ASROCK Audio header problems

Eric Parker

I have a Ferrari case with front audio wires idented
GND, MIC-IN, MIC-BIAS, SPKOUT L, RETURN L, SPKOUT R, RETURN R
My ASRock MB AliveNF6G-DVI has an audio header idented
GND, MIC2_L, PRESENCE#, MIC2_R, MIC_RET, OUT2_R, J_SENSE, OUT_RET,
OUT2_L

The manual isn't clear about how to connect these up.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Paul

Eric Parker wrote:
> I have a Ferrari case with front audio wires idented
> GND, MIC-IN, MIC-BIAS, SPKOUT L, RETURN L, SPKOUT R, RETURN R
> My ASRock MB AliveNF6G-DVI has an audio header idented
> GND, MIC2_L, PRESENCE#, MIC2_R, MIC_RET, OUT2_R, J_SENSE, OUT_RET,
> OUT2_L
>
> The manual isn't clear about how to connect these up.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

The computer case is "Intel standard AC'97" while the motherboard
is HDaudio (Azalia).

Pg.23 of the downloadable manual has instructions but the
instructions don't appear to be complete. (They forgot BIAS.)

MIC-IN MIC2_L
MIC-BIAS MIC2_R
GND GND

SPKOUT_L OUT2_L
SPKOUT_R OUT2_R

GND is shared by both jacks and goes to the shield contact on each.
That is why there are only five wires and not six.

Return_R and Return_L are no connects. Total 5 of 7 wires
used from the Ferrari end.

The return wires on the Ferrari are not needed, since HDaudio
has plenty of output ports - enough so that the front headphones
and the rear green Lineout speaker jack, can have their own drivers.
On AC'97, the return wires were used, to allow sharing the
lineout wires for both the front headphones and the rear
speakers. The HDaudio CODEC means no need for return wires.

MIC_RET and OUT_RET are part of the J_SENSE, and are used
for plug detection. They have nothing to do with the analog
audio signals and don't need to be connected. Similarly,
PRESENSE# is a logic signal used to tell the motherboard that
an HDaudio header has been installed. Your case wiring is
AC'97, so the PRESENSE# signal does not need to be asserted.
Thus, PRESENCE# is also a no connect. (If an HDaudio cable
was attached, it would ground the PRESENCE signal. Or
so the theory goes...)

HTH,
Paul

Eric Parker

news:el6b4b$h9i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Eric Parker wrote:
>> I have a Ferrari case with front audio wires idented
>> GND, MIC-IN, MIC-BIAS, SPKOUT L, RETURN L, SPKOUT R, RETURN R
>> My ASRock MB AliveNF6G-DVI has an audio header idented
>> GND, MIC2_L, PRESENCE#, MIC2_R, MIC_RET, OUT2_R, J_SENSE, OUT_RET,
>> OUT2_L
>>
>> The manual isn't clear about how to connect these up.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Eric
>>

> The computer case is "Intel standard AC'97" while the motherboard
> is HDaudio (Azalia).
>
> Pg.23 of the downloadable manual has instructions but the
> instructions don't appear to be complete. (They forgot BIAS.)
>
> MIC-IN MIC2_L
> MIC-BIAS MIC2_R
> GND GND
>
> SPKOUT_L OUT2_L
> SPKOUT_R OUT2_R
>
> GND is shared by both jacks and goes to the shield contact on each.
> That is why there are only five wires and not six.
>
> Return_R and Return_L are no connects. Total 5 of 7 wires
> used from the Ferrari end.
>
> The return wires on the Ferrari are not needed, since HDaudio
> has plenty of output ports - enough so that the front headphones
> and the rear green Lineout speaker jack, can have their own drivers.
> On AC'97, the return wires were used, to allow sharing the
> lineout wires for both the front headphones and the rear
> speakers. The HDaudio CODEC means no need for return wires.
>
> MIC_RET and OUT_RET are part of the J_SENSE, and are used
> for plug detection. They have nothing to do with the analog
> audio signals and don't need to be connected. Similarly,
> PRESENSE# is a logic signal used to tell the motherboard that
> an HDaudio header has been installed. Your case wiring is
> AC'97, so the PRESENSE# signal does not need to be asserted.
> Thus, PRESENCE# is also a no connect. (If an HDaudio cable
> was attached, it would ground the PRESENCE signal. Or
> so the theory goes...)
>
> HTH,
> Paul

You should be writing manuals for ASRock, or maybe you've better
things to do.
Thanks for the clear response.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
MIC_RET and OUT_RET are part of the J_SENSE, and are used
for plug detection. They have nothing to do with the analog
audio signals and don't need to be connected. Similarly,
PRESENSE# is a logic signal used to tell the motherboard that
an HDaudio header has been installed. Your case wiring is
AC'97, so the PRESENSE# signal does not need to be asserted.
Thus, PRESENCE# is also a no connect. (If an HDaudio cable
was attached, it would ground the PRESENCE signal. Or
so the theory goes...)
But as they would have to be it connects you pin the J_SENSE, OUT_RET and MIC_RET in order to make to understand to the motherboard that there is a jack inserted?
J_SENSE and OUT_RET are in short circuit if the jack it is inserted?