other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
automatically and being a permanent setting.

For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
situation about.

--
dorayme

Salvatore

On 2012-08-05 02:42:23 +0000, dorayme said:

> I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
> The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
> spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
> file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
> move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
> other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
> automatically and being a permanent setting.
>
> For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
> had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
> situation about.

Click on an empty part of the desktop and type Command + J.

"Sort By" is the last item in the window that opens up.

--
Blah blah bleh...

GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

dorayme

In article <jvkmtb$1fr8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Salvatore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-08-05 02:42:23 +0000, dorayme said:
>
> > I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
> > The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
> > spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
> > file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
> > move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
> > other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
> > automatically and being a permanent setting.
> >
> > For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
> > had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
> > situation about.

> Click on an empty part of the desktop and type Command + J.
>
> "Sort By" is the last item in the window that opens up.

Thanks for this, I kept looking at that window but failed for an
inexplicable reason, over and over, to see the dropdown!

Now it works as before!

I repay my debts, have a joke:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/jokes/taxmanRabbi.html>

--
dorayme

Fred Moore

In article <jvkmtb$1fr8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Salvatore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-08-05 02:42:23 +0000, dorayme said:
>
> > I have for years "arranged by date modified" the icons on my desktop.
> > The way I had it, you couldn't move a desktop icon elsewhere (it would
> > spring back when the mouse was let go). But now I can. If I deleted a
> > file/icon, as I often do, it would go and all the other icons would
> > move up a space, now, for a reason I am not sure, there is a hole. In
> > other words, I keep having to View/Arrange By, instead of it doing it
> > automatically and being a permanent setting.
> >
> > For some reason, I cannot think where the setting is to make it how I
> > had it nor what quite I have done to have brought the present
> > situation about.

> Click on an empty part of the desktop and type Command + J.
>
> "Sort By" is the last item in the window that opens up.

Or right click on the Desktop and select Show View Options