athlon xp 2800 - Ghz?

BobTheCat

Hi,

I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

[I have NO experience with AMD.]

Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq? [He
has an eMachine].

Thanks!
BobTheCat

dawg

There were two types of 2800+ made by AMD. One ran at 266 FSB,the other ran
at 333 FSB.The 266 cpu is and was very hard to get for some reason. Neither
one ran at 2.8ghz. But they were different actual speeds. It's funny
though,the A64 2800+ I have runs at 1.8Ghz and beats the XP 2800+ that runs
at 2.08Ghz. This damn numbering system AMD came up with is insane,and
Intel's system is just as confusing!!

"BobTheCat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP

(fan
> and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
> He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when

he
> booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
> Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?
>
> [I have NO experience with AMD.]
>
> Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?

[He
> has an eMachine].
>
> Thanks!
> BobTheCat

Wes Newell

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:25:28 +0000, BobTheCat wrote:

> I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
> and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
> He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
> booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
> Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

Yes, there's the original Tbred B core that ran at 2250MHz (13.5x166) and
the newer Barton core with twice the cache that runs at 2083MHz
(12.5x166). There's also MP and XP-M models that run on a 133 MHz FSB.

> Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
> [He has an eMachine].

The new one you bought appears to be a Barton core and it's probably
multiplier locked unless it's an XP-M. So all you can do is raise the
FSB. How high depends on the board you have, but up to about 175MHz should
be safe on any of them. You may need to raise vcore to get it stable.

Ruel Smith

> I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
> (fan
> and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
> He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when
> he
> booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
> Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

You're dad's on crack... There are two different speeds based on the core,
which one runs at 266 MHz FSB and the other 333 MHz. However, neither runs
at 2.8 GHz.

> Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
> [He
> has an eMachine].

You'd need a non-OEM board to overclock via the BIOS. eMachines, Dell, HP,
Gateway, and others don't provide BIOS overclocking features. You can
hardware overclock by bridging pins on the CPU with special grease or paint,
but you'll need to search the web for the settings and how to do it.

spodosaurus

Ruel Smith wrote:
>>I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
>>(fan
>>and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
>>He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when
>>he
>>booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
>>Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

> You're dad's on crack...

I was about to post using that exact same phrase :-)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

rstlne

"Ruel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9003d$42f7ee4d$453deccd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
> > (fan
> > and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
> > He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST

when
> > he
> > booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz

CPU.
> > Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

> You're dad's on crack... There are two different speeds based on the core,
> which one runs at 266 MHz FSB and the other 333 MHz. However, neither runs
> at 2.8 GHz.
>
> > Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
> > [He
> > has an eMachine].

> You'd need a non-OEM board to overclock via the BIOS. eMachines, Dell, HP,
> Gateway, and others don't provide BIOS overclocking features. You can
> hardware overclock by bridging pins on the CPU with special grease or

paint,
> but you'll need to search the web for the settings and how to do it.

You dont need to be rude about something.
the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement however.
His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating and
think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

Carlos

BobTheCat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
> and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
> He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
> booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
> Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?
>
> [I have NO experience with AMD.]
>
> Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq? [He
> has an eMachine].
>
> Thanks!
> BobTheCat

This table lists all the info for the Athlon XP chips:

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

Cuzman

dawg wrote:

" There were two types of 2800+ made by AMD. One ran at 266 FSB,the
other ran at 333 FSB. "

For socket A, there is one 266FSB desktop version, two 333FSB desktop
versions, two 266FSB XP-M versions (55W and 72W) and a 266FSB MP
version. As a side-note, there are also two 333FSB 2800+ Semprons.

Athlon XP:
2800+ 266FSB 2133MHz 512KB AXDA2800DKV4C Barton
2800+ 333FSB 2250MHz 256KB AXDA2800DKV3D Thoroughbred-B
2800+ 333FSB 2083MHz 512KB AXDA2800DKV4D Barton

Athlon XP-M:
2800+ 266FSB 2133MHz 512KB AXMA2800FKT4C Barton (72W TDP)
2800+ 266FSB 2083MHz 512KB AXDL2800DLV4D Barton (55W DTR)

Athlon MP:
2800+ 266FSB 2133MHz 512KB AMSN2800DUT4C Barton

Sempron:
2800+ 333FSB 2000MHz 256KB SDA2800DUT3D Thoroughbred-B
2800+ 333FSB 2000MHz 256KB SDC2800DUT3D Thoroughbred-B

" The 266 cpu is and was very hard to get for some reason. "

The desktop 266FSB 2800+ was only released in December 2004. AMD pulled
all their stocks of engineering samples and unreleased processors from
the warehouse, quietly sending them out to retailers in small
quantities. The 333FSB 3200+ was also released at the same time.

Ruel Smith

>> You're dad's on crack...

> You dont need to be rude about something.
> the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement
> however.
> His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating and
> think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
> 2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

Lighten up! It's a commonly used phrased that 90% of the public aren't
offended by. Get a sense of humor for God's sake...

DCA

"Ruel Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b8b73$42f969c9$453da88e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You're dad's on crack...

>> You dont need to be rude about something.
>> the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement
>> however.
>> His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating
>> and
>> think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
>> 2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..

> Lighten up! It's a commonly used phrased that 90% of the public aren't
> offended by. Get a sense of humor for God's sake...

Really? - I find it rude too. How about you get an APPROPRIATE sense of
humour and grow up!