assembly for Ultra (ABI)

tvburger

Hi all,

I am working on OS'es and got now a few Sun machines (Ultra 1 & 5).

Does someone know a good introduction to assembly for these machines?

Sofar, I cant make any sense of the trap handling using the V8
Specification from SPARC.org.

Thnx,

- Tom

Dimitrios Tsifakis

Hi,

I found this book rather ok, as an introductory book of course (there
aren't many anyway). I guess it all depends on your general computer
architecture skills. You might find this too introductory. Oh well.
Also keep in mind that I am not sure if it includes v9 stuff.

TITLE SPARC architecture, assembly language programming, and C /
Richard P. Paul.
AUTHOR Paul, Richard P.
PUBLISHED Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice Hall, c1994.
DESCRIPT xvi, 448 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
SUBJECT Reduced instruction set computers.
Assembler language (Computer program language)
C (Computer program language)
CONTENTS 1. The Computer -- 2. SPARC Architecture -- 3. Digital Logic and
Binary Numbers -- 4. Binary Arithmetic -- 5. The Stack -- 6.
Data Structures -- 7. Subroutines -- 8. Machine Instructions --
9. External Data and Text -- 10. Input/Output -- 11. Floating-
Point -- 12. Traps and Exceptions -- 13. Memory Management --
14. Other Architectures -- A Macro Definitions -- B
Multiplication by Constants -- C User Mode Machine Instructions
-- D Synthetic Instructions and Pseudo-Ops -- E Instructions
Sorted Alphabetically -- F Powers of Two -- G Macro Language
Processor m4.
BIBLIOG. Includes bibliographical references (p. 437-438) and index.
ADD TITLE SPARC architecture, assembly language programming & C.
ISBN 0138768897.
ABN IMM # 9931024.
93010038.

cheers,
dimitris

--
( | ) Dimitris Tsifakis <(E-Mail Removed)>
/_\ VK1KBN / SV1DET (ham radio)

--
( | ) Dimitris Tsifakis
/_\ VK1KBN / SV1DET (ham radio)

Raymond Toy

Dimitrios> Hi,
Dimitrios> I found this book rather ok, as an introductory book of course (there
Dimitrios> aren't many anyway). I guess it all depends on your general computer
Dimitrios> architecture skills. You might find this too introductory. Oh well.
Dimitrios> Also keep in mind that I am not sure if it includes v9 stuff.

Dimitrios> TITLE SPARC architecture, assembly language programming, and C /
Dimitrios> Richard P. Paul.

I agree. It's a good introduction and explains the calling sequence
and register window usage fairly well.

There is a small section on V9, but mostly just briefly introduces the
new instructions. Enough to know they exist, but you'll probably need
the Sparc V9 Architecture Manual for more info.

Ray

AT91RM9200 boot code conversion: ADS assembly to gcc assembly shuwn yuan Embedded 1 03-15-2006 07:30 PM
FS: Cheap Ultra 60s Dual Processor , Ultra 5, Ultra 1 Plano Seller Sun Hardware 1 11-14-2004 05:51 PM
My first PC Assembly Louis1 Asus 3 09-18-2004 04:51 AM
FS: Compaq 14" TFT assembly for Presario 1200, 1600, 1800, and 1900series $100 gregory trimper Compaq 0 04-27-2004 07:07 PM
Recommended IDE assembly Vadim Barshtak Asus 0 04-06-2004 01:32 AM