What Asus Motherboard for video editing workstation?

ulixi@emmail.it

Hi, a friend of mine have just told me to buy an ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
for my video editing. I have just noticed it costs much. My budget for
all workstation is around 2.000 euro.
In your opinion is there another Asus motherboard good like ASUS
SABERTOOTH X58? If you tell me ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 is the best option
for me, I will buy it.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Homer Jay Simpson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, a friend of mine have just told me to buy an ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
> for my video editing. I have just noticed it costs much. My budget for
> all workstation is around 2.000 euro.
> In your opinion is there another Asus motherboard good like ASUS
> SABERTOOTH X58? If you tell me ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 is the best option
> for me, I will buy it.
> Thanks for your suggestions.

I think the SABERTOOTH X58 is ASUS' cheapest Intel X58 Express Chipset
motherboard. The next cheapest model is the P6X58D-E and it costs $35 U.S.
(~?27.13) more.

ulixi@emmail.it

>I think the SABERTOOTH X58 is ASUS' cheapest Intel X58 Express Chipset
>motherboard. The next cheapest model is the P6X58D-E and it costs $35 U.S.
>(~?27.13) more.

Do they work with Intel i7 2600 Box Sandy Bridge?
thank yoy

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I think the SABERTOOTH X58 is ASUS' cheapest Intel X58 Express Chipset
>> motherboard. The next cheapest model is the P6X58D-E and it costs $35 U.S.
>> (~?27.13) more.

> Do they work with Intel i7 2600 Box Sandy Bridge?
> thank yoy

Sandy Bridge is LGA1155 socket, so does not fit in
an LGA1366 motherboard. Intel uses many sockets
now. LGA1155 is brand new, and such motherboards
are just arriving. Sabertooth X58 is LGA1366 and
is older.

You can use the CPU support table, select CPU and
find the 2600 in there.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppor...Language=en-us

Core i7-2600 (3.4G,L3:8M,iGPU,4C,HT,rev.D2)

Motherboard Since PCB Since BIOS Note

Maximus IV Extreme
P8H67
P8H67-M
P8H67-M EVO
P8H67-M PRO
P8H67-V
P8P67
P8P67 DELUXE
P8P67 EVO
P8P67 LE
P8P67 PRO
P8P67-M
P8P67-M PRO
Sabertooth P67

The Newegg site lists 54 different models of motherboards
with LGA1155 sockets, ranging in price from $79 to $320. They
probably went on sale last week.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-681-Z03?$S640W$

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-681-Z02?$S640W$

Paul

ulixi@emmail.it

Thanks a ot for your suggestion. A last question please:
If I will buy an i7 2600k, can I buy a cheap videocard or is ir better
to buy a videocard at least of 200 euro?
thanks again

> Maximus IV Extreme
> P8H67
> P8H67-M
> P8H67-M EVO
> P8H67-M PRO
> P8H67-V
> P8P67
> P8P67 DELUXE
> P8P67 EVO
> P8P67 LE
> P8P67 PRO
> P8P67-M
> P8P67-M PRO
> Sabertooth P67
>
>The Newegg site lists 54 different models of motherboards
>with LGA1155 sockets, ranging in price from $79 to $320. They
>probably went on sale last week.
>
>http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-681-Z03?$S640W$
>
>http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-681-Z02?$S640W$
>
> Paul

Clas Mehus

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:13:15 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks a ot for your suggestion. A last question please:
>If I will buy an i7 2600k, can I buy a cheap videocard or is ir better
>to buy a videocard at least of 200 euro?
>thanks again

An idea could be to buy one of the P8P67-board with HyperDuo. So far,
I love this feature. Makes a setup where you put together a SSD and a
standard HDD, and it get optimized so that files you want fast is on
the SSD, but you don't have to worry about diskspace...

If you don't use the pc for games of video editing software that use
the videoboard for acceleration (e.g. in some, like Premiere Pro, you
can encode h.264 faster thorugh the videocard) you don't need a
expensive videoboard.

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar nšr han dŲr vinner..."

ulixi@emmail.it

>An idea could be to buy one of the P8P67-board with HyperDuo. So far,
>I love this feature. Makes a setup where you put together a SSD and a
>standard HDD, and it get optimized so that files you want fast is on
>the SSD, but you don't have to worry about diskspace...

I'm sorry but I take an interest for it but I don't understand fine.
I'd like to understand.... I will use a SSD for OS, 2 hardisks RAD0
for video editing and 2 hardisks RAD0 for exporting . Can I get
advantage using P8P67-board with HyperDuo?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks a ot for your suggestion. A last question please:
> If I will buy an i7 2600k, can I buy a cheap videocard or is ir better
> to buy a videocard at least of 200 euro?
> thanks again

A video card of 200 euro, would be for playing 3D games. Some
video cards and video editing suites do rendering with the
GPU on the video card, which would be a reason for wanting
a video card. But otherwise, the built-in graphics might be fine.

The 2600K has integrated graphics, if you want to use them.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...0K&spec-codes=

You have to check the chipset and motherboard, to see if
the integrated graphics support is there as well.

The H67 on the left here, has support for built-in video.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...w/chipsets.jpg

but there will also be a graphics card slot on the motherboard.

This is an example of an H67 motherboard, and it has the
connectors on it, for your computer monitor. Those connectors
take up space on the backplate, which could be used for other
things.

The only reason for getting an H67 motherboard, as near as I
can tell, is for this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...-2100-tested/9

"Thereís just one hangup to all of this Quick Sync greatness:
it only works if the processorís GPU is enabled. In other
words, on a desktop with a single monitor connected to a
discrete GPU, you canít use Quick Sync."

Quick Sync is a gimmick, for transcoding video. It is pretty fast,
but it also has limitations. It uses "fixed function" blocks inside
the Sandy Bridge processor, so it may not accelerate the kind of
video you have. It would be better to depend on the processor
for rendering video, because it will always work, and has the
best potential for quality.

If you're not even remotely interested in the gimmick properties
(Quick Sync video transcoder) of your new processor, you can also
get a P67 motherboard. Since there are no graphics connectors in
the I/O plate area, there is more room for other connector
types.

From left to right on that one:

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-464-Z02?$S640W$

(2) USB2 (i.e. use one of them for your mouse)
PS/2 keyboard connector

SPDIF TOSLINK optical audio connection
SPDIF copper coaxial audio connection

(2) Firewire 1394a connectors (one 4 pin, one 6 pin)
(2) USB2
(2) ESATAp connectors, combining both ESATA, power, and USB signals.
(ESATAp is for bus powering ESATA drives, a relatively new standard)
(4) USB3 ports (presumably connected to two NEC USB3 chips)
(1) RJ45 for Ethernet, Gigabit speed
(6) HDaudio analog audio signals

By putting two ESATA on the back plate, that leaves only four SATA connectors
left on the motherboard surface. The Southbridge usually has a total of
six SATA ports, and I guess in this case, two of those are driving the ESATA
port.

What you buy, really depends on your usage pattern. If you like to connect
different ESATA drives all the time, then you'll prefer more ESATA connectors
on the back of the computer.

That motherboard also has two video card slots (running at x8 each, when
both are in usage). And a third PCI Express slot is wired with x4 lanes,
and that would be suitable for a PCI Express RAID card. There are also
a couple PCI slots on that one, which allows an older Audigy sound card
to be used if you want.

You have to examine the slot mix carefully, to make sure all your cards
can physically fit, when selecting a motherboard.

HTH,
Paul

ulixi@emmail.it

I have noticed you know very fine the matter. I'm an inexperienced guy
compared to you.
Can you give me other your suggestions please?
I'd like to assemble a new workstation with i72600k Sandy Bridge.
My video editing will be with AVCHD files (heavy).
I post my config and I hope you can verify it:

1) I'd like a light overlocking (if it is useful)
2) On motherboard I have to add two Canopus cards:
Canopus NX PCI Express and expansion Kit
3) One SSD INTEL X25-M POSTVILLE 80GB for OS, 2 WD CAVIAR BLACK 1TB
CAD. SATA 3 iwith RAID0 for videoediting and 2 hard disk iwith RAID0
for export video files.

Could you seggest the right components so that I will not spend waste
of money, please?
Thanks a lot!!

> [...]
>left on the motherboard surface. The Southbridge usually has a total of
>six SATA ports, and I guess in this case, two of those are driving the ESATA
>port.
>
>What you buy, really depends on your usage pattern. If you like to connect
>different ESATA drives all the time, then you'll prefer more ESATA connectors
>on the back of the computer.
>
>That motherboard also has two video card slots (running at x8 each, when
>both are in usage). And a third PCI Express slot is wired with x4 lanes,
>and that would be suitable for a PCI Express RAID card. There are also
>a couple PCI slots on that one, which allows an older Audigy sound card
>to be used if you want.
>
>You have to examine the slot mix carefully, to make sure all your cards
>can physically fit, when selecting a motherboard.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have noticed you know very fine the matter. I'm an inexperienced guy
> compared to you.
> Can you give me other your suggestions please?
> I'd like to assemble a new workstation with i72600k Sandy Bridge.
> My video editing will be with AVCHD files (heavy).
> I post my config and I hope you can verify it:
>
> 1) I'd like a light overlocking (if it is useful)
> 2) On motherboard I have to add two Canopus cards:
> Canopus NX PCI Express and expansion Kit
> 3) One SSD INTEL X25-M POSTVILLE 80GB for OS, 2 WD CAVIAR BLACK 1TB
> CAD. SATA 3 iwith RAID0 for videoediting and 2 hard disk iwith RAID0
> for export video files.
>
> Could you seggest the right components so that I will not spend waste
> of money, please?
> Thanks a lot!!

Your Canopus NX might need a couple PCI Express x1 slots. The main
card is a bit thick, but looks like it fits in a single slot width.

http://www.adorama.com/images/Large/VDCAEMDNBV5_1.jpg

As for slot placement, say we started with a P67 board (Asus P8P67 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel P67)
I put the Canopus cards relatively near each other, because I don't know
how long the I/O cable is between them. The video card was placed in the
second slot, to make it easier to cool. A high end card, if you
own one some day, will need room. (I didn't pick a video card for
you, in this posting. You may even be able to reuse the PCI Express
video card you already own.)

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-679-Z03?$S640W$

Canopux NX (master card, x1 slot, sandwich card design)

Video card x16 connector (empty)

Canopus NX I/O card (x1 slot)

PCI slot - use for sound card if you want to reuse your old card

Video card x16 connector, runs at x8, card may be double slot in thickness

PCI slot (empty, due to video card width)

PCI Express slot x4 wiring (empty, may not be a usable slot due to the video card)

*******

P67 and H67 chips have two SATA III ports and four SATA II ports.
To gain additional ports, they have to add chips to the motherboard.

The P8P67 Deluxe has a total of ten ports, which means four
of the ports come from two additional chips.

SATA III (Marvell 9128) \____ Empty for now, not necessary for a hard drive
SATA III (Marvell 9128) / These are internal ports.

SATA III ---- SSD INTEL X25-M POSTVILLE 80GB for OS
SATA III ---- (Unused, suitable for SSD)
SATA II ---- \___ Pair of WD Caviar black 1TB in RAID 0
SATA II ---- / Should run at full rate
SATA II ---- (Unused)
SATA II ---- (Unused)

(ESATA on I/O plate) JMB362 chip \___ ESATA external drives
(ESATA on I/O plate) JMB362 chip / ESATA external drives

*******

The P8P67 Deluxe comes with a front mounted USB3 tray, so you can
have USB3 connectors on the front of the computer. But there is
no provision for making ESATA on the front too. ESATA is only on the
rear of the computer.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-679-Z05?$S640W$

*******

I'm just learning about Sandy Bridge today, so I don't know very much
about it. That's why I wanted _you_ to select the motherboard :-)

The Anandtech article, says setting up a system with "Quick Sync",
interferes with overclocking. Each platform (H67 versus P67), differs
in what it can give you. H67 is part of built-in graphics support, and
will do the "Quick Sync" transcoding of video (because the Intel built-in
GPU will be turned on). But P67 allows whatever limited overclocking
options are available (overclocking by setting multiplier). Since you're
a "video guy", if you wish to experiment with the "Quick Sync" marketing
gimmick, then you'll buy an H67 motherboard. But the H67 motherboards,
tend to be poorly outfitted with I/O connectors and slots. That is why,
in the example motherboard above, I selected a P67 motherboard,
since it has better connections for the hard drives.

In other words, it is *hard* to buy an ideal motherboard. At this point,
I am favoring P67 based motherboards for you, because they have the
interconnect you need. The QuickSync would be fun to play with,
for video transcoding, but if you bought an H67 based motherboard,
it would not be as good a motherboard for your "main video editing
workstation".

This is about the best H67 I could find, but it only has one ESATA
on the back. This would do QuickSync video transcoding, has room
for your Canopus, and offers the following storage ports. Storage
is controlled by the Southbridge, and this board has no added
chips for storage.

"GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX"

SATA III ---- SSD INTEL X25-M POSTVILLE 80GB for OS
SATA III ---- (Unused)
SATA II ---- \___ Pair of WD Caviar black 1TB in RAID 0
SATA II ---- / Should run at full rate
SATA II ---- (Unused)

ESATA II ---- On the back, for a single drive.

One reason I could not review more Asus motherboards as prospective
purchases, is the PDF manuals are not available for download!!!
The EVO board looked interesting, but there was no manual, and
I couldn't even find labels for all the ports. The thing is,
Asus would have sent the manuals to the printer, to be printed
into booklets, weeks ago. There is NO excuse for the manual
to be missing. It was finished a long time ago.

HTH,
Paul