Athlon64 2800 warranty

Venom

Hi everybody.
An old fellow over the street from me was having problems with his computer
and I offered to help. To keep it short the problem is his CPU. I said to
contact the company that sold the computer to him and he said they have gone
belly up and are no longer around. Not a problem I thought so I said to go
straight to AMD and as long as he had the purchase reciept he should get
warranty. The catch is that they can't seem to find the reciept for the
computer which was bought around June 2005. He does have the box that the
CPU and heatsink and fan came in as the seller told him to keep the boxes
that all the parts come in just in case of warranty. I don't really want to
become involved between him and AMD so I thought I would ask if anyone here
has had a similar problem with an AMD CPU.
I did say to just go out and buy a Sempron to get him going again but he
says that as a pensioner he can't see his way clear at this time to fork out
another $100.
Anybody got any ideas please? Our location is the Gold Coast, Australia.
Cheers.

Wes Newell

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 03:00:26 +0000, Venom wrote:

> Hi everybody.
> An old fellow over the street from me was having problems with his computer
> and I offered to help. To keep it short the problem is his CPU. I said to
> contact the company that sold the computer to him and he said they have gone
> belly up and are no longer around. Not a problem I thought so I said to go
> straight to AMD and as long as he had the purchase reciept he should get
> warranty. The catch is that they can't seem to find the reciept for the
> computer which was bought around June 2005. He does have the box that the
> CPU and heatsink and fan came in as the seller told him to keep the boxes
> that all the parts come in just in case of warranty. I don't really want to
> become involved between him and AMD so I thought I would ask if anyone here
> has had a similar problem with an AMD CPU.
> I did say to just go out and buy a Sempron to get him going again but he
> says that as a pensioner he can't see his way clear at this time to fork out
> another $100.
> Anybody got any ideas please? Our location is the Gold Coast, Australia.
> Cheers.

If he bougt a boxed AMD CPU (it would come with the CPU and cooler in an
AMD box) then it has a 3 year warranty afaik. They will want the number
that's on the side of fan to verify it. I don't think they will need a
receipt for the purchase as long as he still has the box that it came in
and the fan with the number on the side. if they insist on a receipt, just
doctor one up with a word pro or hand write one. but before going to all
that trouble I'd be sure it was the CPU. They don't fail that often, and
an A64 2800+ should last forever as low as it's clocked.

Venom

> If he bougt a boxed AMD CPU (it would come with the CPU and cooler in an
> AMD box) then it has a 3 year warranty afaik. They will want the number
> that's on the side of fan to verify it. I don't think they will need a
> receipt for the purchase as long as he still has the box that it came in
> and the fan with the number on the side. if they insist on a receipt, just
> doctor one up with a word pro or hand write one. but before going to all
> that trouble I'd be sure it was the CPU. They don't fail that often, and
> an A64 2800+ should last forever as low as it's clocked.

The people at the store told him to keep all the boxes as he may need to
return something for warranty so he has the (PIB?)CPU box. I removed the
motherboard and set it up on the table and started from scratch with only
his CPU installed in the board. Then I added my ram and my video card and I
might add I was using a new power supply I have here just in case. No boot
at all. I then removed his CPU and my Sempron CPU and fitted the Sempron to
his board and then it booted to the point where I could get into bios. This
is what makes me sure it is his Athlon64 that is the problem Wes.
I am sure I can get a reciept for him if that is all it takes.

rstlne

did you read what wes said
you should be able to quote the number from the fan. and not need a receipt.
I'll say that au might have troubles, as in the uk msi are crap but usa are
good.. so every global division is different..
just tell them the numbers and that'll have a production date and they'll
know who bought it originally.

"Venom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6Z1rg.280$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > If he bougt a boxed AMD CPU (it would come with the CPU and cooler in an
> > AMD box) then it has a 3 year warranty afaik. They will want the number
> > that's on the side of fan to verify it. I don't think they will need a
> > receipt for the purchase as long as he still has the box that it came in
> > and the fan with the number on the side. if they insist on a receipt,

just
> > doctor one up with a word pro or hand write one. but before going to all
> > that trouble I'd be sure it was the CPU. They don't fail that often, and
> > an A64 2800+ should last forever as low as it's clocked.
> >

> The people at the store told him to keep all the boxes as he may need to
> return something for warranty so he has the (PIB?)CPU box. I removed the
> motherboard and set it up on the table and started from scratch with only
> his CPU installed in the board. Then I added my ram and my video card and

> might add I was using a new power supply I have here just in case. No boot
> at all. I then removed his CPU and my Sempron CPU and fitted the Sempron

> his board and then it booted to the point where I could get into bios.

This
> is what makes me sure it is his Athlon64 that is the problem Wes.
> I am sure I can get a reciept for him if that is all it takes.

Venom

"rstlne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> did you read what wes said
> you should be able to quote the number from the fan. and not need a

receipt.
> I'll say that au might have troubles, as in the uk msi are crap but usa

are
> good.. so every global division is different..
> just tell them the numbers and that'll have a production date and they'll
> know who bought it originally.

I would have thought that here in downtown Oz, AMD Australia would handle
the warranty and maybe they do but the need for a reciept is to identify the
distributor who would have sold it to the corner computer store. Maybe the
distributors handle warranty. I will know more today or tomorrow.

Venom

>snip<
> >

> I would have thought that here in downtown Oz, AMD Australia would handle
> the warranty and maybe they do but the need for a reciept is to identify

the
> distributor who would have sold it to the corner computer store. Maybe the
> distributors handle warranty. I will know more today or tomorrow.

For some odd reason it seems that the distributor has to do the warranty and
then return the cpu to AMD Aust.for reimbursement. Sounds like a long way of
doing something. It might have something to do with AMD warranty where it
says if they can't replace the Athlon64 2800 with the same then they will
replace it with a cpu of a higher speed. We all know that the higher the
speed the dearer the cpu is and maybe the distributor is having trouble
finding a 2800. Three or so weeke is the time I have been given for a new
cpu which seems wrong somehow but at least warranty will be given. The bloke
at the local computer store says this is a bit unusual and as Brendan (AMD
warranty) said that he would back this warranty claim if there was any drama
with the distributor so my local bloke has forwarded the distributors emails
to Brendan to see if Brendan can speed things up for me. This is where AMD
could take lessons from Intel. Their replacement cpu claims are sent back in
two or three days. Not to worry, at least AMD warranty works.

Found heating problem on my K8V-MX with sempron 2800 - the warranty Shadow Asus 4 01-27-2007 12:36 AM
Athlon64 2800 Socket754 Venom Asus 17 07-12-2006 03:23 PM
Semperon 2800 with Athlon XP 2800 heatsink. Duncan Asus 3 11-18-2005 06:33 AM
Athlon64 2800+ + Abit KV8 $195 at NewEgg!! rms AMD Overclocking 10 07-03-2004 11:14 AM
athlon pro 2800+ vs athlon xp 2800+ Serge Lacombe AMD Thunderbird 3 02-05-2004 11:57 PM