Athlon CPU Upgrade in Compaq Laptop

Karl North

Hello All,
I have a Compaq Presario 700 series laptop. It currently has a Duron 1Ghz
in it. I would like to upgrade the CPU. The higest end of this notebook line
(Same Mobo) has an Athlon 1.4Ghz CPU in it.
As far as I can tell from LOTS of research is that the Mobo can handle
100/133. I'm ASSUMING that it should be okay for an AMD 35 Watt Mobile
Athlon XP 2400+, at 266 MHz FSB. Or am I missing something?

P.S - please don't tell me that Compaq laptops are crappy. This I already
know. I'm keeping it anyway... it was FREE!

Thanks,
Karl North

DougH

> As far as I can tell from LOTS of research is that the Mobo can handle
> 100/133. I'm ASSUMING that it should be okay for an AMD 35 Watt Mobile
> Athlon XP 2400+, at 266 MHz FSB. Or am I missing something?

Yes an Athlon XP 2400+ will run on that speed of bus. The question that
needs to be answered is will the bios on your Compaq recognize the Athlon
XP? Not sure if Compaq will be much help but maybe they have some info on
that area. They most likely will want to sell you and overpriced upgrade.
Hope it works out.

DougH

Ben Pope

DougH wrote:
>> As far as I can tell from LOTS of research is that the Mobo can handle
>> 100/133. I'm ASSUMING that it should be okay for an AMD 35 Watt Mobile
>> Athlon XP 2400+, at 266 MHz FSB. Or am I missing something?

> Yes an Athlon XP 2400+ will run on that speed of bus. The question that
> needs to be answered is will the bios on your Compaq recognize the Athlon
> XP?

Even if it doesn't, it should run it at the default multiplier and FSB.
Then all you're missing is the description on boot up...

Ben

DougH

If it does that's fine. My only experience with upgrading a cpu that wasn't
specifically mentioned in the motherboard specs was back in the 486 days. I
replaced a 486 33MHz with an AMD 5x86 Pentium compatible and the system
wouldn't boot. I had to upgrade the bios chip itself for it to work. No
bios flashing at that time either.

DougH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...