Asrock K7S41GX install problem

James

Hey i just got this mobo, hooked everything up, seems good, then when i try
to install windows it gives me an error message that it can't install the
display drivers, and to contact my hardware vendor, then it goes through a
bunch of other similair error messages, all stating i should contact my
hardware vendor, then it blue screens.
I updated the bios and no difference, any suggestions?

Paul

In article <mibqc.15584$j6.278@edtnps84>, "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey i just got this mobo, hooked everything up, seems good, then when i try
> to install windows it gives me an error message that it can't install the
> display drivers, and to contact my hardware vendor, then it goes through a
> bunch of other similair error messages, all stating i should contact my
> hardware vendor, then it blue screens.
> I updated the bios and no difference, any suggestions?

The manual says the board uses an SIS 741GX Northbridge with
built-in graphics core. The only hit in Google for this chip number
mentions an ECS 741GX-M motherboard, where someone was installing
Linux using a VESA frame buffer driver (so no help from Google).

http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/index_manual.htm
http://www.asrock.com.tw/Drivers/Manual/K7S41GX_UM.pdf

There is an SIS slide set here:

http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets...esentation.pdf

VGA Driver = SiS 3.54logo
AGP Driver = SiS 1.17logo

I would think that to start, Windows would be installing something
similar to the VESA thing mentioned above. All graphics devices
are supposed to support some kind of 640x480 default dumb frame
buffer mode. It almost sounds like Windows is having some
trouble with this ?

Normally, you would be installing the 1.17 file and the 3.54
file after Windows is installed. But if Windows cannot satisfy
a default install, then maybe your next step is to find a
graphics card, and finish the install with that. Then, try to
install the SiS driver files on the CDROM. With an AGP card
installed, the chipset/BIOS just might be smart enough to
prevent you from installing those VGA/AGP files. But, it is the
only thing I can think of right now. Even if you used a PCI
graphics card, I would expect the BIOS to disable the builtin
graphics, because otherwise you could install the drivers for
that hardware later.

There may be some fancy way to incorporate the SiS drivers with
a Windows install disk, but that is way above my head.

HTH,
Paul

James

Well, when i bought this mobo, i bought a copy of windows xp pro with
service pack one, thats the cd i was installing from. I'm trying again
right now with another copy of windows xp(non service pack one) and oddly
enough it seems to be working, SO FAR anyways....

wrote:

> > Hey i just got this mobo, hooked everything up, seems good, then when i

try
> > to install windows it gives me an error message that it can't install

the
> > display drivers, and to contact my hardware vendor, then it goes through

> > bunch of other similair error messages, all stating i should contact my
> > hardware vendor, then it blue screens.
> > I updated the bios and no difference, any suggestions?

> The manual says the board uses an SIS 741GX Northbridge with
> built-in graphics core. The only hit in Google for this chip number
> mentions an ECS 741GX-M motherboard, where someone was installing
> Linux using a VESA frame buffer driver (so no help from Google).
>
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/index_manual.htm
> http://www.asrock.com.tw/Drivers/Manual/K7S41GX_UM.pdf
>
> There is an SIS slide set here:

http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets...esentation.pdf

> VGA Driver = SiS 3.54logo
> AGP Driver = SiS 1.17logo
>
> I would think that to start, Windows would be installing something
> similar to the VESA thing mentioned above. All graphics devices
> are supposed to support some kind of 640x480 default dumb frame
> buffer mode. It almost sounds like Windows is having some
> trouble with this ?
>
> Normally, you would be installing the 1.17 file and the 3.54
> file after Windows is installed. But if Windows cannot satisfy
> a default install, then maybe your next step is to find a
> graphics card, and finish the install with that. Then, try to
> install the SiS driver files on the CDROM. With an AGP card
> installed, the chipset/BIOS just might be smart enough to
> prevent you from installing those VGA/AGP files. But, it is the
> only thing I can think of right now. Even if you used a PCI
> graphics card, I would expect the BIOS to disable the builtin
> graphics, because otherwise you could install the drivers for
> that hardware later.
>
> There may be some fancy way to incorporate the SiS drivers with
> a Windows install disk, but that is way above my head.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Tim

Paul,

FYI: Updating Drivers in a slipstream installation.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...619/38619.html

XP slipstream install of nForce drivers:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8892

Google Search: XP slipstream SP1 Drivers

IE creating CD's with whatever drivers you want + Service Packs + Hotfixes.

- Tim