Asrock or Epox?

Keith Dawson

I am planning to upgrade my PC with a low-end mobo and Athlon XP, but
cannot decide if it is wiser to save some on the mobo to spend on more
RAM or a faster processor, or go for a better spec'd mobo knowing the
others can be more easily upgraded.
I had in mind an Asrock K7S8X, K7S8XE+ or an Epox 8RDAE to get a Nforce2
chipset, is there any advantages, e.g. if eventually I get to unlock a
Barton?
TIA
Keith

Wes Newell

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:01:30 +0200, Keith Dawson wrote:

> I am planning to upgrade my PC with a low-end mobo and Athlon XP, but
> cannot decide if it is wiser to save some on the mobo to spend on more
> RAM or a faster processor, or go for a better spec'd mobo knowing the
> others can be more easily upgraded.
> I had in mind an Asrock K7S8X, K7S8XE+ or an Epox 8RDAE to get a Nforce2
> chipset, is there any advantages, e.g. if eventually I get to unlock a
> Barton?

The plain K7S8X or XE doesn't have multiplier controls. The X/XE R30 and +
models do. You can also increase default vcore by 5% in the bios with
these models and the + model also has SATA raid. The + model around $50 is
going to be hard to beat.

Gregory Toomey

Keith Dawson wrote:

> I am planning to upgrade my PC with a low-end mobo and Athlon XP, but
> cannot decide if it is wiser to save some on the mobo to spend on more
> RAM or a faster processor, or go for a better spec'd mobo knowing the
> others can be more easily upgraded.
> I had in mind an Asrock K7S8X, K7S8XE+ or an Epox 8RDAE to get a Nforce2
> chipset, is there any advantages, e.g. if eventually I get to unlock a
> Barton?
> TIA
> Keith

I'm looking at getting a micro-ATX EpOX - its got good overclocking
abilities. 512M RAM is relatively cheap these days.

gtoomey