Asus Sabretooth M/B on sale at Newegg

Bill Davidsen

Asus has a new "Sabretooth" mobo on sale at the moment, for the intel
920-930-950-980 CPUs. The features I like at the Mil Spec parts, USB3 and SATA
6Gb. I can swing the $$ for the 980, but it makes a nice system with a 950.

http://promotions.newegg.com/ASUS/09...ber/index.html

As usual, no business association, I just decided that a system running a bunch
of VMs could benefit in my use.

Intel Guy

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Asus has a new "Sabretooth" mobo on sale at the moment

Does it come with drivers for XP?

> USB3

USB3 is a steaming crock of marketing **** at the present time.

Bill Davidsen

Intel Guy wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Asus has a new "Sabretooth" mobo on sale at the moment

> Does it come with drivers for XP?

Good question, let you know when mine arrives. I'm a Linux guy, my only XP lives
in a VM I use for testing. But I'll look on the CD and let you know.

>> USB3

> USB3 is a steaming crock of marketing **** at the present time.

I find that a USB3 enclosure which supports SATA-II is a useful backup tool.
Fast enough to backup critical data on newer system with USB3, compatible enough
to connect to last year's systems with USB2. That makes it somewhat more
flexible than eSATA, since virtually none of the older systems came with that
interface. And SSD would be more useful on USB3.

There will be more devices coming in the future, I'm sure. Not the same issue as
the new Intel optical bus, that has no compatibility with older hardware.