Asus A7V8X and a XP 2500 AMD, help

Bradley Moser

Last weekend i went out and bought a XP 2500 AMD CPU and got it home
thinking it would work in my motherboard.

My older motherboard only goes up to 266 bus speed.
So I went back and bought anAsus A7V8X motherboard, its a cheap board. But
its all I need.

Before I take everything out and take it back for them to check it,
When I boot up my computer it said that its a 1100 XP.

The CPU was brand new in AMD plastic sealed case.
could the CPU to miss marked.

The motherboard only have 5 dip switches to change the CPU frequency.
I tried to change it and my computer will not boot up.
I also bought a 256 meg of ram 2700.

Any help.
Thank you
Brad

Wes Newell

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:04:59 +0000, Bradley Moser wrote:

> Last weekend i went out and bought a XP 2500 AMD CPU and got it home
> thinking it would work in my motherboard.
>
> My older motherboard only goes up to 266 bus speed.
> So I went back and bought anAsus A7V8X motherboard, its a cheap board. But
> its all I need.
>
> Before I take everything out and take it back for them to check it,
> When I boot up my computer it said that its a 1100 XP.

The default multiplier on the 2500+ is 11, so if you have your FSB set to
100MHz (200FSB) then you only get a cpu running at 1100Mhz. Set the FSB to
166MHz. If it won't boot at that, it moght be because of the ram settings.
PC2700 rams top setting is 166Mhz. If you can exchange the ram for PC3200
or higher it would be an advantage. Many people run the 2500+ cpu's at
11x200 for a 3200+. BTW, if your MB or bios has a setting for PCI divider,
it needs to be 5, usually shown as 5:2:1, 5 bring the pci diver, 2 being
the agp speed of 66 (2 x pci), and 1 being to set the ram bus at 1 x FSB
clock.

Ben Pope

Bradley Moser wrote:
> Last weekend i went out and bought a XP 2500 AMD CPU and got it home
> thinking it would work in my motherboard.
>
> My older motherboard only goes up to 266 bus speed.
> So I went back and bought anAsus A7V8X motherboard, its a cheap board. But
> its all I need.
>
> Before I take everything out and take it back for them to check it,
> When I boot up my computer it said that its a 1100 XP.
>
> The CPU was brand new in AMD plastic sealed case.
> could the CPU to miss marked.
>
> The motherboard only have 5 dip switches to change the CPU frequency.
> I tried to change it and my computer will not boot up.
> I also bought a 256 meg of ram 2700.

You need to change the FSB from 100MHz to 166MHz and ensure that the memory
ratio is 1:1

Ben

Bradley Moser

Ok I will try it,
I have been having choppy video and mp3 play back,
Thanks

"Ben Pope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bradley Moser wrote:
> > Last weekend i went out and bought a XP 2500 AMD CPU and got it home
> > thinking it would work in my motherboard.
> >
> > My older motherboard only goes up to 266 bus speed.
> > So I went back and bought anAsus A7V8X motherboard, its a cheap board.

But
> > its all I need.
> >
> > Before I take everything out and take it back for them to check it,
> > When I boot up my computer it said that its a 1100 XP.
> >
> > The CPU was brand new in AMD plastic sealed case.
> > could the CPU to miss marked.
> >
> > The motherboard only have 5 dip switches to change the CPU frequency.
> > I tried to change it and my computer will not boot up.
> > I also bought a 256 meg of ram 2700.

> You need to change the FSB from 100MHz to 166MHz and ensure that the

memory
> ratio is 1:1
>
> Ben
> --

Bradley Moser

Ok, I changed it.
It still shows 1100 XP CPU.
The memory is only one stick 256.

I had a AMD 800 and this system seems to be running the same speed.

I can not see that is is any faster.

Thank Brad

"Bradley Moser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:****c.11371$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last weekend i went out and bought a XP 2500 AMD CPU and got it home
> thinking it would work in my motherboard.
>
> My older motherboard only goes up to 266 bus speed.
> So I went back and bought anAsus A7V8X motherboard, its a cheap board. But
> its all I need.
>
> Before I take everything out and take it back for them to check it,
> When I boot up my computer it said that its a 1100 XP.
>
> The CPU was brand new in AMD plastic sealed case.
> could the CPU to miss marked.
>
> The motherboard only have 5 dip switches to change the CPU frequency.
> I tried to change it and my computer will not boot up.
> I also bought a 256 meg of ram 2700.
>
> Any help.
> Thank you
> Brad

Ben Pope

Bradley Moser wrote:
> Ok, I changed it.
> It still shows 1100 XP CPU.

Then you only *think* you changed it. It's still 11*100MHz.

How did you "change" it?

Ben

Bradley Moser

This board board is the cheap model.
I only has 5 dip switches to change the Freq
That is it.
I mite buy a new motherboard

"Ben Pope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bradley Moser wrote:
> > Ok, I changed it.
> > It still shows 1100 XP CPU.

> Then you only *think* you changed it. It's still 11*100MHz.
>
> How did you "change" it?
>
> Ben
> --

Wes Newell

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:13:50 +0000, Bradley Moser wrote:

> This board board is the cheap model.
> I only has 5 dip switches to change the Freq
> That is it.

Check the manual and bios. You can set it all from the bios. Multiplier,
FSB, vcore, etc. Advanced section of bios.

> "Ben Pope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bradley Moser wrote:
>> > Ok, I changed it.
>> > It still shows 1100 XP CPU.

>> Then you only *think* you changed it. It's still 11*100MHz.
>>
>> How did you "change" it?
>>
>> Ben
>> --
>> A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
>> Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
>> I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

Ben Pope

Bradley Moser wrote:
> This board board is the cheap model.
> I only has 5 dip switches to change the Freq
> That is it.
> I mite buy a new motherboard

5 dip switches is 32 options. Which would seem a bit excessive for FSB
alone.

You can usually change the FSB in the BIOS.

Ben

rstlne

"Ben Pope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bradley Moser wrote:
> > This board board is the cheap model.
> > I only has 5 dip switches to change the Freq
> > That is it.
> > I mite buy a new motherboard

> 5 dip switches is 32 options. Which would seem a bit excessive for FSB
> alone.
>
> You can usually change the FSB in the BIOS.
>
> Ben
> --

Just let him go and buy new kit..
He'll make someone on ebay happy