AOPEN MK33 Award Bios Upgrade

Kathy

Hello

A friend of mine just upgraded her system with a second-hand
motherboard that she purchased. It is an AOpen MK33, with and Award
Modular 6.0PG bios.

The problem - the bios isn't XP compatible, it's throwing acpi errors
and locking up the system. The "Official" source for award bios is
telling me it's going to cost $60 to get an update for the bios...

Does anyone know of somewhere that I can get the most recent version
without having to pay for it???

Thanks,
Kathy

Wes Newell

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:06:43 -0800, Kathy wrote:

> The problem - the bios isn't XP compatible, it's throwing acpi errors
> and locking up the system. The "Official" source for award bios is
> telling me it's going to cost $60 to get an update for the bios...

The "official" source for any MB bios is the manufacturer.

> Does anyone know of somewhere that I can get the most recent version
> without having to pay for it???

Hmmm... Couldn't be here could it. Are you both blonde?:-)

http://download.aopen.com.tw/

Kathy

Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pan.2005.02.18.00.23.38.235552@TAKEOUTverizo n.net>...
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:06:43 -0800, Kathy wrote:
>
> > The problem - the bios isn't XP compatible, it's throwing acpi errors
> > and locking up the system. The "Official" source for award bios is
> > telling me it's going to cost $60 to get an update for the bios...
> >

> The "official" source for any MB bios is the manufacturer.

Yes, I know... but the Manufacturer does not have the award bios
update on their site.

> > Does anyone know of somewhere that I can get the most recent version
> > without having to pay for it???
> >

> Hmmm... Couldn't be here could it. Are you both blonde?:-)

Nope.... the only bios update they have for this board is for a
completely different bios.

> http://download.aopen.com.tw/

Wes Newell

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:07:56 -0800, Kathy wrote:

> Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<pan.2005.02.18.00.23.38.235552@TAKEOUTverizo n.net>...
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:06:43 -0800, Kathy wrote:
>>
>> > The problem - the bios isn't XP compatible, it's throwing acpi errors
>> > and locking up the system. The "Official" source for award bios is
>> > telling me it's going to cost $60 to get an update for the bios...
>> >

>> The "official" source for any MB bios is the manufacturer.

> Yes, I know... but the Manufacturer does not have the award bios update on
> their site.
>
>> > Does anyone know of somewhere that I can get the most recent version
>> > without having to pay for it???
>> >

>> Hmmm... Couldn't be here could it. Are you both blonde?:-)
>>
>> http://download.aopen.com.tw/

> Nope.... the only bios update they have for this board is for a completely
> different bios.

What are you talking about? The above statement makes absolutely no sense.
Here the the different bios versions available at the above link for the
MK33 MB. Take your pick but I'd suggest the first one whiich is the latest
and probably the last one that will be built for your board. They are not
in release order and the latest is R1.17. The first released appears to be
R1.02. OK, I just downloaded it from San Jose site.
Archive: /home/wes/mk33r117.zip
Length Method Size Ratio Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ----- ---- ---- ------ ----
262144 Defl:N 139576 47% 07-10-03 17:47 f2f189f9 mk33r117.bin
30269 Defl:N 16126 47% 07-10-03 17:47 39b57666 Mk33r117.exe
-------- ------- --- -------
292413 155702 47% 2 files

So what's the problem? Do you not know how to flash a bios? Should be
instructions on the Aopen website somewhere or in the manual. Normally
create a dos boot diskette and put the 2 files on it. In this case I'd say
just run Mk33r117.exe and see what it does. If it doesn't install the new
bios it should give you the info you need. If not try mk33r117 /? and see
what the options are.

MK33
BIOS N/A R1.17 7/23/2003
152 KB
# Fixed 6511-UV Keyboard need wait 25s after resuming from S3 under Windows 2000.
# Fixed 6511-UV Keyboard can't work after resuming from S4 under Windows 2000.
# Fixed ACPI error under Event Viewer in WinXP

OS SupportOS

R1.02 7/24/2002
149 KB
# Checksum 3FCAh
# Initial Release

OS SupportOS

R1.04 7/24/2002
149 KB
# Checksum B271h
# Improves compatibility with S3 Diamond AGP card.
# Changes DRAM Clock default setting to AUTO and strings to "PCI CLK x3/4".

OS SupportOS

R1.08 7/24/2002
149 KB
# Checksum 5F1Eh
# Opens all clock generator options.
# Disables onboard audio automatically if any audio card found.
# Loads setup default by pressing "HOME" key when booting up.
# Changes "Frequency/voltage control" to "CPU/PCI clock control".

OS SupportOS

R1.09 7/24/2002
149 KB
# Checksum 3DC2h
# Removes the selection of FSB 100 for AMD Socket A CPU

OS SupportOS

R1.11 7/24/2002
148 KB
# Checksum 761Eh
# Suports Power Auto Recovery; set to Off by Default.
# Fixes noise from Creative Sound Blaster audio card.
# Supports Dr. LED (needs certain PCB lots).
# Adds 256MB option in Advanced Chipset for AGP aperture.
# Fixes detection error of L2 cache of Duron CPU

OS SupportOS

R1.12 7/24/2002
148 KB
# Checksum B14Ah
# Solves hang-up at rebooting.
# Solves Adaptec boot failure from AHA-29160 SCSI card if SCSI HDD ID < SCSI CDROM ID.
# Loads "Setup Default" instead of "Turbo Default" when clearing CMOS

OS SupportOS

R1.14 7/24/2002
152 KB
# Checksum EFD0h
# Adds option to support floppy 'Drive B'

OS SupportOS

R1.03 7/23/2002
197 KB
# Checksum 53EFh
# Fixed boot failure with Bootblock from floppy drive.

OS SupportOS