Asus A8V-E DELUXE - SATA1 connector runs very slow.

groupie

I recently built a system which included an Asus A8V-E DELUXE mobo and
a Maxtor 250G S-ATA drive with 16Meg cache (6B250S0)hard drive. You can
get more information about my system at
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress...CGMW4UQBQS7X86.

When I had the S-ATA drive connected to the SATA1 connector on the
board (in IDE mode - NOT RAID) the disk rate that I was experiencing
was very slow at 4 MB/sec. When I switched it over to the SATA2
connector, my system performed much better at 50 MB/sec.

I am very happy with the performance that I now get out of this system.
However if I ever decide to add a second S-ATA drive as RAID 0 or
otherwise I assume that it will run slow again (this board only
supports 2).

Is there a setting that I forgot to set? Is the mobo faulty?

I would appreciate any input I get.

Thanks
W.

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"groupie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently built a system which included an Asus A8V-E DELUXE mobo and
> a Maxtor 250G S-ATA drive with 16Meg cache (6B250S0)hard drive. You can
> get more information about my system at
> http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress...CGMW4UQBQS7X86.
>
> When I had the S-ATA drive connected to the SATA1 connector on the
> board (in IDE mode - NOT RAID) the disk rate that I was experiencing
> was very slow at 4 MB/sec. When I switched it over to the SATA2
> connector, my system performed much better at 50 MB/sec.
>
> I am very happy with the performance that I now get out of this system.
> However if I ever decide to add a second S-ATA drive as RAID 0 or
> otherwise I assume that it will run slow again (this board only
> supports 2).
>
> Is there a setting that I forgot to set? Is the mobo faulty?
>
> I would appreciate any input I get.
>
> Thanks
> W.

All I can offer is a hint. 4MB/sec corresponds to PIO mode
transfer. The 50MB/sec corresponds to a DMA mode. You will
have to figure out why the drive operated in PIO mode, while
connected to SATA1.

A further hint, is possibly a couple of Windows OS will
automatically "downshift" the transfer rate from a disk,
if errors are being detected during read or write operations.
It could be that Windows saw enough errors coming from that
drive (say due to a loose or flaky SATA cable or disk interface),
that it has turned the transfer mode all the way down to PIO.

Check out the "workaround" here:

HTH,
Paul

groupie

I upgrated the chipset driver and the IDE, RAID and SATA driver which I
downloaded from the Via website. This fixed the problem.

groupie

FIXED! - Installed latest chipset driver and RAID, IDE and SATA driver
from Via website and this fixed the problem.

W.

Pollux

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> FIXED! - Installed latest chipset driver and RAID, IDE and SATA driver
> from Via website and this fixed the problem.
>
> W.

I'm seeing the same problem as you. I installed the Hyperion drivers,
but it still is slow. Did you install anything else?

Re: Can you upgrade to Windows XP Tablet PC Edition?--anything that runs on XP also runs on XPtablet? Derek LaZard Tablet PC 7 05-17-2004 08:19 PM
Barton 2500 & AN7 very very very slow . . . . .. K.Leth Abit 7 02-29-2004 09:38 AM
SATA1 PROBLEM ON MAX 3 VIC Abit 9 11-25-2003 04:43 PM
Very, very, very CHEAP AMD system - Suggestions. . Wayne Youngman AMD Overclocking 17 08-04-2003 10:50 AM
IC7-G and Western Digital HD on SATA1/2 Harry Card Abit 4 07-21-2003 12:58 AM