asus p5ld2-x m/board

davej

The manual says board has cpu multiplier and cpu lock free facility. In bios
the cpu adjusts are all greyed out ? How can I change fsb? tia , dave

Paul

davej wrote:
> The manual says board has cpu multiplier and cpu lock free facility. In bios
> the cpu adjusts are all greyed out ? How can I change fsb? tia , dave

There are two mechanisms you can use for overclocking. Multiplier
adjustment, and input clock increase. Clock times multiplier
gives core clock rate: i.e. 200Mhz x 15 = 3GHz.

In the manual, I don't see an option in the BIOS to change the
CPU frequency. So there is no way to change the input clock,
at the BIOS level.

For multiplier, there are a couple situations.

1) ES (engineering sample) processors, or perhaps some of the
extreme edition processors, have unlocked multipliers. That
allows a more arbitrary setting of the multiplier. Neither
of those processor types is cheap, or readily available.
Most people can only afford the more economical, locked
processors. ES chips should really only be given to
engineers who are developing computer products, and
should not be in general circulation.

2) On something like a regular P4 processor, the multiplier is
locked.

So, then, what is "lock free" ?

The P4 processors have a couple multiplier values. They have
a "safe" value of 14x, and then they have their "normal"
multiplier.

Let's take an example of a 3.0GHz P4 with FSB800. The FSB is
quad pumped, and the real clock is 200MHz. If we divide
3000 / 200 = 15x. The "normal" multiplier of that processor,
is 15x. The normal input clock is 200MHz, it gets multiplied
by 15, to give 3.0GHz core clock speed.

Now, the Vcore regulator on the motherboard, can be designed
for a couple power levels. If the motherboard maker wants to
save a few bucks, they design for the lower level. Otherwise,
they design for the higher level.

Say a user plugs a high power P4 processor, into a motherboard
that only supports low power processors. What they decided to
do, is have the option of dropping the multiplier to 14x. On
the 3GHz processor, this gives a slight power reduction.

On a 3.6GHz processor, the multiplier difference would be a bit
bigger. The multiplier would drop from 18x to 14x.

There is a bit in the P4 processor, called "PRB", and it signals
the processor type to the BIOS. Based on reading the PRB, a
motherboard with a weak Vcore regulator, would select the
"safe" multiplier, thus avoiding damage to the processor.
That was the design intent of this feature, something along
those lines:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/09/...ial/page3.html

The feature was invented, to protect a motherboard with a
weak Vcore regulator design. But the motherboard companies
latched onto the two multiplier values, and pretended this
was a feature they discovered through research in the lab.
The idea is, by dropping the multiplier, an overclocker could
raise the input clock, and end up with overclocked RAM. So
the idea encourages extra memory bandwidth (but doesn't help
if you are looking for heroic core clock speeds).

When doesn't the feature work ?

If you buy a 2.8GHz/FSB800 processor, the "normal" multiplier
is 14x, the same as the "safe" value of 14x would be. In this
case, no power is saved, and there really isn't an option. For
that processor, the BIOS would be greyed out.

If a processor doesn't support that kind of feature, then that
would be another reason to grey out the BIOS. I think a PRB=1
processor, is the one that supports the two multiplier values.
Perhaps a 3.4GHz or a 3.6GHz processor, would be a good
candidate for "Lock Free", as those are pretty hot processors,
and might have PRB=1 set inside them.

"Lock Free" does not help you achieve a higher core speed. It
is intended to improve memory bandwidth, and must be used
in conjunction with adjusting the input clock to the CPU,
to higher values. Since, on your board, I don't even see a
BIOS entry that allows the CPU clock to be adjusted, the
"Lock Free" is pointless. A cruel joke if you will.

What other ways can you overclock ?

1) BSEL modding. If you were to adjust the BSEL code, to a
higher value, then the clock generator may be tricked into
giving out a higher clock. This is not a very practical
option on older motherboards, as BSEL is a two bit code
(two pins on the bottom of the processor), and not all
code points might be supported by the clockgen
chip. I believe it is possible that some of the more
recent processors have a 3 bit BSEL, and perhaps more
options (but I'd have to look that up and verify it).
BSEL modding gives such large jumps in frequency, to be
a pretty poor method of searching for a stable overclock.
Some of the recent Core2 processors, have pretty large
overclocking ranges, which is why for some of those, you
can fool around with BSEL.

2) Using an overclocking program in Windows. The "clockgen"
program from www.cpuid.com is a popular example. But that
program has support for very few pieces of hardware, as each
case must be custom programmed. Thus, only certain motherboards
are handled, and the author of that program doesn't have all
day to sit around adding thousands of motherboards to the
supported list. There is a picture of the control panel here.

http://www.ixbt.com/short/2k6_soft/clockgen.png

The clockgen web page is currently not working, so you can see
what clock generator chips are supported, by looking at an
archived copy of the web site.

http://web.archive.org/web/200704061...m/clockgen.php

Bottom line ? If you want an overclocking motherboard,
make sure it has the necessary BIOS settings first, before you
buy it. Motherboards are divided into catagories, according to
market and purpose. The cheapest ones are intended to be used in
business machines (office computers), where overclocking is not
an option. Thus, not one additional cent of expense is put into
making them overclockable. If you buy one of those motherboards,
then you might as well have bought yourself a Dell :-(

If I missed something, and there really is a setting to change
the input clock to the processor, then you'll be overclocking
in no time. If, as the manual shows, there is no setting, then
you're stuck.

Paul

davej

Thanks , Paul, I now know how I stand- I have e2180 -is bsel applicable?
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fhcshl$c3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> what clock generator chips are supported, by looking at an
> archived copy of the web site.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/200704061...m/clockgen.php
>
> Bottom line ? If you want an overclocking motherboard,
> make sure it has the necessary BIOS settings first, before you
> buy it. Motherboards are divided into catagories, according to
> market and purpose. The cheapest ones are intended to be used in
> business machines (office computers), where overclocking is not
> an option. Thus, not one additional cent of expense is put into
> making them overclockable. If you buy one of those motherboards,
> then you might as well have bought yourself a Dell :-(
>
> If I missed something, and there really is a setting to change
> the input clock to the processor, then you'll be overclocking
> in no time. If, as the manual shows, there is no setting, then

Paul

davej wrote:

> Thanks , Paul, I now know how I stand- I have e2180 -is bsel applicable?

This is a table from a 6000 series datasheet. They only define new code
points, as they are needed, so you need to look at more than one datasheet,
to get some idea as to how they're set up.

BSEL[2:0] Frequency Table for BCLK[1:0]
BSEL2 BSEL1 BSEL0 FSB Frequency
L L L 266 MHz <--- Overclock via this entry
L L H RESERVED
L H H RESERVED
L H L 200 MHz <--- Code used by your processor
H H L RESERVED
H H H RESERVED
H L H RESERVED
H L L 333 MHz

E6xxx series datasheet (contains the above table). One bit change gives a
33% overclock of both core and memory.

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...s/31327807.pdf

E2xxx series datasheet shows the single entry for your processor, in Table 16.

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...s/31698103.pdf

The clock generator chip also plays a part in this. The clock generator
may not produce intelligent choices for all the BSEL values. To verify
that, you'd want to look for the clock generator chip, and find a datasheet
for it. Usually pictures on the Internet are not clear enough, for me to
figure out what chip is being used.

You may have to look around a bit, to find advice on how best to do a
BSEL mod. I haven't done one.

The socket is one place, and on the pins of the clock generator
is a second point of access. Apparently, BSEL outputs on the processor,
use CMOS rail to rail swing, between VTT (1.2V) and GND. In your case,
you'd be grounding BSEL1, to make a logic 0 and cause clock = 266Mhz
(FSB1066). The chipset would have to be FSB1066 capable, for this to be
workable. I might be tempted to do this around the clock generator
chip, as things may be easier to get at there.

Grounding a pin, which is totem-pole and not open collector, is probably
not the best thing for the driver inside the processor. Traditionally,
CMOS outputs have current limited, meaning when grounded, the current
reaches some finite value. But what Intel is using there, is anyone's guess.
IOS is not specified in the "CMOS Signal Group DC Specifications", IOS
being the short circuit current. With the older CMOS devices, you could
short those indefinitely, as the current only rose to 10mA or so. But the
tech inside the Intel processor, is many generations removed from my
old recollections :-)

Try an overclocker site for more advice. I don't want to be responsible
for damaging your processor. And use the pinout diagram, in the datasheet,
to verify and double check the advice you're getting. (Remember to also
check for mirror images and correct views, when looking at those diagrams!)
A single connection from BSEL1 to GND should be enough for the job.
Connecting contact H30 to L30, should connect BSEL1 to VSS (GND).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=134939

Have fun,
Paul

davej

THANKS so much for quick and informative reply. Dave.
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fhemd7$hs2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> guess.
> IOS is not specified in the "CMOS Signal Group DC Specifications", IOS
> being the short circuit current. With the older CMOS devices, you could
> short those indefinitely, as the current only rose to 10mA or so. But the
> tech inside the Intel processor, is many generations removed from my
> old recollections :-)
>
> Try an overclocker site for more advice. I don't want to be responsible
> for damaging your processor. And use the pinout diagram, in the datasheet,
> to verify and double check the advice you're getting. (Remember to also
> check for mirror images and correct views, when looking at those
> diagrams!)
> A single connection from BSEL1 to GND should be enough for the job.
> Connecting contact H30 to L30, should connect BSEL1 to VSS (GND).

Paul

davej wrote:
> THANKS so much for quick and informative reply. Dave.

Don't forget to turn down the memory setting a bit, before
you plug in your BSEL mod. If the processor clock is pushed
from 200 to 266, that is a 33% overclock.

You only have two settings on the board for memory speed,
so you'll need to try the slowest speed. Try the DDR2-400
setting, which with your 33% overclock, becomes DDR2-533.

Set "Configure DRAM Timing By SPD" to [Disabled]. The manual
timing options should appear. Set the first four of them
to 5-5-5-15, or whatever the RAM is rated at.

The whole idea of settings the timings, is so that, when
the new overclock is applied, the memory conditions end
up being the same as they were before the overclock.

If you need more help with this, either post your current
RAM specs (DDR2-533 5-5-5-15) or post a URL that leads to
an advert for the memory.

You can even turn the memory down, before you overclock the
processor. You can verify the settings with CPUZ (cpuid.com),
to make sure they're correct (i.e. read DDR2-400 5-5-5-15 before
the processor is overclocked, and DDR2-533 5-5-5-15 after
the overclocked processor is plugged in).

As for testing, don't immediately boot into Windows.
The first test to run is memtest86+ from memtest.org.
That test boots from either a floppy or a CDROM.

My second preferred test, is to try booting a Ubuntu or
a Knoppix Linux LiveCD. Those don't need a hard drive to
be present. You can even download Prime95 from mersenne.org
once Knoppix or Ubuntu is running, and do further stability
testing. You cannot corrupt a CD, which is why this test
is safer than booting to Windows.

Once you've done a decent amount of testing, then set your
boot order back, to boot from Windows. The purpose of the
testing, is to avoid registry or install corruption, if
the new conditions for the processor are not stable.

HTH,
Paul