ATAPI 48X CDROM - NOT WORKING

Locke

Hey guys, I need some help! (seriously)

The Story:

"For christmas, someone got me a set of digital binoculars.
You take a picture, plug them into USB, load it onto your comp,
do whatever you want. You also have to install a driver that comes
with them. I (me) plugged in the CD that came with them, it loaded,
and said I needed to plug in the binoculars. I exited, plugged them
in, opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
the program loaded, my computer glitched, it exited, nothing happened.
.. . . . ."

"I opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
the program did not load, and nothing happened. Nothing continued to
happen for a while, so I opened My Computer, clicks the Icon D:\, and
recieved the following message: 'Please insert a disc into drive D:.'"

The Problem:

"THERE IS A DISC IN DRIVE D:\ AND ITS NOT READING IT!"

Things i've tried to fix it:

1) Reboot
2) Stare at it for a while - then reboot
3) Unplug USB, reboot, plug in USB, reboot, etc.
4) Shout at my computer screen while it gave me a strange look of:
"I can't here you!"
5) Ask my friend who works at Microsoft
6) Ask my neibor who doesn't work
7) Uninstall ATAPI 48X CDROM and reboot
8) Go into BIOS and check that its there
and lastly...
9) Spend a half-an-hour of my time writing a semi-funny post on google
hoping someone will have pity for me and show me the light at the
end
the tunnel! (its a long, dark, tunnel...)

So, if anyone has some suggestions, or better yet, solutions, please
post them!

Thank you,
Joe Locke

jamotto

(E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> Hey guys, I need some help! (seriously)
>
> The Story:
>
> "For christmas, someone got me a set of digital binoculars.
> You take a picture, plug them into USB, load it onto your comp,
> do whatever you want. You also have to install a driver that comes
> with them. I (me) plugged in the CD that came with them, it loaded,
> and said I needed to plug in the binoculars. I exited, plugged them
> in, opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
> the program loaded, my computer glitched, it exited, nothing happened.
> . . . . ."
>
> "I opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
> the program did not load, and nothing happened. Nothing continued to
> happen for a while, so I opened My Computer, clicks the Icon D:\, and
> recieved the following message: 'Please insert a disc into drive D:.'"
>
> The Problem:
>
> "THERE IS A DISC IN DRIVE D:\ AND ITS NOT READING IT!"
>
> Things i've tried to fix it:
>
> 1) Reboot
> 2) Stare at it for a while - then reboot
> 3) Unplug USB, reboot, plug in USB, reboot, etc.
> 4) Shout at my computer screen while it gave me a strange look of:
> "I can't here you!"
> 5) Ask my friend who works at Microsoft
> 6) Ask my neibor who doesn't work
> 7) Uninstall ATAPI 48X CDROM and reboot
> 8) Go into BIOS and check that its there
> and lastly...
> 9) Spend a half-an-hour of my time writing a semi-funny post on google
> hoping someone will have pity for me and show me the light at the
> end
> the tunnel! (its a long, dark, tunnel...)
>
> So, if anyone has some suggestions, or better yet, solutions, please
> post them!
>
> Thank you,
> Joe Locke

I assume the BIOS see's the drive. When you start up the computer
does the cd-rom drive acces light blink a few times(in other words is
it getting power). Does it work with other cd's (music, other data
cd's, etc). If not it sounds as if the cd-rom drive is just bit the
dust.

Most new cd-roms are going to be CD-r/CD-RW units but you should still
find the non cd-burner kind out there

hope this helps

Wolfbaine

(E-Mail Removed) (jamotto) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> > Hey guys, I need some help! (seriously)
> >
> > The Story:
> >
> > "For christmas, someone got me a set of digital binoculars.
> > You take a picture, plug them into USB, load it onto your comp,
> > do whatever you want. You also have to install a driver that comes
> > with them. I (me) plugged in the CD that came with them, it loaded,
> > and said I needed to plug in the binoculars. I exited, plugged them
> > in, opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
> > the program loaded, my computer glitched, it exited, nothing happened.
> > . . . . ."
> >
> > "I opened my drive, closed it. (with the CD in it) The drive closed,
> > the program did not load, and nothing happened. Nothing continued to
> > happen for a while, so I opened My Computer, clicks the Icon D:\, and
> > recieved the following message: 'Please insert a disc into drive D:.'"
> >
> > The Problem:
> >
> > "THERE IS A DISC IN DRIVE D:\ AND ITS NOT READING IT!"
> >
> > Things i've tried to fix it:
> >
> > 1) Reboot
> > 2) Stare at it for a while - then reboot
> > 3) Unplug USB, reboot, plug in USB, reboot, etc.
> > 4) Shout at my computer screen while it gave me a strange look of:
> > "I can't here you!"
> > 5) Ask my friend who works at Microsoft
> > 6) Ask my neibor who doesn't work
> > 7) Uninstall ATAPI 48X CDROM and reboot
> > 8) Go into BIOS and check that its there
> > and lastly...
> > 9) Spend a half-an-hour of my time writing a semi-funny post on google
> > hoping someone will have pity for me and show me the light at the
> > end
> > the tunnel! (its a long, dark, tunnel...)
> >
> > So, if anyone has some suggestions, or better yet, solutions, please
> > post them!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Joe Locke

> I assume the BIOS see's the drive. When you start up the computer
> does the cd-rom drive acces light blink a few times(in other words is
> it getting power). Does it work with other cd's (music, other data
> cd's, etc). If not it sounds as if the cd-rom drive is just bit the
> dust.
>
> Most new cd-roms are going to be CD-r/CD-RW units but you should still
> find the non cd-burner kind out there
>
> hope this helps

Sounds like the Cdrom did bite the dust however i would try changing
power plug that hooks to the cdrom there may be a short in the one
that is plugged in there now

Locke

POST!

I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

Ron Cook

jamotto

(E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> POST!
>
> I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
Does it work with any other cd's?

Locke

(E-Mail Removed) (jamotto) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > POST!
> >
> > I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

> Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
> Does it work with any other cd's?

Nope, no other cd's work. I've tried video, audio, and app cd's. None.

jamotto

(E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (jamotto) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > > POST!
> > >
> > > I checked the light, its getting power. I'm seeing it in BIOS. Does that help?

> > Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
> > Does it work with any other cd's?

> Nope, no other cd's work. I've tried video, audio, and app cd's. None.

Sounds like the drive has gone belly up

Mike

Hi. I dont know if this will help anything, but i figured id let ya
give it a try. I know that some cd-roms have a little headphone jack
on the front of them. If you happen to have one of those drives that
does have this, then try plugging in a known to be working pair of
headphones, and then insert a known working (aka store bought) audio
cd, and then find which one of the 2 buttons on the cdrom has a little
"play" symbol on it, and press that. If you dont hear anything from
your headphones, then check and make sure that the little volume
control thing that is right next to the headphone jack is not turned
all the way down, and if it still fails to play your cd, then as far
as i can see, your cd-rom is completely dead. I'd invest in a new
CD-RW drive instead of buying a new "cd-rom" drive. It will definately
be worth it in the long run.

--Mike

(E-Mail Removed) (jamotto) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Locke) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (jamotto) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> > > Ok you got power and the BIOS see's the drive the O/S see's the drive.
> > > Does it work with any other cd's?

> > Nope, no other cd's work. I've tried video, audio, and app cd's. None.

> Sounds like the drive has gone belly up

Dell Sony CD-RW 48X Drive Charliec Dell 2 03-22-2007 06:35 PM
toughbook cf-48x drivers T.C. Laptops 1 12-10-2006 05:26 PM
Dell 48X CD-RW/DVD ROM drive trouble Ferdy Dell 0 03-19-2005 07:28 AM
can't find ATAPI CDROM with cdrecord on Sol8 Alexandros Gougousoudis Sun Hardware 1 09-05-2003 04:12 PM
IS7 not recognizing Atapi cdrom devices all the time Seth Brundle Abit 5 09-04-2003 09:21 PM