ASUS SABERTOOTH X58: how many blocks of RAM for 12 GB?

ulixi@emmail.it

Hi, ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 and I'd like to put 12GB RAM CORSAIR DDR3
1600 12GB. Can I add 2 block of 6GB RAM (or 4 block of 3GB RAM)? What
is better?
thank you!

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi, ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 and I'd like to put 12GB RAM CORSAIR DDR3
> 1600 12GB. Can I add 2 block of 6GB RAM (or 4 block of 3GB RAM)? What
> is better?
> thank you!

(page 28)
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...rtooth_X58.pdf

A2 A1 B2 B1 C2 C1
-- X -- -- -- -- Single stick
-- -- -- X -- --
-- -- -- -- -- X

-- X -- X -- -- Dual channel

-- X -- X -- X Triple channel
X X X X X X

X X -- X -- X Triple channel, four sticks

You can do 12GB these two ways. This gives triple channel
operation, and the desired capacity. I would use the 4GB
sticks, assuming I could find ones with good performance specs.

-- 4 -- 4 -- 4 Triple channel
2 2 2 2 2 2

The QVL entries don't show the testing of kits of 4GB sticks, but I can
find an entry implying they've tested up to 6x4GB using this A-DATA
unmatched module with Hynix chips. This entry means, they bought the modules
one at a time, until they had tested six of them.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...8_DRAM_QVL.zip

"A-DATA AD3U1333C4G9-B 4GB DS Hynix H5TQ2G83AFRH9C 1333 9-9-9-24"

*******

This would be an example of a 3x4GB DDR3-1600 CAS9 kit. It runs
at 1.5V, and stays within the Intel recommendation of less than 1.65V.
$200 for 12GB.

You can look up the Corsair recommended modules here.

http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore

(For Sabertooth X58 - scroll down to the *bottom* of the page, for the listing.)
http://www2.corsair.com/configurator...spx?id=1820824

Or for that matter, go to the Kingston site and find some memory in
their listings.

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/produ...dr3.asp#triple

(An example of a 12GB kit)
http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/K...9D3K3_12GX.pdf

There will be some variation, in what kind of kits are
available world-wide, so you may have to modify your
choice according to availability. If nobody is selling
kits of 3x4GB where you live, you can also use 6x2GB as
a solution. Just buy two kits of 3x2GB and plug them in.

HTH,
Paul

Foke

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:49:55 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi, ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 and I'd like to put 12GB RAM CORSAIR DDR3
>1600 12GB. Can I add 2 block of 6GB RAM (or 4 block of 3GB RAM)? What
>is better?
>thank you!

I remember when 2GB was a lot of memory, and I don't have to remember too
far back.

I question the need for 12GB of memory unless you're building a server.

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Foke
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:49:55 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Hi, ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 and I'd like to put 12GB RAM CORSAIR DDR3
>>1600 12GB. Can I add 2 block of 6GB RAM (or 4 block of 3GB RAM)? What
>>is better?
>>thank you!

>I remember when 2GB was a lot of memory, and I don't have to remember too
>far back.
>
>I question the need for 12GB of memory unless you're building a server.

Or are a heavy user of VMs. Or work with massive data sets. Or you
have a small penis. Or it's simply the cost effective route.

For me, it's half because I'm a heavy VM user, and half because it's the
most cost effective route. I wanted triple channel, 3x2GB wasn't enough
(my old box had 6GB and did occasionally swap), so 2x sets of 3x2GB was
more practical than other alternatives, especially since it gives me
room to grow.

I'm typically sitting with about 20MB-40MB of "free" (wasted) RAM, the
RAM I'm not using is used by the OS disk cache, so I likely receive at
least some benefit despite only actively using 7GB-8GB or so.

Foke

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:00:45 -0800, DevilsPGD
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Foke
><(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:49:55 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 and I'd like to put 12GB RAM CORSAIR DDR3
>>>1600 12GB. Can I add 2 block of 6GB RAM (or 4 block of 3GB RAM)? What
>>>is better?
>>>thank you!

>>I remember when 2GB was a lot of memory, and I don't have to remember too
>>far back.
>>
>>I question the need for 12GB of memory unless you're building a server.

>Or are a heavy user of VMs. Or work with massive data sets. Or you
>have a small penis. Or it's simply the cost effective route.
>
>For me, it's half because I'm a heavy VM user, and half because it's the
>most cost effective route. I wanted triple channel, 3x2GB wasn't enough
>(my old box had 6GB and did occasionally swap), so 2x sets of 3x2GB was
>more practical than other alternatives, especially since it gives me
>room to grow.
>
>I'm typically sitting with about 20MB-40MB of "free" (wasted) RAM, the
>RAM I'm not using is used by the OS disk cache, so I likely receive at
>least some benefit despite only actively using 7GB-8GB or so.

That makes sense.

And as an added benefit, your e-penis will be massive! :P

Exactly! There's wee, there's not so wee and there's ****ing huge.