ASRock 939 Dual SATAII Sync CPU and PCI-E?

NewsReeder

My asrock has the option in bios the Async or Sync the cpu and PCI-e. What
in tarnation does that do? This is not a bad board, but some options are not
clear. Anybody out there running one?

Rewd-dog

NewsReeder wrote:
> My asrock has the option in bios the Async or Sync the cpu and PCI-e. What
> in tarnation does that do? This is not a bad board, but some options are not
> clear. Anybody out there running one?

Yeah - Ive had one for about 6 weeks now - average board - if youve got
the cash the ASUS AN8 Deluxe is a better overclocking board - but i
didnt have the cash at the time.

The sync /Async relates to the Front side Bus (FSB) and the PCI Clock -
if you sync your FSB and increase to say 220Mhz (20Mhz increase as
200Mhz is standard on this board) the PCI clock increase from 66Mhz to
70Mhz or so.

This can be a problem with the AGP and PCI graphics card as they are
sensitive to small increases on the bus. This may lead to boot /
overheat problems.

The best thing if you want to overclock is to Async your FSB and PCI -
which means that although you increase your fsb the pci will lock at
66Mhz