AT90USB1287 OTG host compatibility with devices?

rg.jones@rogers.com

Hi,

I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
interfacing the AT90USB1287 to various USB devices.

Have you found any that don't work?

I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.

The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)

case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
lookup table with device EP addr
Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
Host_clear_configured();
Host_clear_device_ready();
Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
events
Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
power supply!!!
if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
{ device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
device connection expectation
break;

So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...

Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
latest code from Atmel and winavr ...

I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
to be sure and no diff..

Glenn

rg.jones@rogers.com

On Apr 28, 11:32 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
> interfacing theAT90USB1287to various USB devices.
>
> Have you found any that don't work?
>
> I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
> dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
> detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
> Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.
>
> The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
> plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)
>
> case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
> for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
> lookup table with device EP addr
> Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
> Host_clear_configured();
> Host_clear_device_ready();
> Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
> events
> Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
> power supply!!!
> if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
> { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
> device connection expectation
> break;
>
> So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...
>
> Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
> latest code from Atmel and winavr ...
>
> I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
> to be sure and no diff..
>
> Glenn

Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode?

It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
causes the AT90USB1287 to reset.

Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

Glenn

linnix

On May 1, 6:48 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Apr 28, 11:32 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
> > interfacing theAT90USB1287to various USB devices.

> > Have you found any that don't work?

> > I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
> > dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
> > detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
> > Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.

> > The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
> > plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)

> > case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
> > for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
> > lookup table with device EP addr
> > Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
> > Host_clear_configured();
> > Host_clear_device_ready();
> > Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
> > events
> > Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
> > power supply!!!
> > if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
> > { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
> > device connection expectation
> > break;

> > So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...

> > Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
> > latest code from Atmel and winavr ...

> > I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
> > to be sure and no diff..

> > Glenn

> Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode?

We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

> It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
> causes the AT90USB1287 to reset.

Probably watchdog reset.

> Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

It sounds like a software issue.

rg.jones@rogers.com

On May 1, 11:18 am, linnix <(E-Mail Removed)-for.us> wrote:
> On May 1, 6:48 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Apr 28, 11:32 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > > I would like to discuss with anyone who has some experience
> > > interfacing theAT90USB1287to various USB devices.

> > > Have you found any that don't work?

> > > I have two devices which are detected correctly - Lexar 32MB jump
> > > dirve and a Lenovo USB sound device .... I have two that are don't get
> > > detected correctly and they are a 512MB Imation flash drive and a
> > > Gigafast 102.11g wireless fob.

> > > The code goes screwy in this section when one of the "bad" devices is
> > > plugged in (snippet from the atmel demo programs)

> > > case DEVICE_UNATTACHED:
> > > for (c=0;c<MAX_EP_NB;c++) {ep_table[c]=0;}// Reset PIPE
> > > lookup table with device EP addr
> > > Host_clear_device_supported(); // Reset Device status
> > > Host_clear_configured();
> > > Host_clear_device_ready();
> > > Usb_clear_all_event(); // Clear all software
> > > events
> > > Usb_enable_vbus(); // Give at least device
> > > power supply!!!
> > > if(Is_usb_vbus_high())
> > > { device_state=DEVICE_ATTACHED; } // If VBUS ok goto to
> > > device connection expectation
> > > break;

> > > So when it hits Usb_enable vbus(); the jtag mkii goes awry ...

> > > Any one else run into this - I am using a AT90USBKEY - I am using the
> > > latest code from Atmel and winavr ...

> > > I was runing the key on a 9v battery but did switch to a wallwart just
> > > to be sure and no diff..

> > > Glenn

> > Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode?

> We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.
>

> > It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
> > causes theAT90USB1287to reset.

> Probably watchdog reset.
>

> > Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

> It sounds like a software issue.

Hi Thanks for the reply ...

I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
power requirements.

Glenn

rg.jones@rogers.com

On May 2, 8:59 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 1, 11:18 am, linnix <(E-Mail Removed)-for.us> wrote:

> > > Am I the only one using the AT90USBKEY for host mode?

> > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

> > > It appears that plugging in some devices and attempting to apply power
> > > causes theAT90USB1287to reset.

> > Probably watchdog reset.

> > > Can any one confirm if this is a known problem?

> > It sounds like a software issue.

> Hi Thanks for the reply ...
>
> I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
> appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
> going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
> power requirements.
>
> Glenn

Works
Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma

Doesn't work
Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma

Glenn

linnix

On May 2, 6:31 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 2, 8:59 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

> > > Probably watchdog reset.

> > > It sounds like a software issue.

> > Hi Thanks for the reply ...

> > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
> > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
> > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
> > power requirements.

> > Glenn

> Works
> Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
> Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
> Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
>
> Doesn't work
> Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
> Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
> GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
>
> Glenn

So, are they exceeding the power requirements?
100ma is the typical default.

Ulf Samuelsson

>> > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
>> > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
>> > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
>> > power requirements.

>> > Glenn

>> Works
>> Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
>> Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
>> Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
>>
>> Doesn't work
>> Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
>> Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
>> GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
>>
>> Glenn

> So, are they exceeding the power requirements?
> 100ma is the typical default.

More important`:
How much can your power supply support?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Antti

On 2 Mai, 15:31, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 2, 8:59 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > We are getting a prototype board for the chip, but not ready yet.

> > > Probably watchdog reset.

> > > It sounds like a software issue.

> > Hi Thanks for the reply ...

> > I don't think it is the software as some devices work okay ... It
> > appears as if the mcu is being reset when vbus is being applied - I am
> > going to check the descriptors (of the problem devices) for their
> > power requirements.

> > Glenn

> Works
> Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
> Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
> Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
>
> Doesn't work
> Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
> Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
> GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
>
> Glenn- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

USB OTG specification says max power is 30mA
so if the circuitry is made as per requirements of the USB OTG
it doesnt have to deliver more than 30mA, it may deliver more
but it really isnt required. If you are using non-OTG devices
then check the power supply

Antti

rg.jones@rogers.com

On May 2, 9:31 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Works
> Lexar 32 MB Flash drive - 90ma
> Lenovo USB Sound device - 100ma
> Microsoft Optical mouse - 100ma
>
> Doesn't work
> Imation 512 MB Flash drive - 200ma
> Trendnet 424UB 802.11b/g - 400ma
> GigaFast WF748-CUI 802.11b/g - 500ma
>
> Glenn

Atmel suport indicated that the devices that don't work most likely
exceed the 100ma spec for current at enumeration time. OTG spec 8ma
should be available at enumeration time.

They offered two work arounds

1) Disable the BOD fuse (by default it is set to 2.6V)
2) Add a capacitor (~22µ) to the regulator

I have done step 1 so far and that allows the devices I had an issue
with to enumerate.

I am also using a 12v (1000ma) power supply (just what I happended to
have on hand)

Hope this helps someone else.

Glenn

USB OTG host to host communication Mark Piffer Embedded 2 03-12-2011 03:57 PM
PCIe for Host to Host rektide Embedded 0 11-30-2005 09:12 PM
unable to register OTG transceiver in OMAP730 board giri_36 Embedded 0 07-05-2005 07:08 AM
High speed USB 2.0 OTG component availability Brad S Embedded 27 01-14-2005 03:30 PM
USB OTG high speed rickman Embedded 2 06-05-2004 10:27 PM