ASROCK versus ASUS

Piotr Makley

Asrock and Asus motherboards are both made by Asustek. So what is
the main difference between them?

I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range so is one range positoned
to be cheap and the other to be more expensive but with more
features? Or do both ranges aim at broadly the same market but one
is built better than the other?

Any info welcome.

Grebo

Are they both built by Asustek, I never knew that.

I have used both and the Asus was far superior in my opinion.

Graeme

"Piotr Makley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Asrock and Asus motherboards are both made by Asustek. So what is
> the main difference between them?
>
> I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range so is one range positoned
> to be cheap and the other to be more expensive but with more
> features? Or do both ranges aim at broadly the same market but one
> is built better than the other?
>
> Any info welcome.

~misfit~

Piotr Makley wrote:
> Asrock and Asus motherboards are both made by Asustek. So what is
> the main difference between them?
>
> I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range so is one range positoned
> to be cheap and the other to be more expensive but with more
> features? Or do both ranges aim at broadly the same market but one
> is built better than the other?
>
> Any info welcome.

Asrock *is* the budget range, they usually have less choice of options and
slightly less expensive components (From what I gather). It is Asustek's
attempt at getting a slice of the budget/OEM market without compromising the
name of their Asus range.

Seiko did something similar years back, with a difference. They bought out
the 'Pulsar' brand of watches which are internally identical to the Seiko
range but sell for about 40% less. (A great buy BTW, I have a 10-year old
Pulsar that I wear in the shower, swimming-pool etc. and it's running
perfectly). Seiko found themselves in a situation where they could produce
their product for a lot less than they were charging for it but didn't want
their name associated with lower-priced product, they have a good reputation
and people will pay a premium for a watch with "Seiko" on it. So they
invented the Pulsar brand. (This was circa 1980) Wise people in the know who
weren't overly image-conscious bought Pulsar and saved approximately 40% and
got the exact same ultra-reliable watch. They're made in the same factory,
they just go to a different 'finishing line' where they are fitted into
either a Seiko or a Pulsar case.

It's not quite the same with Asus /Asrock, they use different
components/features on their Asrock range but the example holds true. Not
wanting to diminish the name of their premium range in the eye of the
consumer.
--
~misfit~

Paul Hopwood

Piotr Makley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Asrock and Asus motherboards are both made by Asustek. So what is
>the main difference between them?

>I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range so is one range positoned
>to be cheap and the other to be more expensive but with more
>features? Or do both ranges aim at broadly the same market but one
>is built better than the other?

Only worked with one ASRock board I can recall and don't know how much
it cost but I thought the Asus P4BGV-MX I fitted into a machine
recently, one of the cheapest integrated S478 boards around (less than
£40 delivered), was a better board. Don't know if that's
representative of the range in general.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<

BigH2K

"Paul Hopwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Piotr Makley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Asrock and Asus motherboards are both made by Asustek. So what is
> >the main difference between them?

> >I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range so is one range positoned
> >to be cheap and the other to be more expensive but with more
> >features? Or do both ranges aim at broadly the same market but one
> >is built better than the other?

> Only worked with one ASRock board I can recall and don't know how much
> it cost but I thought the Asus P4BGV-MX I fitted into a machine
> recently, one of the cheapest integrated S478 boards around (less than
> £40 delivered), was a better board. Don't know if that's
> representative of the range in general.
>
> --
> >iv< Paul >iv<

Nothing but good things to say for Asus P3 and P4 boards but I found the few
Socket A boards to be very problematic.

---

Piotr Makley

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Wise people in the know who
> weren't overly image-conscious bought Pulsar and saved
> approximately 40% and got the exact same ultra-reliable watch.
> They're made in the same factory, they just go to a different
> 'finishing line' where they are fitted into either a Seiko or
> a Pulsar case.

But what about quality control? Is that different?

Piotr Makley wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Wise people in the know who
>> weren't overly image-conscious bought Pulsar and saved
>> approximately 40% and got the exact same ultra-reliable watch.
>> They're made in the same factory, they just go to a different
>> 'finishing line' where they are fitted into either a Seiko or
>> a Pulsar case.

> But what about quality control? Is that different?

No, not at all. I happened to be in a jewellers shop when a Seiko/Pulsar rep
was there, just as they bought out the Pulsar brand. He was explaining it to
the shop owner. The internals come off the same production-line, go through
the same QT, and are then diverted to either the Seiko or Pulsar 'finishing'
line (for fitting into cases), depending on demand.

As I said, my Pulsar hasn't given me a moments trouble in the 10 years I've
had it. I told a guy who owned a Seiko (that he paid heaps more for) about
it and he didn't believe me until I showed him that they have the same
'double
wave' logo on the back (both watches are 100m water resist).
--
~misfit~

JAD

Wow, haven't talked about pulsar watches in some time. I have a
Pulsar time computer. The last of the LED era. Red and emerald green
readout, huge and pretty darn ugly ;^) but works like a
charm. I have another that I haven't thought about for some time, it
was a graduation present from my folks (circa 1976), you got me
hunting for it now.

news:hc2cc.5489$d%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Piotr Makley wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Wise people in the know who
> >> weren't overly image-conscious bought Pulsar and saved
> >> approximately 40% and got the exact same ultra-reliable watch.
> >> They're made in the same factory, they just go to a different
> >> 'finishing line' where they are fitted into either a Seiko or
> >> a Pulsar case.

> > But what about quality control? Is that different?

> No, not at all. I happened to be in a jewellers shop when a

Seiko/Pulsar rep
> was there, just as they bought out the Pulsar brand. He was

explaining it to
> the shop owner. The internals come off the same production-line, go

through
> the same QT, and are then diverted to either the Seiko or Pulsar

'finishing'
> line (for fitting into cases), depending on demand.
>
> As I said, my Pulsar hasn't given me a moments trouble in the 10

years I've
> had it. I told a guy who owned a Seiko (that he paid heaps more for)

about
> it and he didn't believe me until I showed him that they have the

same
> 'double
> wave' logo on the back (both watches are 100m water resist).
> --
> ~misfit~

~misfit~

JAD wrote:
> Wow, haven't talked about pulsar watches in some time. I have a
> Pulsar time computer. The last of the LED era. Red and emerald green
> readout, huge and pretty darn ugly ;^) but works like a
> charm. I have another that I haven't thought about for some time, it
> was a graduation present from my folks (circa 1976), you got me
> hunting for it now.

Good watches. Although I'm not sure if Seiko owned them all along or bought
them as an outlet for their 'off-brand' watches.

I once had an LED watch, you had to push a button for the time display to
light up. It was like a monolithic lump of stainless steel on a stainless
steel band with a couple of buttons on the side and a small blank window in
it that lit up with the display when you pushed a button. It must have
weighed 200g. I liked it, wish I still had it (although reading the time was
a two-handed job). Then LCDs got cheaper and LED watches disappeared AFAIK.
I bought mine in about '76 too, man it was high-tech. <g>.
--
~misfit~

> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hc2cc.5489$d%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Piotr Makley wrote:

>>> But what about quality control? Is that different?

>> No, not at all. I happened to be in a jewellers shop when a
>> Seiko/Pulsar rep was there, just as they bought out the Pulsar
>> brand. He was explaining it to the shop owner. The internals come
>> off the same production-line, go through the same QT, and are then
>> diverted to either the Seiko or Pulsar 'finishing' line (for fitting
>> into cases), depending on demand.
>>
>> As I said, my Pulsar hasn't given me a moments trouble in the 10
>> years I've had it. I told a guy who owned a Seiko (that he paid
>> heaps more for) about it and he didn't believe me until I showed him
>> that they have the same 'double
>> wave' logo on the back (both watches are 100m water resist).
>> --
>> ~misfit~

K-Tel Ronco

<SNIP>
" I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range "

I have to agree with that. In a number of years of building The Asrock is
the only boards I Have ever had a failure on (and I have used some crap).
Not a catastrophic failure I may add, rear usb ports died. However I bought
it thinking it was a quality item. I forget the model, was one of these
maplin bundles that at the time seemed like a great deal.