ASUS vs. Asrock

I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:

1. Slower Overall?
2. Slower Video for games?
3. Goes "bad" sooner?
4. Fewer features?
5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?

An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good. But I
am CONCERNED!!
~Q

--
What is said here is for amusement
purposes only. Any opinions expressed

Roger Hamlett

"Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9sKQd.31110$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
> What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
>
> 1. Slower Overall?
> 2. Slower Video for games?
> 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
> 4. Fewer features?
> 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
>
> An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
> But I
> am CONCERNED!!

If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is fitted
for the repair.
Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into the
slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from the
overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and at
times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...

Best Wishes

What is said here is for amusement
purposes only. Any opinions expressed
are promised only to waste space on
your hard disk. ~Q **********
*******************

"Roger Hamlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XXKQd.578$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9sKQd.31110$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
> > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
> >
> > 1. Slower Overall?
> > 2. Slower Video for games?
> > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
> > 4. Fewer features?
> > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
> >
> > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
> > But I
> > am CONCERNED!!

> If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is fitted
> for the repair.
> Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into the
> slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from the
> overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
> 'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
> Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and at
> times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...
>
> Best Wishes

Well, what is the quality of a DELL mother board? Probably they're on the
cheap too. The ASROCK board was replacing the Dell. But I would have been
glad to pay the difference and buy an ASUS. Hopefully I got one of the
ASROCK current boards which is good.
Still though, what do YOU think is bad about their bad boards?
1. Slower Overall?
2. Slower Video for games?
3. Goes "bad" sooner?
4. Fewer features?
5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
Tks.
~Q

Paul

In article <XXKQd.578$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Roger Hamlett"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9sKQd.31110$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
> > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
> >
> > 1. Slower Overall?
> > 2. Slower Video for games?
> > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
> > 4. Fewer features?
> > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
> >
> > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
> > But I
> > am CONCERNED!!

> If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is fitted
> for the repair.
> Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into the
> slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from the
> overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
> 'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
> Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and at
> times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...
>
> Best Wishes

Some people have trouble getting the Asrock BIOS
flasher to work, which may prevent a BIOS upgrade.

Also, if you have a look through the BIOS setup screens,
you may find fewer options in the BIOS, than on an Asus
board. Personally, I like the ability to set FSB, memory
speed, memory timing values, Vdimm, Vcore, manually.
Have a look through the BIOS screens and see how many
of those options you've got on the Asrock. (Asus microATX
boards have vanilla BIOS, but the full sized boards are
usually pretty good.)

A vanilla BIOS is not a problem if the computer is working
and error free. (Test with memtest86 from memtest.org and
also use Prime95 torture test option from mersenne.org, as
two tests of stability and error free operation.) It
is only when a motherboard is screwing up, that BIOS
adjustments come in handy for determining what is broken,
and for setting up a workaround for the problem.

Paul

Roger Hamlett

> "Roger Hamlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XXKQd.578$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:9sKQd.31110$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> >I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
>> > What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
>> >
>> > 1. Slower Overall?
>> > 2. Slower Video for games?
>> > 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
>> > 4. Fewer features?
>> > 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
>> >
>> > An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good.
>> > But I
>> > am CONCERNED!!

>> If you bought the machine, as having an Asus board, demand one is
>> fitted
>> for the repair.
>> Basically, Asrock, was a subsidiary of Asus, 'spun off', to sell into
>> the
>> slightly more 'bargain' part of the markt. The differences vary, from
>> the
>> overall QA, through the parts chosen in some areas etc.. They are a
>> 'cheaper' board. However some of their current boards are quite good.
>> Asrock, have been 'naughty' at times, in trading on the Asus name, and
>> at
>> times, I suspect Asus have regretted generating this competition...
>>
>> Best Wishes
>>

> Well, what is the quality of a DELL mother board? Probably they're on
> the
> cheap too. The ASROCK board was replacing the Dell. But I would have
> been
> glad to pay the difference and buy an ASUS. Hopefully I got one of the
> ASROCK current boards which is good.
> Still though, what do YOU think is bad about their bad boards?
> 1. Slower Overall?
> 2. Slower Video for games?
> 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
> 4. Fewer features?
> 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
> Tks.
> ~Q

As I said, the differences vary. All manufacturers occasionally produce
'poor' boards, but the probability rises with cheaper boards, that you
will see timing errors with some add on cards, BIOS fixes will be harder
to get (some of the Asrock boards have a problem with the BIOS flasher
itself, making updates impossible), and the actual component quality will
be lower, giving an increased risk of failure.
Dell stuff also varies, with the cheapest machines, really built 'down' to
a price, while the more expensive kit does have some very nice parts...

Best Wishes

DaveW

Asrock as a manufacturer uses lower quality parts than ASUS, because they
charge far less for their boards. It is a discount brand.

--
DaveW

"Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9sKQd.31110$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I have been told that "Asrock" is an inferior spin off of ASUS.
> What is wrong with Asrock compared to ASUS?:
>
> 1. Slower Overall?
> 2. Slower Video for games?
> 3. Goes "bad" sooner?
> 4. Fewer features?
> 5. Unreliable -intermittant crashes?
>
> An ASROCK was put in my machine when it was repaired. So far so good. But
> am CONCERNED!!
> ~Q
>

> --
> What is said here is for amusement
> purposes only. Any opinions expressed
> are promised only to waste space on
> your hard disk. ~Q **********
> *******************

rOy cOOrne

Paul wrote:

> Some people have trouble getting the Asrock BIOS
> flasher to work, which may prevent a BIOS upgrade.

I have the ASRock K8S8X (1.03) board for the Athlon 64 socket 754, and
I flashed the BIOS from v. 1.6 via 1.8 to 1.9 - no problem at all.
(I always flash from a boot disk.)
I have to admit that this board was not cheap...

BTW - I found all the drivers necessary for WindowsXP 64-Bit-Edition
on a S-ATA hard disk:-)

rOy

OK.
Thanks to all who responded.