ASRock K7VM2 R3.0 - "siren" noise

jonathansmith1962

ASRock K7VM2 R3.0

I build a system for a friend around this board. I left it on 24/7 for
a week, no problems.

A month later, my friend says he hears a "siren" noise. I have not
heard it myself as he does not live near me. The PC does not crash,
but the siren noise is constant and annoying.

I assume this is a temperature problem? Has anyone else experienced
this on this board? Any ideas before I travel a long way to sort this
out for him?

Many, many thanks.

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (jonathansmith1962) wrote:

> ASRock K7VM2 R3.0
>
> I build a system for a friend around this board. I left it on 24/7 for
> a week, no problems.
>
> A month later, my friend says he hears a "siren" noise. I have not
> heard it myself as he does not live near me. The PC does not crash,
> but the siren noise is constant and annoying.
>
> I assume this is a temperature problem? Has anyone else experienced
> this on this board? Any ideas before I travel a long way to sort this
> out for him?
>
> Many, many thanks.

This forum has a variety of motherboard types used in builds. You
can search here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/search.php

Here is a thread with a number of suggestions:
http://www.resellerratings.com/forum...ighlight=siren

The siren could be due to:

1) CPU temperature.
2) In the Power Monitor page in the BIOS, the BIOS can monitor fan
speeds, power supply voltages, and system voltages. If any are
out of spec, maybe that causes a siren ? Like, if Vcore dropped
out of spec, maybe it would siren for that too.

In the Power Monitor, have your friend disable all the fields in
the monitor page and see if it stops. There are probably still a
few hardware checks that don't rely on the Power Monitor that could
cause the sound, so that doesn't guarantee that it will stop.

So, the root causes as I see them, and also based on the comments in
the thread above:

1) CPU is overheating. Check with a monitoring program while in
Windows.
2) A fan is slowing below the threshold value (somewhere in the
1500-1800 RPM range maybe).
3) Vcore is out of spec. Check the board for burned toroidal inductors,
burned three lead MOSFETs soldered down on the board, and especially
look at the capacitors around the CPU socket for bulging or leaking
fluid, indicating a capacitor has failed.
4) Power supply connection(s) loose. Disconnect one by one and reseat
them, making sure any latch that secures them is fastened.
5) Power supply is failing. Check with Motherboard Monitor or Asus Probe
while in Windows. (Use only one monitoring program at a time, as
they fight with one another!) Run Prime95 as a load test, to draw
full load current. See if the PSU voltages are out of spec by
more than 5% to 10% or so.
6) Memory DIMM not secure in socket.

Many posters in this group end up replacing a power supply, so
if you run out of things to check, just swap supplies anyway :-)

If you think it is temperatures, get your friend to record room
temperature, case/motherboard temperature (from MBM), and CPU
temperature (from MBM motherboard monitor). If you need any
comments on cooling, tell us how many fans you are using, where
they are located, and also the value of the three temperatures
above, when computer is idle, and when computer is running 100%
via Prime95 test program.

HTH,
Paul