Asus V9180 Problems -- Voltage?

Ray

Had a previous go-round with my video card, discussed in this NG in a
thread starting 9/11/05. See http://tinyurl.com/9ptfx Many thanks to
those who helped.

The solution to the previous problem was to uninstall the previous
drivers through Add/Remove Programs before installing new drivers, and
also to follow other tips that I had previously overlooked (e.g., shut
down the antivirus before installing new drivers). Simple but true; I
was overlooking these steps.

Now that the new drivers are installed and running properly, ASUS Smart
Doctor is running properly too, and it is a bearer of bad tidings. It
pops up with the following messages:

VGA chipset fan isn't functioning well.
VGA chipset isn't supplied with stable voltage.
VGA voltage is out of safe bound. Motherboard doesn't supply ...

But it does not do this every day. Yesterday yes, frequently; today
no, not at all.

Any guesses as to the cause? I would guess it's a power supply issue,
but I've got this workhorse Antec TruePower 430. Is the video card
failing, perhaps? Are there diagnostics that would help me sort this
out for sure?

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Ray"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Had a previous go-round with my video card, discussed in this NG in a
> thread starting 9/11/05. See http://tinyurl.com/9ptfx Many thanks to
> those who helped.
>
> The solution to the previous problem was to uninstall the previous
> drivers through Add/Remove Programs before installing new drivers, and
> also to follow other tips that I had previously overlooked (e.g., shut
> down the antivirus before installing new drivers). Simple but true; I
> was overlooking these steps.
>
> Now that the new drivers are installed and running properly, ASUS Smart
> Doctor is running properly too, and it is a bearer of bad tidings. It
> pops up with the following messages:
>
> VGA chipset fan isn't functioning well.
> VGA chipset isn't supplied with stable voltage.
> VGA voltage is out of safe bound. Motherboard doesn't supply ...
>
> But it does not do this every day. Yesterday yes, frequently; today
> no, not at all.
>
> Any guesses as to the cause? I would guess it's a power supply issue,
> but I've got this workhorse Antec TruePower 430. Is the video card
> failing, perhaps? Are there diagnostics that would help me sort this
> out for sure?

SMBUS is a slow serial bus, sometimes used for motherboard
hardware monitoring. There have been cases in the past, where
the use of two monitoring programs at the same time, resulted
in corrupted values being returned from one or both programs.
(The author of MBM5 suggested to Asus, the use of a semaphore
for hardware access, but Asus did not respond to this request
AFAIK.)

I don't really see any pins on a video card, that allow SMBUS
type traffic to pass. I've never been able to figure out how
the busses work for all this sensor stuff, and generally the
authors of programs like this one, don't go out of their
way to explain it. (I suppose I could search in the Linux
world, and see if they have figured out how to do accesses
to the Smart Doctor feature...)

http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=3

I would suggest uninstalling MBM5, Speedfan, and Asus Probe
if you are using them, then try to use just the Smart Doctor
function, and see if your results are more stable.

Paul

Ray

> I would suggest uninstalling MBM5, Speedfan, and Asus Probe
> if you are using them, then try to use just the Smart Doctor
> function, and see if your results are more stable.

Nope. But it was worth trying.