Athlon XP Barton 2500 shows XP1700

BubbaPrime

K7S5A Pro - ECS Mainboard
Brand new retail (from Newegg) Athlon XP 2500 Barton

I think but not sure...
Bios shows XP1700
FSB is set to 133/133
cannot increase the FSB to 166/166
board supports 200/266

is this why I do not see the CPU correctly?

I'm not sure the board supports manual overrides
I have already checked, and have the most recent BIOS version.

Thoughts / Ideas - Upgrade Mobo?

David Condon

Hi BubbaPrime,

Yeah, that is the reason, the FSB has to be 166 for the bios to read 2500. I
just installed my own and that is what mine was set to.

BubbaPrime

*drat*
....oh well, guess I can get a new mobo and ebay this one.

Thanks David.

"David Condon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:06_Gb.175751$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi BubbaPrime,
>
> Yeah, that is the reason, the FSB has to be 166 for the bios to read 2500.

> just installed my own and that is what mine was set to.

Wes Newell

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:06:20 +0000, BubbaPrime wrote:

> K7S5A Pro - ECS Mainboard
> Brand new retail (from Newegg) Athlon XP 2500 Barton
>
> I think but not sure...
> Bios shows XP1700
> FSB is set to 133/133
> cannot increase the FSB to 166/166
> is this why I do not see the CPU correctly?
> I'm not sure the board supports manual overrides
> I have already checked, and have the most recent BIOS version.
>
> Thoughts / Ideas - Upgrade Mobo?

You might check for the cheepoman bios for that board. I've heard there is
a way to run the FSB at 166Mhz. But if I were you, I'd just order a
K7S8XE-R3 or K7S8XE+. Both are sis748 based so conversion won't be much of
an OS problem. Plus, they're great boards (under $60). Another problem
will be that you'll need new ram though. If your new 2500+ isn't locked,
you could use the pin mod to change the multiplier from 11 to 15 or 16 and
run it at 133MHz FSB still. CPU date code needs to be 0338 or earlier
for unlocked. Many options anyway. Good luck.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

BubbaPrime

thanks for the other options, Wes.
Bubba

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:06:20 +0000, BubbaPrime wrote:
>
> > K7S5A Pro - ECS Mainboard
> > Brand new retail (from Newegg) Athlon XP 2500 Barton
> >
> > I think but not sure...
> > Bios shows XP1700
> > FSB is set to 133/133
> > cannot increase the FSB to 166/166
> > is this why I do not see the CPU correctly?
> > I'm not sure the board supports manual overrides
> > I have already checked, and have the most recent BIOS version.
> >
> > Thoughts / Ideas - Upgrade Mobo?

> You might check for the cheepoman bios for that board. I've heard there is
> a way to run the FSB at 166Mhz. But if I were you, I'd just order a
> K7S8XE-R3 or K7S8XE+. Both are sis748 based so conversion won't be much of
> an OS problem. Plus, they're great boards (under $60). Another problem
> will be that you'll need new ram though. If your new 2500+ isn't locked,
> you could use the pin mod to change the multiplier from 11 to 15 or 16 and
> run it at 133MHz FSB still. CPU date code needs to be 0338 or earlier
> for unlocked. Many options anyway. Good luck.
>
> http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html
>
> --
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

Mike Koehler

I had the same motherboard and processor,

This is what you need to go do,

go into the system bios set to
CPU PnP to 133/133

This being what you said u already did Fryes (Right) might have sold u a bad
processor.

They honor the warranty for 1 year so show them your receipt and get your
processor (And board if they'll do it since it might be a bad board, I've
had a couple bad boards from Elitegroup).

WAIT A SEC, I just realized it's a Bartons Chip, The Bartons don't work with
EliteGRoup MB's so if it is an Elitegroup ditch it and go with a gigabyte.
Works like a champ for me!

news:00ZGb.5812$(E-Mail Removed) t...