Aspire 1800 LCD problems

GTD

I have an Acer Aspire 1800 series laptop. It had, for a few months, a
vertical band about 3/4 inches wide in about the middle of the left half
of the screen that was brighter that it should have been, and it faded
and returned from time to time. Now, The entire left half is screwed up,
being black with vertical lines, sometimes a rapidly changing array of
vertical lines. The right half works fine, and an attached monitor works
perfectly all around. Any idea what this is? Does it sound like it is
the LCD? Is there anything else it could be? I had the backlight
replaced about a year or so ago, , but it worked OK after that. Any help
will be appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

A Nother

"GTD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an Acer Aspire 1800 series laptop. It had, for a few months, a
> vertical band about 3/4 inches wide in about the middle of the left half
> of the screen that was brighter that it should have been, and it faded and
> returned from time to time. Now, The entire left half is screwed up, being
> black with vertical lines, sometimes a rapidly changing array of vertical
> lines. The right half works fine, and an attached monitor works perfectly
> all around. Any idea what this is? Does it sound like it is the LCD? Is
> there anything else it could be? I had the backlight replaced about a year
> or so ago, , but it worked OK after that. Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks, Greg.

More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
replacing the LCD won't help.

GTD

A Nother wrote:

> "GTD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have an Acer Aspire 1800 series laptop. It had, for a few months, a
>> vertical band about 3/4 inches wide in about the middle of the left
>> half of the screen that was brighter that it should have been, and it
>> faded and returned from time to time. Now, The entire left half is
>> screwed up, being black with vertical lines, sometimes a rapidly
>> changing array of vertical lines. The right half works fine, and an
>> attached monitor works perfectly all around. Any idea what this is?
>> Does it sound like it is the LCD? Is there anything else it could be?
>> I had the backlight replaced about a year or so ago, , but it worked
>> OK after that. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

> More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
> replacing the LCD won't help.

What do you mean by "solid state drive system"? What exactly to you
believe is the fix?

Wandering

This is definitely a warranty issue. Don't delay! There is nothing user can
do whatever the cause, whether the video board, the display hardware drivers
(electronics) or the display itself. Don't let your warranty expire before
fixing this issue. It's not cheap.

--

Blessings & peace --- Ray
"A Nother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "GTD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have an Acer Aspire 1800 series laptop. It had, for a few months, a
>> vertical band about 3/4 inches wide in about the middle of the left half
>> of the screen that was brighter that it should have been, and it faded
>> and returned from time to time. Now, The entire left half is screwed up,
>> being black with vertical lines, sometimes a rapidly changing array of
>> vertical lines. The right half works fine, and an attached monitor works
>> perfectly all around. Any idea what this is? Does it sound like it is the
>> LCD? Is there anything else it could be? I had the backlight replaced
>> about a year or so ago, , but it worked OK after that. Any help will be
>> appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

> More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
> replacing the LCD won't help.

A Nother

"GTD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A Nother wrote:

>> More likely the solid state drive system for the LCD, in which case
>> replacing the LCD won't help.
>>

> What do you mean by "solid state drive system"? What exactly to you
> believe is the fix?

You need to get this fixed under warranty OR find a technician who can fault
find on this system OR get another parts unit with a working screen you can
have exchanged.

GTD

Wandering wrote:
> This is definitely a warranty issue. Don't delay! There is nothing user
> can do whatever the cause, whether the video board, the display hardware
> drivers (electronics) or the display itself. Don't let your warranty
> expire before fixing this issue. It's not cheap.

It's already expired. that's why I'm trying to track it down myself. . .

Wandering

Unless you are:

1. a trained and experienced electronics technician
2. in a position to try out replacement components at no cost
3. able to access the parts at reasonable cost

you aren't going to be able to run it down and fix it yourself. Now you may
have all these attributes, and still find it cheaper to have the
manufacturer repair the unit.

Good luck.

--

Blessings & peace --- Ray
"GTD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wandering wrote:
>> This is definitely a warranty issue. Don't delay! There is nothing user
>> can do whatever the cause, whether the video board, the display hardware
>> drivers (electronics) or the display itself. Don't let your warranty
>> expire before fixing this issue. It's not cheap.
>>

> It's already expired. that's why I'm trying to track it down myself. . .

Molesworth

In article <fhndft$5ja$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Wandering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Unless you are:
>
> 1. a trained and experienced electronics technician
> 2. in a position to try out replacement components at no cost
> 3. able to access the parts at reasonable cost
>
> you aren't going to be able to run it down and fix it yourself. Now you may
> have all these attributes, and still find it cheaper to have the
> manufacturer repair the unit.
>
> Good luck.

Or put it in the cupboard with all the other dead laptops..?

:-)

Molesworth

 Bluto

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:26:51 -0600, Molesworth <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <fhndft$5ja$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Wandering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Unless you are:
>>
>> 1. a trained and experienced electronics technician
>> 2. in a position to try out replacement components at no cost
>> 3. able to access the parts at reasonable cost
>>
>> you aren't going to be able to run it down and fix it yourself. Now you may
>> have all these attributes, and still find it cheaper to have the
>> manufacturer repair the unit.
>>
>> Good luck.

>Or put it in the cupboard with all the other dead laptops..?

Yeah, mostly Acers

>:-)
>
>Molesworth

Acer Aspire 1800 series: BIOS reset Tim Acer 1 09-16-2006 02:39 AM
ACER Aspire 1800 larous Acer 0 09-13-2006 02:10 PM
Aspire 1800 notebook, need help with TS GTD Acer 0 06-11-2006 06:56 PM
how do I remove keyboard on Acer Aspire 1800? Laurence Payne Acer 0 10-31-2005 05:47 PM
Acer Aspire 1800 series service guide (manual) danador Acer 0 09-14-2005 02:33 PM