Asus A8v-mx motherboard with Samsung HD502HJ hard disk

Andrew

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me why I should be having any trouble with the above
combination:
the user guide says the motherboard supports ultraDMA up to 133
(udma06).

I have no trouble with 20Gb and 120Gb hard disks on this motherboard,
but when I install a Samsung HD502HJ on SATA1, Windows XP makes the
new hard drive instantly disconnect and disappear from Windows.

I have windows XP professional with SP2. The same problem occurs on
any of the SATA connectors. The hard disk has the jumper set to
Master.
Could someone please list the possible reasons for not working please?

Thanks! Andrew

Paul

Andrew wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can someone tell me why I should be having any trouble with the above
> combination:
> the user guide says the motherboard supports ultraDMA up to 133
> (udma06).
>
> I have no trouble with 20Gb and 120Gb hard disks on this motherboard,
> but when I install a Samsung HD502HJ on SATA1, Windows XP makes the
> new hard drive instantly disconnect and disappear from Windows.
>
> I have windows XP professional with SP2. The same problem occurs on
> any of the SATA connectors. The hard disk has the jumper set to
> Master.
> Could someone please list the possible reasons for not working please?
>
> Thanks! Andrew

Older VIA chipsets, don't support SATA II drives properly. When that happens,
you either look for a "Force150" jumper on the drive, or you're forced to
make the configuration change using software. And to use the software method,
you need SATA II compatible hardware (like an add-in SATA card with proper
SATA II interface, or just connect the drive to a different computer and
fix it there).

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/m...de_sata_en.pdf

"Important Note:

Motherboards and host controllers equipped with VIA, VT8237, VT8237R,
VT6420, VT6421L, SIS760, and SIS964 do not support SATA 300 transfer speeds.

For Maxtor SATA 300 drives to function properly on the VIA chipsets, the
Force 150 jumper must be used. For more information about your system chipset,
please refer to the motherboard or host controller manufacturer’s documentation
or web site.

On Hitachi drives, to switch to SATA I, you need Drive Feature Tool.

I don't know what Samsung uses, but it will either be a hardware method (jumper)
or software method (ATA command set).

My Seagate drives, come with four jumper pins, and room for up to two jumpers.
And being OEM drive purchases, they don't come with jumpers. The jumpers are
"2mm" size, and I just discovered the other day, I have a bag of ten of them
that came with some enclosure years ago. Pretty lucky, as the odds of
finding those jumpers locally is pretty poor. Many other jumper plugs
with be the 0.1 inch variety, which are just slightly larger, and will bend
the pins on the jumper block (not good). You really want to insert a
2mm jumper, for best results.

I have a motherboard with VIA 8237S and the S means the SATA was fixed. And
it has no problem with SATA I or SATA II drives. Apparently, one other VIA
peripheral chip, was redesigned and includes the same fix. But older
motherboards with be stuck with this issue.

You'll notice, that list of affected chipsets isn't infinitely long. There
are plenty of other SATA I chipsets, that don't malfunction in the presence
of a SATA II disk drive. So there is a notion of backward compatibility - it
just happened to fail with the VIA stuff.

Paul

Foke

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 05:23:57 -0700 (PDT), Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have windows XP professional with SP2.

SP3 fixes a bunch of stuff. Not that that's your problem, but it would be
a good idea to move to SP3.