athlon 64 x2 4800

Chrisj

I have a water cooled athlon 64 x2 4800 and the other day when I walked in
the room I smelt the faint smell of anti-freeze. So I checked my temps and
saw that the cpu was @105c. I immediately shut it down and took care of the
problem, rebooted and everything seems fine. My question is does anyone
think I could have caused permanent damage and how hot can this cpu get
before frying? Normally it runs between 41c & 46c. In all my years of
building pc's I have NEVER seen a cpu get even remotely get close to this
temp.
Thanks for any info.

Dave Ryman

"Chrisj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Potqh.29$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a water cooled athlon 64 x2 4800 and the other day when I
> walked in the room I smelt the faint smell of anti-freeze. So I
> checked my temps and saw that the cpu was @105c. I immediately shut
> it down and took care of the problem, rebooted and everything seems
> fine. My question is does anyone think I could have caused permanent
> damage and how hot can this cpu get before frying? Normally it runs
> between 41c & 46c. In all my years of building pc's I have NEVER seen
> a cpu get even remotely get close to this temp.
> Thanks for any info.

Hi, new here.

I have been wondering about overclocking for a while - we have an Athlon
64 3000+, and I know it's supposed to be good for overclocking.

ATM, we have a bog-standard AMD cooler on the processor - and it's
running at a (slightly scary) 56-59 deg C. I'm guessing I don't want to
overclock it without cooling enhancements!

At the time of writing, we just don't have enough room in the case for a
BIG cooling fan on the processor (one of those flower things). If I rejig
the PC so that the HDDs are located in spare spaces for CD/DVD drives,
then that will free up some space in the main area of the case where the
main board is: So better cooling is a possibility for the future.

I did consider a fluid-based cooling system (although expensive), but
this post has kinda put me off the idea. Are leaks in these systems
commonplace?

--
Regards,
Dave

email: (E-Mail Removed)

My Homepage: http://homepages.tesco.net/david.ryman/
The F1 travel guide: http://www.zdp06.ukgateway.net/f1_travel.htm

xorbit

Chrisj wrote:
> I have a water cooled athlon 64 x2 4800 and the other day when I walked in
> the room I smelt the faint smell of anti-freeze. So I checked my temps and
> saw that the cpu was @105c. I immediately shut it down and took care of the
> problem, rebooted and everything seems fine. My question is does anyone
> think I could have caused permanent damage and how hot can this cpu get
> before frying? Normally it runs between 41c & 46c. In all my years of
> building pc's I have NEVER seen a cpu get even remotely get close to this
> temp.
> Thanks for any info.

I accidentially overcooked a a 939 A64 3200 to a little over 100C. I
thought it was all over. I let the system cool and it rebooted OK, but
something didn't "feel" right. The system seemed slow. Within a few
days, the system started freezing up and having errors. Finally, it
just quit.

I don't know which component(s) failed, but the motherboard wouldn't
work with a new CPU and the CPU didn't work on a different board. All
the rest of the components (hard drive, video, memory. etc.) were used
in other systems.

Chrisj

"xorbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZDvqh.38$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Chrisj wrote:
>> I have a water cooled athlon 64 x2 4800 and the other day when I walked
>> in the room I smelt the faint smell of anti-freeze. So I checked my
>> temps and saw that the cpu was @105c. I immediately shut it down and
>> took care of the problem, rebooted and everything seems fine. My question
>> is does anyone think I could have caused permanent damage and how hot can
>> this cpu get before frying? Normally it runs between 41c & 46c. In all my
>> years of building pc's I have NEVER seen a cpu get even remotely get
>> close to this temp.
>> Thanks for any info.

> I accidentially overcooked a a 939 A64 3200 to a little over 100C. I
> thought it was all over. I let the system cool and it rebooted OK, but
> something didn't "feel" right. The system seemed slow. Within a few
> days, the system started freezing up and having errors. Finally, it just
> quit.
>
> I don't know which component(s) failed, but the motherboard wouldn't work
> with a new CPU and the CPU didn't work on a different board. All the rest
> of the components (hard drive, video, memory. etc.) were used in other
> systems.

Thanks for the reply, knock wood my system seems to be running the same as
it did before. I think I walked in just as it spiked (my water line kinked).
Also I wasn't overclocked.at the time.

Wes Newell

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:57:21 +0000, Dave Ryman wrote:

> I have been wondering about overclocking for a while - we have an Athlon
> 64 3000+, and I know it's supposed to be good for overclocking.
>
> ATM, we have a bog-standard AMD cooler on the processor - and it's
> running at a (slightly scary) 56-59 deg C. I'm guessing I don't want to
> overclock it without cooling enhancements!

That seems a bit hot to me. My A64 3000+ nver got close to that even with
100% load. Perhaps you're getting wrong readings. Try upgrading the MB
bios. Currently running a stock cooler on an X2 3800+ and idle temp with
CnQ enabled stays the same as system temp, currently 32C.. With both cores
at 100% it goes a little over 50C.

Ed Light

You could try downloading Prime95 and running the torture test overnight. If
it makes no errors, you're probably fine.

That cpu is not supposed to go over 70C, I think, and may make errors over
60C.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Jeff

"Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6tAqh.36236$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could try downloading Prime95 and running the torture test overnight.
> If it makes no errors, you're probably fine.
>
> That cpu is not supposed to go over 70C, I think, and may make errors over
> 60C.

I got a free machine once because someone didn't know what was wrong with
it. The heat sink and fan had broken loose. I know that it was run for
several hours without the heat sink and fan. ...or should I say that it was
turned on - the processor only actually ran for a few minutes until it froze
due to the heat. After replacing with a new HSF, the thing ran perfectly
fine and has done so for about 2 years now. It was only a 1gig P3, however,
so I doubt that it would have gotten quite as hot as what your would have.

Ed Light

> "Ed Light" wrote
>> You could try downloading Prime95 and running the torture test overnight.
>> If it makes no errors, you're probably fine.

I forgot that to cover a dual-core cpu you probably have to run two
instances of p95.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

rickman

On Jan 14, 11:43 am, "Chrisj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a water cooled athlon 64 x2 4800 and the other day when I walked in
> the room I smelt the faint smell of anti-freeze. So I checked my temps and
> saw that the cpu was @105c. I immediately shut it down and took care of the
> problem, rebooted and everything seems fine. My question is does anyone
> think I could have caused permanent damage and how hot can this cpu get
> before frying? Normally it runs between 41c & 46c. In all my years of
> building pc's I have NEVER seen a cpu get even remotely get close to this
> temp.
> Thanks for any info.

The concerns about damage to overheated semiconductors is way
overblown in my opinion. CPUs may be more sensitive than some other
compoments, but they can certainly survive 105C, even for extended
periods (hours not years). Remember, these things are made by heating
them to some 300C in the foundry.

My AMD 1600 has been running at around 60-70C for some four or five
years. At the time I built it the cooler I used put it closer to 45C,
but I had to replace it and the new one sucks. Over the years it has
crept up even with regular dust cleaning. I expect the thermal paste
needs to be replaced. Regardless, I don't see any failures, but the
temp alarm does go off when the room warms up in the summer. Then I
have to bump the alarm up to 72C. :>

My point is that if it works ok, don't sweat it. These things are
tough when it comes to temps.

BTW, the guy who overclocked his system and broke 100C (as well as the
processor), my guess is that he actually blew out something in the CPU
power supply on the motherboard. That would explain how both the mobo
and the CPU got fried. When you overclock the power supply has to
deliver a lot more current. Some mobos can be damaged by this
excessive current. If this causes an overvoltage on the CPU, that can
fry it very quickly or it can cause permanent damage that may not stop
the CPU from working until later. Who realy knows, but it sounds
good, no?