Aspire 3100 CD

Molesworth

Hi all,

My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

I have uninstalled software drivers and XP has reloaded them on reboot.

It tells me that it is now recognised, but when I put a DVD in, nothing
happens, and WMP tells me there is no disc present.

I can't see a way to open it up.

Any advice out there?

Molesworth

Bob Fay

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

Did it ever work?

> I have uninstalled software drivers and XP has reloaded them on reboot.
>
> It tells me that it is now recognised, but when I put a DVD in, nothing
> happens, and WMP tells me there is no disc present.

Have you tried just a CD?

> I can't see a way to open it up.
>
> Any advice out there?

Seems like the drive, but I need to know more.
Are there any circumstances that occurred when the drive quit working?

> Molesworth

Bob

Bob Fay

"Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PUWji.5703$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

My 3100 is using this Driver.
Microsoft
7/1/2001
Ver 5.1.2535.0

The drive is a Philips DVD RAM SDVD8821

Don't know if this helps any.

Molesworth

In article <PUWji.5703$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
"Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

> Did it ever work?
>

> > I have uninstalled software drivers and XP has reloaded them on reboot.
> >
> > It tells me that it is now recognised, but when I put a DVD in, nothing
> > happens, and WMP tells me there is no disc present.

> Have you tried just a CD?
>

> > I can't see a way to open it up.
> >
> > Any advice out there?

> Seems like the drive, but I need to know more.
> Are there any circumstances that occurred when the drive quit working?
> >
> > Molesworth

> Bob

It recognises and plays CD's!

In WMP it displays Japanese (?) text on a CD of English Classical Harp
music!

But not recognising Harry Potter (bought) DVD. "No disc in Drive 'E'"

?

Molesworth

doS

Potter is copyprocted, try a diff dvd,

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <PUWji.5703$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
> "Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > My new Aspire (well, fairly new) doesn't 'see' the DVD/CD Player.

>> Did it ever work?
>>

>> > I have uninstalled software drivers and XP has reloaded them on reboot.
>> >
>> > It tells me that it is now recognised, but when I put a DVD in, nothing
>> > happens, and WMP tells me there is no disc present.

>> Have you tried just a CD?
>>

>> > I can't see a way to open it up.
>> >
>> > Any advice out there?

>> Seems like the drive, but I need to know more.
>> Are there any circumstances that occurred when the drive quit working?
>> >
>> > Molesworth

>> Bob

> It recognises and plays CD's!
>
> In WMP it displays Japanese (?) text on a CD of English Classical Harp
> music!
>
> But not recognising Harry Potter (bought) DVD. "No disc in Drive 'E'"
>
> ?
>
> Molesworth

Bob Fay

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".

The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country is
your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?

Bob

Bob Fay

"Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n5Yji.5381$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
>
> The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country
> is your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?
>
> Bob

Just in case.
Windows XP

Click on "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel",
"System", Open the "Hardware" tab. Open "Device
Manager". Click on "DVD/CD ROM Drives.
Select the drive and right click for "properties".
Select each tab to get all the needed information.

Molesworth

In article <n5Yji.5381$(E-Mail Removed) t>,
"Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
>
> The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country is
> your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?
>
> Bob

Both region 1 (I think) (I'm in New Orleans)

Good thought that. How do I check the setting?

Molesworth

Molesworth

In article <TkYji.5384$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
"Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:n5Yji.5381$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> >
> > "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
> >
> > The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What country
> > is your drive set for and what country is the DVD set for?
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Just in case.
> Windows XP
>
> Click on "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel",
> "System", Open the "Hardware" tab. Open "Device
> Manager". Click on "DVD/CD ROM Drives.
> Select the drive and right click for "properties".
> Select each tab to get all the needed information.

By George you've got it!

:-)

No region set.

Set to region 1.

Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:

'unable to open 'dvd://E:'

In 'messages' it says:

'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'

Trying a CD now:

It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.

Weird.

Molesworth

Bob Fay

"Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <TkYji.5384$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
> "Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Bob Fay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:n5Yji.5381$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>> >
>> > "Molesworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > I am in the USA and my drive is set on "Region 1".
>> >
>> > The DVD must be from the same region as your drive setting. What
>> > country

I know nothing about VLC. Does the DVD indicate what region it is recorded
for?

> Insert region 1 DVD, open with VLC which says:
>
> 'unable to open 'dvd://E:'
>
> In 'messages' it says:
>
> 'main error: no suitable access module for 'dvd://E:'
>
> Trying a CD now:
>
> It plays, and displays text titles etc as it should.
>
> Weird.
>
> Molesworth

Acer Aspire 8930 Aspire & Bluetooth / no Plug found on the Mutter-Boart (Ger/Eng) Andreas G Laptops 3 11-21-2011 01:12 PM
Aspire 3100-1718 Fred Acer 0 06-23-2009 07:44 PM
Aspire 3100 Battery Molesworth Acer 1 05-03-2008 05:03 PM
Replacing DVD drive in Aspire 3100 Molesworth Acer 1 02-15-2008 01:40 AM
Acer Aspire 3100-3102 DC Jack tony.willson Laptops 0 12-01-2007 06:52 PM