ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag

Martin

Hi,

I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on the
mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is
still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A
quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
13. The frequency is also at default of course.

Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Martin

Bye
Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100

Wes Newell

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +0100, Martin wrote:

> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
> pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
talking about.

> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports multiplier
control, that's all you need to change to increase the speed, assuuming
your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.

> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about 2169
> from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU ID
> utilities shows the multiplier at default 13. The frequency is also at
> default of course.

And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.

> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

If the cpu is locked, raise FSB to increase speed. You should be able to
get at least 180MHz. out of the FSB. If you don't have the ability to
change it, you're basically stuck at a default speed. Beaware that
changing the FSB will also affect other buses on the system and you will
need to take appropriate action. You will also probably need to raise
vcore.

Martin

Reply to message from Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> (Mon, 29 Nov
2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

WN> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +
WN> 0100, Martin wrote:

>> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
>> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
WN> talking about.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.

>> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.

That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
multiplier to a number higher than default.

>> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about 2169
>> from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU
>> ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
>> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.

WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.

Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...

>> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

WN> If the cpu is locked, raise FSB to increase speed. You should be able
WN> to get at least 180MHz. out of the FSB. If you don't have the ability
WN> to change it, you're basically stuck at a default speed. Beaware that
WN> changing the FSB will also affect other buses on the system and you
WN> will need to take appropriate action. You will also probably need to
WN> raise vcore.

Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU is
to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented procedure, but
for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to find someone in
here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate you trying to
help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising my question,
which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the multiplier on an
Athlon 3000+!

Regards

Martin

WN> --
WN> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB) http://
WN> mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Bye
Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:48:39 +0100

Wes Newell

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:58:58 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Reply to message from Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> (Mon, 29 Nov
> 2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":
>
> WN> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:24:18 +
> WN> 0100, Martin wrote:
>
> >> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
> >> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware.

> WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
> WN> talking about.
>
> If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.

Then no one can help you.

> >> I've set the jumpers on the mobo to give a multiplier of 15.

> WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
> WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
> WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.
>
> That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
> multiplier to a number higher than default.

I guess you don't understand. You can't unlock a locked 3000+ cpu. There's
only one thing you can do to unlock the multipliers and that to turn it
into a mobile cpu and change default startup values. You do this by doing
some bridge work on the CPU itself. Now since there probably over a
hundred guides at Tom's how in the hell is anyone supposed to know which
one you were talking about. Now if you would give a link to the mod you
are trying to do, I will tell you if it will work or not in your case.
otherwise, you're just ****ing into the wind.

>> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about
> >> 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A quick check with a
> >> couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default 13. The
> >> frequency is also at default of course.

> WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.
>
> Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...

What T3 pins? Are you talking about the L3 bridges? They have no effect on
a locked Tbred or Barton or later core.

> Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU
> is to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented
> procedure, but for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to
> find someone in here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate
> you trying to help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising
> my question, which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the
> multiplier on an Athlon 3000+!

Again, what documented procedure are you talking about? I don't know how
you think someone can help you if you don't give a link to what you have
done or a detailed explanation of what you have done. Has anyone else
jumped in here and replied to help you? Give me that info and I'l help,
otherwise......

sdlomi2

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the CPU
> pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on the
> mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is
> still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be 2500. A
> quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier at default
> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.
>
> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin
>

> Bye
> Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Martin, PLEASE cooperate with Wes--if anyone in here can help you, he
can. I've been participating--mostly learning--in this group for 2-3 years.
And, Wes Newell, you'll eventually find, probly knows as much and is as
willing to share & help as ANYONE in the group. My 2 cents & often worth
every dime! Good luck. s

Martin

Reply to message from "sdlomi2" <(E-Mail Removed)> (Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:04:
02) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

s> "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1101669858@martin.
s> scotland.org...
>> Hi,

>> I'm using the above mobo with an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU. I've wired the
>> CPU pins as per the guidance at Tom's hardware. I've set the jumpers on
>> the mobo to give a multiplier of 15. However, the CPU frequency in BIOS
>> is still showing default (about 2169 from memory), when it should be
>> 2500. A quick check with a couple CPU ID utilities shows the multiplier
>> at default
>> 13. The frequency is also at default of course.

>> Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something obvious?

>> Thanks

>> Martin

>> Bye
>> Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:13 +0100

>> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

s> Martin, PLEASE cooperate with Wes--if anyone in here can help you, he
s> can. I've been participating--mostly learning-- in this group for 2-3
s> years. And, Wes Newell, you'll eventually find, probly knows as much
s> and is as willing to share
s> & help as ANYONE in the group. My 2 cents & often worth every dime!
s> Good luck. s

Thanks for the heads up, and it's probably just me being touchy, but I
don't care for his tone so I'll just have to do without the benefit of his
knowledge. I take the view that this is all meant to be fun, so I can do
without someone snapping at me. He was right about me typing T3 instead of
L3 though...

;> )

Regards

Martin

Bye
Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:43:59 +0100

JT

Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the pins. READ
the question first before your start unloading on him.
You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if you
need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your clearly not in
a position to help him since he's looking for people that has experience
with this hack to assist him and when it comes to this, you clearly don't.
No offense, but some questions are better left unanswered rather than
answered incorrectly.

No blast me for pointing out the obvious.

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.11.30.00.38.40.551437@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:58:58 +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>> Reply to message from Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> (Mon, 29
>> Nov
>> 2004 01:04:23) about "Re: ASRock K7V4A+ overclock snag":

>> WN> This maens absolutely nothing unless you give a link to what you are
>> WN> talking about.
>>
>> If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can't help me.
>>

> Then no one can help you.

>> WN> Then why did you do something from Toms? If you r MB supports
>> WN> multiplier control, that's all you need to change to increase the
>> WN> speed, assuuming your cpu isn't locked, which it likely is.
>>
>> That's why you wire the pins - to unlock it. Then you have to change the
>> multiplier to a number higher than default.
>>

> I guess you don't understand. You can't unlock a locked 3000+ cpu. There's
> only one thing you can do to unlock the multipliers and that to turn it
> into a mobile cpu and change default startup values. You do this by doing
> some bridge work on the CPU itself. Now since there probably over a
> hundred guides at Tom's how in the hell is anyone supposed to know which
> one you were talking about. Now if you would give a link to the mod you
> are trying to do, I will tell you if it will work or not in your case.
> otherwise, you're just ****ing into the wind.
>

>>> However, the CPU frequency in BIOS is still showing default (about

>> WN> And this pretty much confirms that you have a locked CPU.
>>
>> Quite. But it shouldn't be locked as I've wired the T3 pins...
>>

> What T3 pins? Are you talking about the L3 bridges? They have no effect on
> a locked Tbred or Barton or later core.
>
>> Thanks, I know all of the above, but the best way to overclock this CPU
>> is to unlock the CPU's multiplier. I've followed the documented
>> procedure, but for some unkown reason it isn't working. I was hoping to
>> find someone in here who'd been through the same procedure. I appreciate
>> you trying to help, but I don't think you needed to start by criticising
>> my question, which was perfectly clear to anyone who has tricked the
>> multiplier on an Athlon 3000+!
>>

> Again, what documented procedure are you talking about? I don't know how
> you think someone can help you if you don't give a link to what you have
> done or a detailed explanation of what you have done. Has anyone else
> jumped in here and replied to help you? Give me that info and I'l help,
> otherwise......
>
> --

Wes Newell

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:42:39 +0000, JT wrote:

> Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the pins.
> READ the question first before your start unloading on him.

Christ, as I told him, you can't change the multiplier using the pins or
even on the CPU, of a locked cpu.

> You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if you
> need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your clearly not
> in a position to help him since he's looking for people that has
> experience with this hack to assist him and when it comes to this, you
> clearly don't. No offense, but some questions are better left unanswered
> rather than answered incorrectly.

My wifes car failed inspection 2 days ago. I did what they said at Tom's
auto. Why didn't it work? Not much different than what he wrote.

> No blast me for pointing out the obvious.

WTF is that supposed to mean. There's about 50 fricking different hacks.
Now htf am I supposed know which one he's talking about when he doesn't
even know wtf he's talking about. I wasn't crticizing him . I was trying
to get him to give enough info so myself or someone else could help him.
And I 've yet to see anyone do that. WTF didn't you help him. COuld it be
because you didn't know wtf he was doing either?:-) I think he got enough
out of my last post to him to get him on the right track, but I not sure.
Seems he thinks I'm too hard talking or somnething. maybe an ass. I've
known lot's of people that think that until I actually show them wtf
they're doing wrong. Some of them still think I'm an ass. i don't care.
Don't have time to sweet talk sensitive people. Just give me all the facts
and I'll give you the answer if I know it. And more than likely, I will.

Martin

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:42:39 +0000, JT wrote:
>
>> Wes, ease up a tad man, he's doing the bridgework by wiring the
>> pins. READ the question first before your start unloading on him.

> Christ, as I told him, you can't change the multiplier using the pins
> or even on the CPU, of a locked cpu.
>
>> You criticize him for not pointing to a link, I would say this , if
>> you need the link for reference to what he's talking about, your
>> clearly not in a position to help him since he's looking for people
>> that has experience with this hack to assist him and when it comes
>> to this, you clearly don't. No offense, but some questions are
>> better left unanswered rather than answered incorrectly.
>>

> My wifes car failed inspection 2 days ago. I did what they said at
> Tom's auto. Why didn't it work? Not much different than what he wrote.

It is different from what I posted. A better analogy would be, I swapped the
front and rear pads like they said at Tom's auto. Do you see the difference?

>> No blast me for pointing out the obvious.
>>

> WTF is that supposed to mean. There's about 50 fricking different
> hacks. Now htf am I supposed know which one he's talking about when
> he doesn't even know wtf he's talking about. I wasn't crticizing him
> . I was trying to get him to give enough info so myself or someone
> else could help him. And I 've yet to see anyone do that. WTF didn't
> you help him. COuld it be because you didn't know wtf he was doing
> either?:-) I think he got enough out of my last post to him to get
> him on the right track, but I not sure. Seems he thinks I'm too hard
> talking or somnething. maybe an ass. I've known lot's of people that
> think that until I actually show them wtf they're doing wrong. Some
> of them still think I'm an ass. i don't care. Don't have time to
> sweet talk sensitive people. Just give me all the facts and I'll give
> you the answer if I know it. And more than likely, I will.

Not a problem. As you may have noticed, I chose to proceed without your
help. This is a hobby for me, so I don't need anyone snapping at me no
matter how capable they may be.

BTW, I may not care for your tone, but I'm sure you are not an ass.

Regards

Martin

JT

Correct. I do not know, that's why I didn't try to answer a question I was
not familiar with, unlike some people.

You've got time to post endless messages on this subject, but no time to be
halfway civil? o.k. If you say so. I'd say cut back on volume of messages a
tad and use just a slightly more tactful tone when asking for more
information and you'll get far more appreciation for your efforts.
Rather than writing all that inflammatory nonsense the first time, why not
just say, "Send us the link and we'll try to help ya out" ?
oh yea that's right, no time for that nonsense.
good day,
JT

newsan.2004.12.03.07.36.31.317412@TAKEOUTverizon .net...