Asrock 939 Dual with AAti Radeon 9800 Pro

leonbirdi@gmail.com

I have just insalled an Asrock 939 Dual mainboard in my computer. I
have a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AGP and AMD Athlon 3200 + 1 GB Apacer RAM.

On boot nothing happens - only fans running but no vga signal or disk
activity... Any suggestions please ?

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have just insalled an Asrock 939 Dual mainboard in my computer. I
> have a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AGP and AMD Athlon 3200 + 1 GB Apacer RAM.
>
> On boot nothing happens - only fans running but no vga signal or disk
> activity... Any suggestions please ?

Most likely cause, is you haven't plugged in the 2x2 square ATX12V
power connector.

Next most likely cause, is jumper blocks J1 through J11 have been
changed from the factory default. Make sure the jumper blocks
match what is shown in the manual. J1 through J11 select whether
the motherboard uses the processor socket or the future processor
card slot. The default jumper settings are for selecting the S939
socket.

The 9800Pro also has a power connector, but I think you will still
get a warning video display, if the video card is run without
that connected.

Paul

Squigmont

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have just insalled an Asrock 939 Dual mainboard in my computer. I
> have a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AGP and AMD Athlon 3200 + 1 GB Apacer RAM.
>
> On boot nothing happens - only fans running but no vga signal or disk
> activity... Any suggestions please ?

Mine did the same thing, and neither of the things that Paul had suggested
for you were wrong on my end, so I had to RMA it. I bought it through eWiz
and not NewEgg, so it's been a month now and I still haven't received the
replacement. (eWiz ships it back to the factory in Asia and waits for a
replacement from them, *then* they ship it to me. Stupid. NewEgg would have
just send a replacement from stock right away and then dealt with the
supplier on their end for the replacement.)

leonbirdi@gmail.com

Thanks both of you. Unfortunately everything Paul suggests is ok
already... I'll have to return it - but I have a feeling it's got
something to do with the PRO graphics card... Anyone knows about that ?
It's very unclear in the manual, but there's something about "3.3 volt"
cards not supported...

RzR

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks both of you. Unfortunately everything Paul suggests is ok
> already... I'll have to return it - but I have a feeling it's got
> something to do with the PRO graphics card... Anyone knows about that ?
> It's very unclear in the manual, but there's something about "3.3 volt"
> cards not supported...

it should work...hell, riva tnt32 works no problem...can you test all
the cpu, ram and video card separately in another configuration? that
would pretty much pinpoint if its the board for sure

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thanks both of you. Unfortunately everything Paul suggests is ok
> already... I'll have to return it - but I have a feeling it's got
> something to do with the PRO graphics card... Anyone knows about that ?
> It's very unclear in the manual, but there's something about "3.3 volt"
> cards not supported...

No, you cannot blame this on the 9800pro. I have one of those
and have used it on two of my "1.5V only" motherboards, and it
works just fine. The edge connector on the card is keyed, to
prevent problems.

Paul

leonbirdi@gmail.com

Guys !

Problem solved. It seems there's a general Antec power supply problem.
The shop installed an even better 480W supply for free - all I had to
to was wait 45 minutes :-)

Thanks and merry x-mas to all :-)

leonbirdi@gmail.com

Problem solved :-)

The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
Thanks for the support !

BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...

Bill

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Problem solved :-)
>
> The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
> even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
> Thanks for the support !
>
> BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
> supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...

Could you < or they > be more specific about the problem with Antec
cases/powersupplies? I haven't heard of any recent ones. The last being
around a year ago. They're not using old stock are they?

Bill

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Problem solved :-)
> >
> > The power supply in the Antec case was faulty - the shop installed an
> > even better 480 W supply while I was waiting, so I'm A-OK by now.
> > Thanks for the support !
> >
> > BTW: They told me that Antec cases have general problems with the power
> > supplies - just to help u other guys with similar problems out there...
> >

> Could you < or they > be more specific about the problem with Antec
> cases/powersupplies? I haven't heard of any recent ones. The last being
> around a year ago. They're not using old stock are they?
>
> Bill

Well, if Antec gets a bad name, because they cannot tell the users
why their crap does stuff like this, then it will be their own
undoing. One of the forums I visited recently, had an Antec
rep defending their products, and claiming nothing was wrong.
A simple technical explanation, by either the affected motherboard
makers, or by Antec, would clear the air. This is power after all,
and not something high tech. A cheap scope and about 10 minutes
work, would show who is at fault. How many other brands
are having problem like this (failure to POST) ?

As long as users swap supplies, and find another brand works,
that will be all the proof we need.

Antec contracts out the manufacturing of their supplies, and that
is not really unusual. Many in the industry do that. All it takes,
is for Antec to do their own Q.C. on the products, to make sure
no bad designs ship.

Paul