Anything As Good As Matrox For Linux Use?

wg

Question from a Linux user:

After buying my first flat panel LCD monitor, I discovered that my
venerable G550 won't drive current X servers in DVI mode. This problem
has been talked to death on the Matrox support forum, with no
effective resolution. Matrox does offer an old beta driver, but it
doesn't work for me. The screen starts out black and stays black.

It also seems that none of the newer Matrox cards work well with X.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for a card that provides image quality
on a par with Matrox, has a DVI outlet, and is known to work with X,
preferablty the current Xorg release).

Any suggestions?

(XiG offers a commercial server for the 550. Overall, it seems
excellent, but two annoying glitches keep me from using it
permanently.)

jwk

From: wg <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: 4 Jul 2004 12:16:17 -0700
> Question from a Linux user:
>
> After buying my first flat panel LCD monitor, I discovered that my
> venerable G550 won't drive current X servers in DVI mode. This problem
> has been talked to death on the Matrox support forum, with no
> effective resolution. Matrox does offer an old beta driver, but it
> doesn't work for me. The screen starts out black and stays black.
>
> It also seems that none of the newer Matrox cards work well with X.
>
> So, I'm looking for suggestions for a card that provides image quality
> on a par with Matrox, has a DVI outlet, and is known to work with X,
> preferablty the current Xorg release).
>
> Any suggestions?

Since with DVI output the 2d quality shouldn't matter as much (the
signal is not converted on the card), you'd perhaps best buy one of the
two main-stream cards: nvidia or ati. Both have working closed-source
drivers, and both have working open-source drivers.

Personally, I'm happy with my 9600SE (Suckers Edition, meaning slow 3D,
but fanless, which is what I'm after). If you want to play HDTV at 1080i
resolutions, skip earlier Ati cards.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
(I tried to get some documentation out of Digital on this, but as far as
I can tell even _they_ don't have it ;-)