Asus X51R laptop frequently won't boot

Salvador Freemanson

Hi guys

This laptop will only boot if the battery has been removed and the power
disconected for a couple of days. Once it's booted, it seems to work OK.
But if I switch it off, I have to put it asside again for a couple of days.
When it's not booting, it seems to go straight into some kind of sleep
mode. I've also tried putting a bootable CD and bootable USB key, but no
joy. A couple of the lights flash for a second or two, then it just
stops. No display on the screen. I've also tried replacing the RAM (that
was before I found out that it would boot again if I left it asside),
but of course that made no difference.

I'm completely lost for ideas.

BillW50

In news:4e6a755b$0$26707$(E-Mail Removed),
Salvador Freemanson <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi guys
>
> This laptop will only boot if the battery has been removed and the
> power disconected for a couple of days. Once it's booted, it seems to
> work OK. But if I switch it off, I have to put it asside again for a
> couple of days. When it's not booting, it seems to go straight into
> some kind of sleep mode. I've also tried putting a bootable CD and
> bootable USB key, but no joy. A couple of the lights flash for a
> second or two, then it just stops. No display on the screen. I've also
> tried replacing the RAM
> (that was before I found out that it would boot again if I left it
> asside), but of course that made no difference.
>
> I'm completely lost for ideas.

Try unplugging it and remove the battery and then hold the power button
down for at least 10 seconds. This performs a reset. If that doesn't
work I would try the following in any order:

- BIOS Setting, restore to factory (aka default) setting.

- Remove hard drive, optical drive, all external connections like USB
devices, etc. The idea here is one of them maybe drawing too much power
and can cause the same symptoms.

--
Bill
Alienware M9700 ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2

bill

On 9/9/2011 4:51 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:4e6a755b$0$26707$(E-Mail Removed),
> Salvador Freemanson<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> This laptop will only boot if the battery has been removed and the
>> power disconected for a couple of days. Once it's booted, it seems to
>> work OK. But if I switch it off, I have to put it asside again for a
>> couple of days. When it's not booting, it seems to go straight into
>> some kind of sleep mode. I've also tried putting a bootable CD and
>> bootable USB key, but no joy. A couple of the lights flash for a
>> second or two, then it just stops. No display on the screen. I've also
>> tried replacing the RAM
>> (that was before I found out that it would boot again if I left it
>> asside), but of course that made no difference.
>>
>> I'm completely lost for ideas.

> Try unplugging it and remove the battery and then hold the power button
> down for at least 10 seconds. This performs a reset. If that doesn't
> work I would try the following in any order:
>
> - BIOS Setting, restore to factory (aka default) setting.
>
> - Remove hard drive, optical drive, all external connections like USB
> devices, etc. The idea here is one of them maybe drawing too much power
> and can cause the same symptoms.

I've experienced the situation where a failing HD would not boot when
at operating temperature. In the old days we used to stick it in the
freezer for an hour or so, and it would boot, but a HD like that didn't
run very long. Sometimes just long enough to copy over that one file
I desperately needed.

YMMV

Salvador Freemanson

Le 10/09/2011 21:20, bill a écrit :
> On 9/9/2011 4:51 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:4e6a755b$0$26707$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Salvador Freemanson<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> This laptop will only boot if the battery has been removed and the
>>> power disconected for a couple of days. Once it's booted, it seems to
>>> work OK. But if I switch it off, I have to put it asside again for a
>>> couple of days. When it's not booting, it seems to go straight into
>>> some kind of sleep mode. I've also tried putting a bootable CD and
>>> bootable USB key, but no joy. A couple of the lights flash for a
>>> second or two, then it just stops. No display on the screen. I've also
>>> tried replacing the RAM
>>> (that was before I found out that it would boot again if I left it
>>> asside), but of course that made no difference.
>>>
>>> I'm completely lost for ideas.

>> Try unplugging it and remove the battery and then hold the power button
>> down for at least 10 seconds. This performs a reset. If that doesn't
>> work I would try the following in any order:
>>
>> - BIOS Setting, restore to factory (aka default) setting.
>>
>> - Remove hard drive, optical drive, all external connections like USB
>> devices, etc. The idea here is one of them maybe drawing too much power
>> and can cause the same symptoms.

> I've experienced the situation where a failing HD would not boot when
> at operating temperature. In the old days we used to stick it in the
> freezer for an hour or so, and it would boot, but a HD like that didn't
> run very long. Sometimes just long enough to copy over that one file
> I desperately needed.
>
> YMMV

It's not the HD in my case - I get exactly the same symptoms with the
drive removed.

I'm going to try going into the bios. But I have to first get it to
boot. I'll try again in a day or two.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Salvador Freemanson wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> This laptop will only boot if the battery has been removed and the
> power disconected for a couple of days. Once it's booted, it seems to
> work OK. But if I switch it off, I have to put it asside again for a
> couple of days. When it's not booting, it seems to go straight into
> some kind of sleep mode. I've also tried putting a bootable CD and
> bootable USB key, but no joy. A couple of the lights flash for a
> second or two, then it just stops. No display on the screen. I've also
> tried replacing the RAM
> (that was before I found out that it would boot again if I left it
> asside), but of course that made no difference.
>
> I'm completely lost for ideas.

Hi Salvador,

You could try removing the battery, unplugging the AC and then pushing the
start button up to 10 times, holding it for a second or two and maybe 10
seconds the last time. Then replace the battery and see if it starts....
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)