AOpen MX3S DOS audio drivers?

smike

Hello, does anyone know how to get the MX3S integrated SoundMAX audio to
work under MS-DOS?

TIA

smike

OK, after some googling I've found that the sound hardware on this board is
the Analog Devices AD1885

Do DOS drivers exist for this device?

Anssi Saari

"smike" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> OK, after some googling I've found that the sound hardware on this board is
> the Analog Devices AD1885
>
> Do DOS drivers exist for this device?

Well, you know, mostly it was the DOS applications themselves that
would support sound hardware or not, usually old Soundblasters and
compatibles.

Whatever it is you actually want to do, maybe you can run your
software in an emulator, like DosBox?

smike

"Anssi Saari" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > OK, after some googling I've found that the sound hardware on this board

is
> > the Analog Devices AD1885
> >
> > Do DOS drivers exist for this device?

> Well, you know, mostly it was the DOS applications themselves that
> would support sound hardware or not, usually old Soundblasters and
> compatibles.
>
> Whatever it is you actually want to do, maybe you can run your
> software in an emulator, like DosBox?

DosBox is nice, but it runs too slowly on this machine. I really need pure
DOS for best results

Anssi Saari

"smike" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> DosBox is nice, but it runs too slowly on this machine. I really need pure
> DOS for best results

Come to think of it, I had something like this once upon a time, i.e.
AC'97 in DOS. The driver was from VIA and actually emulated a
soundblaster. Which means it uses CPU power too and it wasn't very
good. I had VIA hardware back then, too.

I don't know if the VIA stuff is usable with other AC'97 chips like
your AD1885, but I guess it's worth a try. Google gives for example an
old thread at http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/7731.html
which might help.

Other than that, maybe you can pick up an old Pentium or 486 system
somewhere...

smike

"Anssi Saari" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "smike" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > DosBox is nice, but it runs too slowly on this machine. I really need

pure
> > DOS for best results

> Come to think of it, I had something like this once upon a time, i.e.
> AC'97 in DOS. The driver was from VIA and actually emulated a
> soundblaster. Which means it uses CPU power too and it wasn't very
> good. I had VIA hardware back then, too.
>
> I don't know if the VIA stuff is usable with other AC'97 chips like
> your AD1885, but I guess it's worth a try. Google gives for example an
> old thread at http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/7731.html
> which might help.

I found this driver for the VIA chipset:

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...57315#comments

Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Intel board. From the comments it
seems lots of other people have had the same problem

> Other than that, maybe you can pick up an old Pentium or 486 system
> somewhere...

Don't have the space to have old dinosaurs like that lying around. This
AOpen system is half-height micro-ATX, so it's extremely small and
convenient.

Current motherboard compatible with DOS games (yes DOS) danielc56@hotmail.com Soundcards 10 08-28-2007 11:42 AM
Apple II Dos - Apple II " The DOS Manual - Disk Operating System " aceemploymentservices@gmail.com Apple 0 06-12-2006 05:40 AM
DOS help: assigning drive letters to external HD under DOS Zax Laptops 1 12-02-2005 05:28 PM
MX3S - PCI Version James AOpen 0 12-10-2004 09:29 AM
MX3S BIOS Update - File CRC not correct Peter AOpen 3 12-06-2003 05:11 PM