AOpen AK79D-400 Max + Mobile Athlon xp 2800+

Dimitri Salikov

A friend of mine was running an Athlon xp 2200+ on a AOpen AK79D-400
Max. He's transfering vhs tapes to dvd, and would have liked a bit more
juice, and get rid of his pesky loud cpu cooler at the same time.

So i suggested to get a mobile athlon barton core and overclock it to
3200+ with some lighter cpu cooler.

He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the
board it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything else.

The manual of the board states the board is capable of 5-22, selectable
in the bios.

This is a mobile, i thought they came fully unlocked, and it's an nforce
2 board, so shouldn't the multipliers be unlocked? My asus a7n8x deluxe
unlocked my 2500+ barton without problems.

He has the latest bios, and the system posts and boots, but we can't get
anything out of it, on a different multiplier.

Are we overlooking something?

Can something be done to force the motherboard to run the cpu at another
multiplier?

VanShania

Yes, if you would have built a cheap 939/am2 system with the same money you
spent on your barton system, you would have had more power available to you
and would't be posting or overclocking at all. Bad call man..
--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard
All-in-Wonder 9800Pro 128mb AGP
X-Fi Extreme Music,Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
2XSATA WD 320gb Raid Edition, PATA WD 120Gb HD
Pioneer 110D, 111D, Liteon 1693 Dual Layer burners
XP Media Centre Edition 2005
Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 Joystick
Logitech optical mouse
19 in Viewsonic A91f+
BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, SP:WAW

"Dimitri Salikov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44fee01a$0$25455$(E-Mail Removed)2.nl...
>A friend of mine was running an Athlon xp 2200+ on a AOpen AK79D-400 Max.
>He's transfering vhs tapes to dvd, and would have liked a bit more juice,
>and get rid of his pesky loud cpu cooler at the same time.
>
> So i suggested to get a mobile athlon barton core and overclock it to
> 3200+ with some lighter cpu cooler.
>
> He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the board
> it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything else.
>
> The manual of the board states the board is capable of 5-22, selectable in
> the bios.
>
> This is a mobile, i thought they came fully unlocked, and it's an nforce 2
> board, so shouldn't the multipliers be unlocked? My asus a7n8x deluxe
> unlocked my 2500+ barton without problems.
>
> He has the latest bios, and the system posts and boots, but we can't get
> anything out of it, on a different multiplier.
>
> Are we overlooking something?
>
> Can something be done to force the motherboard to run the cpu at another
> multiplier?

Wes Newell

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:50:32 +0200, Dimitri Salikov wrote:

> A friend of mine was running an Athlon xp 2200+ on a AOpen AK79D-400
> Max. He's transfering vhs tapes to dvd, and would have liked a bit more
> juice, and get rid of his pesky loud cpu cooler at the same time.
>
> So i suggested to get a mobile athlon barton core and overclock it to
> 3200+ with some lighter cpu cooler.

What core did his 2200+ have? if it was a B core, then he could have just
overclocked it. Need a good cheap quiet cooler? TR2-M3, about $8.

> He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the
> board it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything
> else.

He needs to change the max default on the XP-M. The answer is here (or all
over the web if you search).

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

> The manual of the board states the board is capable of 5-22, selectable
> in the bios.

Forget the manual. That's for an unlocked XP, not an XP-M.

> This is a mobile, i thought they came fully unlocked, and it's an nforce
> 2 board, so shouldn't the multipliers be unlocked? My asus a7n8x deluxe
> unlocked my 2500+ barton without problems.
>
> He has the latest bios, and the system posts and boots, but we can't get
> anything out of it, on a different multiplier.
>
> Are we overlooking something?
>
> Can something be done to force the motherboard to run the cpu at another
> multiplier?

Yes, you just have to figure out what you need to do. You could change it
to regular XP or an MP, or just setting the max multiplier to something
other than 6 might work. All barton core cpu's sre they same. The model
and speed is determined by the configuration of the bridges. The Nvidia
chipset does not support Mobile CPU's, or I should say they don't support
powernow of the mobile cpu's. In any case, all the bridges are defined on
Fab51. have fun.

VanShania

Eh, don't worry, I made the same mistake back in 2003 when I bought my XP
2600 and asus board instead of 939

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard
All-in-Wonder 9800Pro 128mb AGP
X-Fi Extreme Music,Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
2XSATA WD 320gb Raid Edition, PATA WD 120Gb HD
Pioneer 110D, 111D, Liteon 1693 Dual Layer burners
XP Media Centre Edition 2005
Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 Joystick
Logitech optical mouse
19 in Viewsonic A91f+
BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, SP:WAW

"Dimitri Salikov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44fee01a$0$25455$(E-Mail Removed)2.nl...
>A friend of mine was running an Athlon xp 2200+ on a AOpen AK79D-400 Max.
>He's transfering vhs tapes to dvd, and would have liked a bit more juice,
>and get rid of his pesky loud cpu cooler at the same time.
>
> So i suggested to get a mobile athlon barton core and overclock it to
> 3200+ with some lighter cpu cooler.
>
> He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the board
> it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything else.
>
> The manual of the board states the board is capable of 5-22, selectable in
> the bios.
>
> This is a mobile, i thought they came fully unlocked, and it's an nforce 2
> board, so shouldn't the multipliers be unlocked? My asus a7n8x deluxe
> unlocked my 2500+ barton without problems.
>
> He has the latest bios, and the system posts and boots, but we can't get
> anything out of it, on a different multiplier.
>
> Are we overlooking something?
>
> Can something be done to force the motherboard to run the cpu at another
> multiplier?

Dylan C

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:50:32 +0200, Dimitri Salikov wrote:
>>He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the
>>board it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything
>>else.
>>

> He needs to change the max default on the XP-M. The answer is here (or all
> over the web if you search).
>
> http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

Shouldn't it post at the "native" multiplier of the cpu, 16.5x100? I
know with my abit NF7 and an XP-M 2600+ this was the case. Perhaps its
a limitation of the motherboard and not the CPU, in which case a simple
BIOS update may resolve the issue. Of course, CPU parameters would
still have to be entered manually.

-Dylan C

Wes Newell

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 15:21:04 -0500, Dylan C wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:50:32 +0200, Dimitri Salikov wrote:
>>>He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the
>>>board it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything
>>>else.
>>>

>> He needs to change the max default on the XP-M. The answer is here (or all
>> over the web if you search).
>>
>> http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html
>>

> Shouldn't it post at the "native" multiplier of the cpu, 16.5x100? I
> know with my abit NF7 and an XP-M 2600+ this was the case. Perhaps its
> a limitation of the motherboard and not the CPU, in which case a simple
> BIOS update may resolve the issue. Of course, CPU parameters would
> still have to be entered manually.

Who's to say what some people do. I don't know what his bios settings are
or anything about the board. All I know is that if it's a socket A MB
it'll run any socket A cpu they make. Configuring is the problem.:-)

Paul

In article <44fee01a$0$25455$(E-Mail Removed)2.nl>, Dimitri Salikov
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend of mine was running an Athlon xp 2200+ on a AOpen AK79D-400
> Max. He's transfering vhs tapes to dvd, and would have liked a bit more
> juice, and get rid of his pesky loud cpu cooler at the same time.
>
> So i suggested to get a mobile athlon barton core and overclock it to
> 3200+ with some lighter cpu cooler.
>
> He went on ebay and got a 2800+ 16.5x133. When he puts it into the
> board it will post but at 6x100, and he can't change the 6 to anything else.
>
> The manual of the board states the board is capable of 5-22, selectable
> in the bios.
>
> This is a mobile, i thought they came fully unlocked, and it's an nforce
> 2 board, so shouldn't the multipliers be unlocked? My asus a7n8x deluxe
> unlocked my 2500+ barton without problems.
>
> He has the latest bios, and the system posts and boots, but we can't get
> anything out of it, on a different multiplier.
>
> Are we overlooking something?
>
> Can something be done to force the motherboard to run the cpu at another
> multiplier?

http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/searc...rch&forumID=17

http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewm...essageID=64866

|"this mainboard detect that this CPU is Mobile Athlon XP , but set wrong
multiplier and wrong CPU voltage but if I try change multiplier to 14 -
that should work for 1,84Ghz or set good voltage settings to 1,650 -
that is correct setting for this CPU - when i save and exit setting -
bios always reset and set default setting

i CAN'T change anything in bios settings for CPU- always bios reset
I try this with bios 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 1,10 and latest 1.11 - always wrong,
sometimes bios set CPU voltage 1,25V or some 1,65V , but now is set to 1,20V
and CPU Multiplier to 6.0"

In this thread, the board appears to revert to 6x multiplier, after AC
power is removed to the PC. So they did manage to get a XP-M 2500+ to
work, but not permanently.

http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewm...essageID=62233

And the funny thing is, it looks like there is an Attansic ATXP1 48 pin
overclock controller next to the CPU socket. That is supposed to allow
changing multiplier control bits.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1439&page=2 (review)
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages...9d400_sock.jpg (picture)

So the problem would appear to be a BIOS that needs work.

http://www.attansic.com/english/products/index.html
http://www.attansic.com/english/prod.../ATXP1_1.1.pdf

Maybe the solution would be to use wire tricks/socket mods. You can
either install wires as per the socket view, or turn the motherboard
over and solder wires as per the CPU view. Set the multiplier menu
to the desired value on the Ocinside.de web page. The multiplier value
you use may depend on the FSB clock speed you selected. If the mobile
is a Barton core, then FSB400 should be possible, and something like
200x11 should work. To run 200MHz and a multiplier of 11, you'd need
some DDR400 RAM.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

When using the wire trick, use the "Auto" multiplier setting in the
BIOS. Using the "Auto" setting, is so the overclock controller chip
does not fight with the wire tricks.

I think I'd just find another motherboard that is more suited for
use with a Mobile AthlonXP.

Paul