ASRock 939A790GMH

Skybuck Flying

Ok,

At one webstore I have little choice for a replacement, the only socket 939
motherboard they have is this relatively new one:

ASRock 939A790GMH (Retail, RAID, Gb-LAN, VGA, Sound, µATX)

(AMD 790GX chipset)

Some issue's:

1. It's micro atx but my case can mount that I think.

2. It has very little space for PCI express, if I were to add my graphics
card to it then it would pretty much be full, the remaining pci express
would be unavailable because otherwise it would block the airflow.

3. It only has 1 network port, thus this would require an additional network
card which doesn't seem possible unless perhaps the little port is used.
Quite strange that it has a little port... there is very little hardware for
it as far as I know... pretty insane... I suspect it might be used for
debugging purposes for hardware or so ?!

4. I can forget about using the creative labs soundblaster which on one hand
would be a real shame, because it has nice software too and just got the
drivers working... and less frames in games... but on the other hand perhaps
I will then not kill the motherboard anymore...

I probably figured out how to connect 7.1 to motherboard, apperently not all
holes need to be used, one might be optical, so only 3 outs are probably
present which is exactly what it would need, but never tried this.. perhaps
more is necessary after all so I am not sure if I would be able to connect
the receiver. The motherboard as protected outputs... but perhaps it's still
possible to kill it one connecting receiver when power is on...

5. There seemed to be some troubles with smart information reading from sata
drives, some also say the sata drivers are slow/bad... might be an issue.

Also it seems to have aluminium solid capacitators ?!? not sure what that is
?

It also has an integrated graphics cards which is kinda interesting, but
it's not very powerfull, I doubt it can do opencl probably not.

Perhaps I should look a bit further at other stores...

Feel free to comment

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Hmm,

This is very surprising it seems to come with some kind of creative labs
x-fi MB thingy ? software ?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939A790GMH

http://www.creative.com/oem/pressrel...asrock_111009/

Could be interesting... then again I already have X-Fi soundblaster but if
it's bad, then maybe this onboard thing is a nice replacement.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ff2d$4dca2836$54192c06$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb .home.nl...
> Hmm,
>
> This is very surprising it seems to come with some kind of creative labs
> x-fi MB thingy ? software ?
>
> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939A790GMH
>
> http://www.creative.com/oem/pressrel...asrock_111009/
>
> Could be interesting... then again I already have X-Fi soundblaster but if
> it's bad, then maybe this onboard thing is a nice replacement.

Yeah it's a software, and trail too... I guess this could prove that X-Fi
soundblaster is just bullshit and it's all software back-ed up by some audio
processor... pretty lame, and it caused all this trouble... gjez...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

The more I look at this board, the more I start to like it... it's passively
cooled... that's pretty cool... but I might also look at newer sockets in
case I decided to replace everything with lower watt's/tdp's components

Bye,
Skybuck.

GMAN

In article <376ce$4dca28b3$54192c06$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.ho me.nl>, "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ff2d$4dca2836$54192c06$(E-Mail Removed)1.n b.home.nl...
>> Hmm,
>>
>> This is very surprising it seems to come with some kind of creative labs
>> x-fi MB thingy ? software ?
>>
>> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939A790GMH
>>
>> http://www.creative.com/oem/pressrel...asrock_111009/
>>
>> Could be interesting... then again I already have X-Fi soundblaster but if
>> it's bad, then maybe this onboard thing is a nice replacement.

>Yeah it's a software, and trail too... I guess this could prove that X-Fi
>soundblaster is just bullshit and it's all software back-ed up by some audio
>processor... pretty lame, and it caused all this trouble... gjez...
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.

No, having the SB card smacked between two SLI'd video cards with less than
millimeters of space between them is what probably killed the board/card.

Skybuck Flying

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vTxyp.138062$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> In article <376ce$4dca28b3$54192c06$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.ho me.nl>,
> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:ff2d$4dca2836$54192c06$(E-Mail Removed)1. nb.home.nl...
>>> Hmm,
>>>
>>> This is very surprising it seems to come with some kind of creative labs
>>> x-fi MB thingy ? software ?
>>>
>>> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939A790GMH
>>>
>>> http://www.creative.com/oem/pressrel...asrock_111009/
>>>
>>> Could be interesting... then again I already have X-Fi soundblaster but
>>> if
>>> it's bad, then maybe this onboard thing is a nice replacement.

>>Yeah it's a software, and trail too... I guess this could prove that X-Fi
>>soundblaster is just bullshit and it's all software back-ed up by some
>>audio
>>processor... pretty lame, and it caused all this trouble... gjez...
>>
>>Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>>

> No, having the SB card smacked between two SLI'd video cards with less
> than
> millimeters of space between them is what probably killed the board/card.

That's not how it was placed in the third build, only 1 gpu and 1 soundcard.

So all this "chat" and "thought" about to little airflow is B.S.

My PC had more airflow then 99.9% of the pc's out there is my bet !

Other theory could be heat from harddisks and/or memory chips...

I will have to look into that as well... but I suspect that little bit of
heat (though still 60 degrees power connectors from harddisk) will quickly
be blown out of case... but I could be wrong... this heat from harddisk
could perhaps also slowly frie the motherboard.

Perhaps I even have further evidence that there was a lot of heat in the pc
case, too much heat, perhaps also caused by a little bit of turbulence by
the plastic fan holder that came with antec 1200 inside the duct... none the
less still enough airflow. The evidence is the see through window... it
seems to have melted just a little bit... like 1 nanometer or something... I
placed it near my balkony door and placed in a certain angle/light I could
see a "oil-like rainbow".

Perhaps this "oil like rainbow" is from the manufacturing process but it
could also be a "heat related oil-like rainbow".

So the rainbow could have been produced by heat... perhaps little particles
stuck to the window... perhaps oil particles from cars/busses from the
neighbourhood.

The oil pattern seems to follow the flow of the airflow.

Perhaps later I will try to make a nice picture of it to show you guys just
for the fun/interest of it ! =D

None the less... if I am right then another sign of way too much heat in the
case... there shouldn't be an oily pattern like that ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Also there was a huge ammount of dust in the graphics card heatsinks... I
haven't cleaned it in a few years or so... also some oil I put in there
might have made it slightly worse... but the oil probably has little to do
with it...

Though the oil that I put in it could also explain the oily look on the
window... perhaps a few of those oil particles got heated and started
drifting...

Anyway I am tired of the whole dust situation with the antec 1200... last I
heard from you you had that case as well ?! You tired yet of cleaning those
dust filters every month or two ?

And the dust filters don't even help that much...

I am sick of the dust crap... another good reason for to stick with
"passively cooled" heatsinks...

At least they don't collect dust that fast... and will probably continue
working even if there is a little bit of dusting lieing on top of it...

The question remains what happens to a 7900 gtx if it's heatsink is full
with dust ?!? It will continue to function... but what happens to the heat
around it ?!? Will parts of the motherboard around it start to heat up, fry
? damage ?

Also most of the burned looking spots... could also be corrision but I don't
think it's corrision seem to be along the lines of the motherboard.

So either the motherboard it self is processing to much data... like to much
bandwidth is flowing through it causing these tiny little lines to heat
up...

Or the heat from other components is crawling/creeping into these tiny lines
like a radiator and spreading the heat across the motherboard... ultimately
leading to some kind of motherboard death.

So another good reason to get rid of hot components is to prevent "heat
crawl" lol ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Skybuck Flying

The theory/hypothesis of oil particles drifting and melting onto the window
can probably be dismissed, since I whiped that window with a dust cloth a
couple of times in the past... I can't imagine the temperature to be hot
enough to melt oil particles into the window... I could be wrong though...
but I don't think so...

It's probably the glass-like-plastic itself that got heated up by airflow
and got somewhat heated/melted to form this oil pattern... or it was
production process... but this last seems a little bit unlikely... I'd love
to see a video/picture of a new/unused plastic window to see if it has the
oil pattern or not... and not just any oil pattern but an airflow like
pattern

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

I am considering this board out of lazyness, however figuring out how to
connect the 7.1 receiver to it is the hard part.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...Specifications

This sentence is a bit weird:

"- HD Audio Jack: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker /
Microphone"

Almost seems like only a few speakers can be connected ?!?

Anybody know for sure if 7 analog RCA/speakers can be connected to it via
receiver with 3 plugs or so ? (Don't need bass).

I'll go check manual, maybe there is some information inside it about but I
doubt it... the asus manual didn't...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Ok, asrock's manual is a bit better, it explains what each audio hole does
and how it can be configured... what's missing is what kind of cables
needed... I am guessing probably 2 metal ring plug cables or something or
maybe 3...

Gonna be extra expensive if I have to buy new cables again... but old cables
will probably fit but won't go in entirely or maybe they will... perhaps
using wrong cables could even lead to damage ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

ASRock 939A790GMH Skybuck Flying Asus 17 05-20-2011 09:59 AM
Re: ASUS owns ASRock - Any ASRock users in here? Rat River Cemetary ASRock 2 04-23-2008 11:02 AM
Re: ASUS owns ASRock - Any ASRock users in here? mr deo ASRock 0 04-18-2008 06:25 PM
Quality of ASRock motherboards ? / Is ASRock the same as Elitegroup (ECS) ? Jason Stacy ASRock 0 11-29-2006 04:21 PM
Quality of ASRock motherboards ? / Is ASRock the same as Elitegroup (ECS) ? Jason Stacy ECS 0 11-29-2006 04:21 PM