Asrock P4V88+ & Celeron D 320 (2.4GHz) overclock question

__spc__

Hi,

I thought I'd try and eek out some extra speed of my Celeron D, as I'd read
several reports of successful overclocking.

My set up is an Asrock P4V88+
(http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4v88+.htm), Celeron D 320 (2.4GHz;
http://www.intel.com/products/proces...n_D/index.htm), generic 512MB
DDR(400), NVidia GeForce4 MX 400 with 64MB, one case fan in and two out case
fans; at idle, this CPU is ca. 50 deg C.

The mobo has some overclock technology in it (auto recover from bad config
etc.), and it locks the PCI/AGP clock ratios in at 66 & 33 MHz, while
allowing FSB changes; the multiplier seems locked at 18.

I thought I'd try an FSB change from 133 to 166 to get 3GHz, but the system
wouldn't boot at all, just a flashing DVD drive light and power light, no
BIOS POST check or anything.

Am I taking the too smple approach here by just trying to change the FSB?

Any pointers much appreciated...

Phil Weldon

'__spc__' wrote, in part:
| I thought I'd try and eek out some extra speed of my Celeron D, as I'd
read
| several reports of successful overclocking.
_____

I've posted this general overclocking guide to this newsgroups several times
in the past few months. You should find what you need, or at least the
basis to ask further questions.
*****
A whole lot of people who have no idea of how to overclock have been
successful in overclocking. If the motherboard is 'overclocking friendly',
an Intel CPU is very easy to overclock. If the motherboard is NOT
'overclocking friendly' the task is much more difficult. If your
motherboard is 'overclocking friendly' the manual likely gives all the
information necessary to overclock, though the manual may have been
translanted back and forth among several languanges, and the information may
be a bit confusing.

#1. Raising the CPU voltage can destroy your CPU. NEVER raise the CPU
voltage more than 15% above the default voltage specified by Intel.
If you do raise it, do it in very small steps.

#2. Raising the CPU clock speed will NOT damage your Intel CPU,
motherboard, memory, or anything else. If you raise the clock speed too
much, the system will either not run in a stable manner, or will fail to
boot. This is not a problem because either the BIOS will automatically
reset to default values or there will be directions in the manual on how to
reset to default speeds.

#3. In overclocking, make any changes in small steps, checking for proper
operation after each change.

#4. Overclocking works best when the CPU temperature is kept as low as
possible.

#5. Intel CPUs can ONLY be overclocked by raising the clock speed. Even if
the multiplier can be set in the BIOS, changing this settings has NO effect.

#6. Some older motherboards may report an incorrect speed for CPUs that
have a higher speed than available when the BIOS was installed.

#7. Intel CPUs have a quad-pumped memory bus; that means data is transfered
four times for each clock cycle; for a 533 MHz Frontside Bus speed the clock
speed is 133 MHz. That 133 MHz clock speed is multiplied by a factor FIXED
and UNCHANGABLE inside the CPU to give the overall CPU clock speed. For
your 2660 MHz CPU, the multiplier is X 20 (133 MHz X 20 = 2660 MHZ.)

#8. The rated speed of the installed memory can limit the overclock.
Memory can be overclocked, but it will eventualy reach a limit. Faster
memory can be installed, but the cost may not be worth it. The memory clock
can be set to a lower ratio (with some motherboards) to allow higher clock
speeds, but there is a performance penalty.

A reasonable goal for your CPU is 3.33 GHz. With luck and good cooling over
3.5 GHz should be possible.

How you overclock depends on the specifics of your system, how much patience
you have, and much attention you pay to details.

A general approach:

* Download and install MotherBoard Monitor 5 (free) at
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ . This will allow you to monitor and
record the CPU speeds, fan speeds, CPU temperature (and perhaps motherboard,
memory, and other temperatures), and voltages. The power supply voltages
reported by MotherBoard Monitor 5 should meet the specifications of ATX12V
that can be found at
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...public_br2.pdf

* Download and install SiSoft Sandra (free) at
http://www.sisoftware.net/ . This program is a collection of
information gathering applets for your system. It also has low level tests
of performance, as well as stress tests (necessary to establish proper
operation when the CPU is operating at full capacity. I find version 2004
more useful than 2005, but 2004 is hard to find now.

* Use MotherBoard Monitor 4 and SiSoft Sandra because the vast majority of
the people who use this forum also use these applications

* Read the manual carefully.

* Clean the heatsink fins, and fans of all dust, grease, and dirt.

* Write down the settings in the BIOS.

* Write down the temperature and voltage information from MotherBoard
Monitor 5.

* Check the voltages reported by MotherBoard Monitor 5 for you system. If
any are outside the specifications this may affect the operation of your
system, especially if it is overclocked. Also check the total rated output
of your power supply, if it is marginal, overclocking (since more power is
required) may also be marginal.

* Steps for overclocking your Intel CPU (only after completing the above
recommendations):

#0. The standard setup for PCI bus and AGP bus speeds are fractions of
the clock speed. Make sure the PCI/AGP Bus speeds are instead locked at 33
MHz/66 MHz; if the PCI bus speed is more than 36 MHz corruption of data on
your hard drives can occur.

#1. Increase the clock speed by 5%.

#2. Reboot and check for proper operation.

#3. If #2 is successful, repeat #1.

#4. If #2 is not successful, raise the CPU core voltage by 0.05 volts
(in NO case raise this voltage to more than a total of 15%, doing so may
instantly destroy your CPU; when the core voltage reaches this limit go to
#6.)

#5. Go to #2.

#6. You have reached the limit of overclocking without changing other
factors which may include CPU cooling, System cooling, memory settings.
Installing memory capable of higher clock speeds may help. On the other
hand, some of these changes may be expensive, and not worth the money for
the possible performance increase.

* After reaching the highest speed, check operation under full CPU load (use
SiSoft Sandra burn-in, other burn-in programs, or intense action 3D
accelerated first-person shooter games.) If the system is not stable under
heavy load, try reducing the clock speed and/or CPU core voltage (higher
voltage means higher operating temperatures.)

* Check the installation of the CPU heatsink; new heatsink compound may help
CPU cooling. Find directions for using heatsink compound on the internet.

* A better than stock heatsink/fan may aid overclocking.

* Improved system cooling may aid overclocking.

* Exotic cooling of the CPU to room temperature or below can significantly
increase top speeds (or not, depending on the individual CPU speed, memory
quality, and motherboard.)

WARNINGS!!!
* Increasing the CPU voltage above 15% over specifications is likely to
INSTANTLY destroy the CPU
* There is always a chance that when you start fooling around inside the
system case of your computer that you may cause damage (the butterfinger
factor.)

You can find a LOT of additional information on the Internet, including the
speeds that others overclockers have reached with your model CPU. One
question you must ask yourself is WHY you wish to overclock; I can think of
three reasons:

#1. Higher performance at little or no expense with your present
system.

#2. Just because you can, and enjoy experimenting

#3. Bragging rights - the highest possible speeds (which is going to
require a LOT more money.

Don't let this long list intimidate you; just go along step by step.

I am posting this on a system using
aBit TH7-II (Intel 850 chipset) motherboard
Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 400 MHz FSB Northwood CPU
PC800 RDRAM 640 MBytes
Stock CPU cooling
450 Watt Antec Power Supply
With a room ambient temperature of ~ 26 C

idle temperatures
CPU 40 C
motherboard 34 C
memory 31 C

heavy load temperatures
CPU 51 C
motherboard 38 C
memory 33 C

I selected a clock speed in the BIOS of 121 MHz, giving a CPU speed of 121
MHz X 26 = 3146 MHz. The CPU will overclock to a higher speed, but the
memory will not. To reach a higher CPU speed requires setting the memory
clock/CPU clock ratio to other than 1, which reduces performance. Since I
just want improved AND reliable performance and not the highest possible
clock speed, 3146 suits me fine, though with async setting 3.5 GHz is easily
reached.

Good luck.

Phil Weldon

"__spc__" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qhW9f.12815$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| I thought I'd try and eek out some extra speed of my Celeron D, as I'd
read
| several reports of successful overclocking.
|
| My set up is an Asrock P4V88+
| (http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4v88+.htm), Celeron D 320 (2.4GHz;
| http://www.intel.com/products/proces...n_D/index.htm), generic
512MB
| DDR(400), NVidia GeForce4 MX 400 with 64MB, one case fan in and two out
case
| fans; at idle, this CPU is ca. 50 deg C.
|
| The mobo has some overclock technology in it (auto recover from bad config
| etc.), and it locks the PCI/AGP clock ratios in at 66 & 33 MHz, while
| allowing FSB changes; the multiplier seems locked at 18.
|
| I thought I'd try an FSB change from 133 to 166 to get 3GHz, but the
system
| wouldn't boot at all, just a flashing DVD drive light and power light, no
| BIOS POST check or anything.
|
| Am I taking the too smple approach here by just trying to change the FSB?
|
| Any pointers much appreciated...

__spc__

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jXW9f.3193$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> '__spc__' wrote, in part:
> | I thought I'd try and eek out some extra speed of my Celeron D, as I'd
> read
> | several reports of successful overclocking.
> _____
>
> I've posted this general overclocking guide to this newsgroups several
> times
> in the past few months. You should find what you need, or at least the
> basis to ask further questions.
> *****

[snip]

Mnay thanks Phil, this looks pretty comprehensive and at first glance, just
what I need. I'll try this out tonight.

Thanks - __spc__

> [...]

> (2.4GHz;
> | http://www.intel.com/products/proces...n_D/index.htm), generic
> 512MB
> | DDR(400), NVidia GeForce4 MX 400 with 64MB, one case fan in and two out
> case
> | fans; at idle, this CPU is ca. 50 deg C.
> |
> | The mobo has some overclock technology in it (auto recover from bad
> config
> | etc.), and it locks the PCI/AGP clock ratios in at 66 & 33 MHz, while
> | allowing FSB changes; the multiplier seems locked at 18.
> |
> | I thought I'd try an FSB change from 133 to 166 to get 3GHz, but the
> system
> | wouldn't boot at all, just a flashing DVD drive light and power light,
> no
> | BIOS POST check or anything.
> |
> | Am I taking the too smple approach here by just trying to change the

Hi Phil,

Hmmm, I got the FSB from 133 to 143 and then for one boot to XP, 143 to
153 - voltages at idel in the BIOS unchanged. 163 and my machine failed to
even BIOS POST. Back to 153, an unstable system.

Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?

Richard Hopkins

"__spc__" wrote in message...
> Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?

What gives you that idea? Your CPU isn't "naff" as it presumably works fine
at default speed.

As far as the overclocking is concerned, there are a number of potential
reasons for it being unstable that are nothing directly to do with the CPU.
If, for example, you're not setting the correct memory bus multiplier, it
could well be the memory falling over, not the processor.

You need to read Phil's FAQ, look at the options provided by the BIOS on
your motherboard, and then work it out from there.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Phil Weldon

'__spc__' wrote, in part:
| Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?
_____

Well, it takes a bit of patience. If I understand your post correctly, you
did not try a higher core voltage. Usually overclocking is accomplished by
alternately inching up FSB and CPU voltage. And if you only tried the three
higher FSBs (143, 153, 163), then perhaps you should use smaller FSB steps.
It is also important to keep track of the CPU temperature, along with the
motherboard temperature and room temperature. Cooling plays an important
part in overclocking. I'd suggest you keep trying, and that you have a good
chance with a FSB in 160's (unless your RAM or motherboard aren't up to the
task.)

Also, when replying to a post, it is a good idea to trim the quotes. It
really wasn't necessary to repeat my entire, very long post in your reply.
The original will always be there in the thread.

"__spc__" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8ftaf.1498$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi Phil,
|
| Hmmm, I got the FSB from 133 to 143 and then for one boot to XP, 143 to
| 153 - voltages at idel in the BIOS unchanged. 163 and my machine failed
| even BIOS POST. Back to 153, an unstable system.
|
| Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?

..
..
..

__spc__

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zwvaf.3799$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> '__spc__' wrote, in part:
> | Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?
> _____
>
> Well, it takes a bit of patience. If I understand your post correctly,
> you
> did not try a higher core voltage. Usually overclocking is accomplished
> by
> alternately inching up FSB and CPU voltage. And if you only tried the
> three
> higher FSBs (143, 153, 163), then perhaps you should use smaller FSB
> steps.
> It is also important to keep track of the CPU temperature, along with the
> motherboard temperature and room temperature. Cooling plays an important
> part in overclocking. I'd suggest you keep trying, and that you have a
> good
> chance with a FSB in 160's (unless your RAM or motherboard aren't up to
> the
> task.)

The case is using air-cooling, but plenty of fans; the temperature on moving
to a 143MGz only went up 1 degC in BIOS idle mode for both CPU and chassis;
the voltages did not change.

The motherboard is overclock friendly, supposedly, and has PCI/AGP BUS
speeds locked, and the multiplier of 18 is locked on the CPU.

OK - I will try 143MHz again and run it at his for some time to see if it's
stable - this gives a 7% speed increase. Then I'll try incrementing the FSB
a couple of MHz at a time; and the voltage by a couple of % and see where
that gets me...

> Also, when replying to a post, it is a good idea to trim the quotes. It
> really wasn't necessary to repeat my entire, very long post in your reply.
> The original will always be there in the thread.

Apologies for that; I normally remember to...

Thanks for your help on this; I'm convinced I cab get a lot more out of this
processor!

__spc__

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "__spc__" wrote in message...
>> Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?

> What gives you that idea? Your CPU isn't "naff" as it presumably works
> fine at default speed.

It does indeed. Going from FSB (MHz) 133 to 143 allows a boot into XP. The
temps and voltages do NOT change. The system is unstable though and after a
blast on LOTR Battle for Middle Earth, teh system resets itself and reboots.

Once, an FSB of 153 booted to XP, but the system locked. Again, in the BIOS
hardware monitor section, temps and voltages appeared unchanged.

> As far as the overclocking is concerned, there are a number of potential
> reasons for it being unstable that are nothing directly to do with the
> CPU. If, for example, you're not setting the correct memory bus
> multiplier, it could well be the memory falling over, not the processor.

I don't think that the option exists to CHANGE the memory multiplier; the
mobo' locks the PCI/AGP ratio.

> You need to read Phil's FAQ, look at the options provided by the BIOS on
> your motherboard, and then work it out from there.

This was comprehensive and I followed it - that is why I feel I am stuck
with stock speeds...

Phil Weldon

'__spc__' wrote, in part:
| This was comprehensive and I followed it - that is why I feel I am stuck
| with stock speeds...
_____

Something puzzles me about your replies.

You state the voltage and temperatures remain the same in the BIOS report.

I think you misunderstand the CPU voltage and perhaps the CPU temperature
reported in the BIOS.

YOU must change the CPU voltage setting in the BIOS to raise it in trying to
reach a stable overclock. THEN the BIOS WILL report a different CPU
voltage.

The temperature the BIOS reports is pretty useless, as the system has just
been turned on and the CPU is not generating anywhere near its peak.

You should use an applet like MotherBoard Monitor to track and log CPU
temperatures when the system is operating and the CPU is doing a lot of
work, generating much more heat. The BIOS reports really don't tell you
anything except an extremely high CPU temperature might indicate the CPU
heatsink isn't properly installed.

There is a lot of information in my post, gathered from years of posts in
this newsgroup and from my own experience. I suggest you re-read the
information, especially the steps in overclocking by raising the FSB speed
and CPU voltage by small increments. Don't expect to get everything at
once.

No one can give EXACT directions for overclocking your system. All we can
do is try to explain the proceedure. If you get stuck, try again. And then
try posting some specific questions (and give SPECIFIC information about
EXACT temperatures, bus settings, and voltages - including whether your
power supply voltages are in spec.)

Very few people who use this newsgroup will have your particular
motherboard, so you need to give informaion about the availiable settings.

Good luck. Try again. Ask more specific questions when you have them.

Phil Weldon

"__spc__" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:B1Paf.1954$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > "__spc__" wrote in message...
| >> Think I'll stick with the stock clocked CPU. Maybe I have a naff CPU?
| >
| > What gives you that idea? Your CPU isn't "naff" as it presumably works
| > fine at default speed.
|
| It does indeed. Going from FSB (MHz) 133 to 143 allows a boot into XP.
The
| temps and voltages do NOT change. The system is unstable though and after
| blast on LOTR Battle for Middle Earth, teh system resets itself and
reboots.

| Once, an FSB of 153 booted to XP, but the system locked. Again, in the
BIOS
| hardware monitor section, temps and voltages appeared unchanged.
|
| > As far as the overclocking is concerned, there are a number of potential
| > reasons for it being unstable that are nothing directly to do with the
| > CPU. If, for example, you're not setting the correct memory bus
| > multiplier, it could well be the memory falling over, not the processor.
|
| I don't think that the option exists to CHANGE the memory multiplier; the
| mobo' locks the PCI/AGP ratio.
|
| > You need to read Phil's FAQ, look at the options provided by the BIOS on
| > your motherboard, and then work it out from there.
|
| This was comprehensive and I followed it - that is why I feel I am stuck
| with stock speeds...

Richard Hopkins

"__spc__" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> The case is using air-cooling, but plenty of fans;

It's not just the number of case fans that's important. In fact the number
of them is the least significant factor. It's far more important to have a
well designed case cooling layout - with fans optimally positioned and
blowing in the correct direction - than it is to simply throw loads of fans
in at random.

> the temperature on moving to a 143MGz only went up 1 degC in BIOS idle
> mode for both CPU and chassis;

As Phil has already said, the temperature readings you see in the BIOS are
useless as far as tracking overclocking stability is concerned, as the
processor is basically sat there doing nothing while you have the BIOS up.
You need to see how hot it gets when you're actually working the system
hard, and to do that you need to monitor and log the system health
parameters when the OS is up, which means Motherboard Monitor or similar.

> the voltages did not change.

Erm, you wouldn't/shouldn't have expected them to.

> OK - I will try 143MHz again and run it at his for some time to see
> if it's stable - this gives a 7% speed increase.

Why are you going for 10MHz jumps? 1MHz at a time takes a little longer but
you will actually learn far more from a more incremental and analytical
process than you will trying to bite it off in over-large chunks and falling
back to square one each time.

> Then I'll try incrementing the FSB a couple of MHz at a time; and the
> voltage by a couple of % and see where that gets me...

If it's absolutely rock stable at 143, move on to 144, and so-on til you
start to notice instability. Once you reach that point - channge one
parameter - for example the CPU voltage, and see if stability is restored.
If the system is still shaky, put the voltage back down to default and
change another parameter - for example the memory bus multiplier - and see
if that restores stability.

By working through the process methodically in the manner suggested above,
you will eliminate guesswork and isolate the bottlenecks in your system with
precision - which will in turn allow you to find the optimal settings for
your system.

> Thanks for your help on this; I'm convinced I cab get a lot more out of
> this processor!

I'm sure you can, but you need to remember the old "softly softly catchee
monkey" adage. It's rarely truer than when applied to overclocking PC's.