
 
Mars Rover
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2004, 10:16 PM

Faster?

I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
fishfry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2004, 01:17 AM
In article <170120041416137352%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mars Rover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Faster?
>
> I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
> beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?


I can't get it to work on my beige. Is a PCI video card the magic trick?
I'm gonna try that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2004, 05:04 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
andrewunix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:17:42 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) suggested:
> : In article <170120041416137352%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> : Mars Rover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :> Faster?
> :>
> :> I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
> :> beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?
> :
> : I can't get it to work on my beige. Is a PCI video card the magic trick?
> : I'm gonna try that.
>
> According to the site, the author hasn't been able to get the built-in
> video to work yet.


I'm using XPostFacto to run Panther on my G3/300 desktop. Here's what
I've added to it:

PowerLogix PowerForce G3/900MHz upgrade (runs at 867MHz in my beige G3)
768MB RAM
Radeon PCI Mac Edition
Seagate 40GB HD

It runs Panther just fine for general web/word processing/spreadsheet
work.

--
Aaron Melgares
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bev A. Kupf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2004, 05:16 AM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:04:48 GMT,
Aaron ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> I'm using XPostFacto to run Panther on my G3/300 desktop. Here's what
> I've added to it:
>
> PowerLogix PowerForce G3/900MHz upgrade (runs at 867MHz in my beige G3)
> 768MB RAM
> Radeon PCI Mac Edition
> Seagate 40GB HD
>
> It runs Panther just fine for general web/word processing/spreadsheet
> work.
>


I'm curious. How much does an upgrade like that cost? $300 to $400?

--
Bev A. Kupf
"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne" -- Chaucer
Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-23-2004, 05:33 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Bev A. Kupf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:04:48 GMT,
> Aaron ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> > I'm using XPostFacto to run Panther on my G3/300 desktop. Here's what
> > I've added to it:
> >
> > PowerLogix PowerForce G3/900MHz upgrade (runs at 867MHz in my beige G3)
> > 768MB RAM
> > Radeon PCI Mac Edition
> > Seagate 40GB HD
> >
> > It runs Panther just fine for general web/word processing/spreadsheet
> > work.
> >

>
> I'm curious. How much does an upgrade like that cost? $300 to $400?


The G3/900 is $235:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...Item=PLGPFZ900

The memory was $25 per 256MB when I bought it, but it's running about
$85 now.

A Radeon 7000 PCI is $120

I also bought a CD-RW from a friend for $20 that came out of her G4/400.

--
Aaron Melgares
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andreas Kromke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
fishfry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <170120041416137352%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mars Rover <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Faster?
> >
> > I don't think I understand the instructions - does it not work on a
> > beige G3 *at all* unless you have a PCI video card?

>
> I can't get it to work on my beige. Is a PCI video card the magic trick?
> I'm gonna try that.


It might be necessary to have a Radeon Card. I have a Rage-128 and was
not able to install 10.3.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems installing Panther on a G3 beige non-minitower 300 Licensed to Quill Apple 6 10-09-2004 01:16 PM
[beige g3] cloning panther sys from pbook Bill Mazlar Apple 1 07-08-2004 06:25 AM
Beige G3 + Panther Peter KERR Apple 1 02-20-2004 01:31 PM
beige G3 + Panther possible ? Jiva Apple 8 11-18-2003 10:41 PM
Panther on beige Jessica Campbell Apple 1 10-25-2003 09:30 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment