AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed

╬ď╗ó▓ě┴˙Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Learned scholars,

My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed
Complexity.

The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.

Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At 110mhz,
speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.

At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
RAM to set back to default setting.

At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz

Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

pls advise. thanks.

CroW

> Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

Did you put your cooler on the CPU right way? Once I was in a hurry and I
didn't check so I placed the cooler turned by 180 degrees. In that way the
cooler didn't touch the whole core so the CPU was overheating. Luckily my
MBO had some overheating protection and it just shutdowned when put on
1800MHz, when on 1350Mhz it ran much longer.
I would say maybe your cooler is not powerful enough to cool your CPU? What
cooler do you have?

W????n

What memory?

"╬ď╗ó▓ě┴˙Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:c6pfa8$ed4lu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Learned scholars,
>
> My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has

Speed
> Complexity.
>
> The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
> 100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.
>
> Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At

110mhz,
> speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
> BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.
>
> At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
> RAM to set back to default setting.
>
> At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
> sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
> under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz
>
> Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?
>
> pls advise. thanks.

Rick

I don't have that board, but I'm pretty sure this is your problem...

Is there a jumper on your mainboard that changes the FSB from 100MHz
(200DDR) to 133MHz (266DDR)? If there is, set your BIOS back to 100MHz, shut
down the computer and then change the jumper. With boards that are
configured like this, you are actually overclocking your FSB by raising the
settings in the BIOS. If this is the case, than you AGP and PCI bus' are
getting overclocked and failing at approx 115MHz FSB like most KT400A
chipset boards.

Good luck, Rick

"╬ď╗ó▓ě┴˙Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:c6pfa8$ed4lu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Learned scholars,
>
> My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has

Speed
> Complexity.
>
> The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
> 100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.
>
> Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At

110mhz,
> speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
> BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.
>
> At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
> RAM to set back to default setting.
>
> At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
> sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
> under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz
>
> Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?
>
> pls advise. thanks.

rstlne

"╬ď╗ó▓ě┴˙Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:c6pfa8$ed4lu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Learned scholars,
>
> My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has

Speed
> Complexity.
>
> The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
> 100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.
>
> Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At

110mhz,
> speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
> BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.
>
> At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
> RAM to set back to default setting.
>
> At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
> sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
> under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz
>
> Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?
>
> pls advise. thanks.

Msi boards = Crap
What's your memory, If it's only rated for 100mhz then you'll need to make
sure your not overclocking that (easy problem to not spot)
Could it be that the CPU Heatsink isnt connected correctly.. Tell us what
the temps are when it's running @ 100mhz fsb

Green Mountain

standard AMd cooler bundled in the AMD box

"CroW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c6q25h$9c2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed

athlon?

> Did you put your cooler on the CPU right way? Once I was in a hurry and I
> didn't check so I placed the cooler turned by 180 degrees. In that way the
> cooler didn't touch the whole core so the CPU was overheating. Luckily my
> MBO had some overheating protection and it just shutdowned when put on
> 1800MHz, when on 1350Mhz it ran much longer.
> I would say maybe your cooler is not powerful enough to cool your CPU?

What
> cooler do you have?

Nanyang

Kingmax from Taiwan.

Box says speed is 400mhz but mobo shows a speed of 333 even when set to 400
in BIOS

"W????n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What memory?
>

> "╬ď╗ó▓ě┴˙Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in
> message news:c6pfa8$ed4lu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > Learned scholars,
> >
> > My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has

> Speed
> > Complexity.
> >
> > The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
> > 100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.
> >
> > Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At

> 110mhz,
> > speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
> > BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a

lockup/hanged.

> > At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the

BIOS
> > RAM to set back to default setting.
> >
> > At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
> > sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
> > under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz
> >
> > Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed

athlon?

> > pls advise. thanks.

Nanyang

Kingmax 256mb at 400mhz bbut detected by mobo at 333.

> What's your memory, If it's only rated for 100mhz then you'll need to make
> sure your not overclocking that (easy problem to not spot)

35-43 degrees Celcius

> Could it be that the CPU Heatsink isnt connected correctly.. Tell us what
> the temps are when it's running @ 100mhz fsb

Nanyang

MSI Multiplier setting- has an 'Auto' default setting. I am using it.
that's why my fsb and CPU speed screws up.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BB=A8=BA=C3=C2=FA_=D4=C2Beautiful_Flowers_Ful?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?l_Moon?=

Did a checkup with the manual but msi manual says only fsb speed is
adjustable thru software BIOS. no jumper is shown on the manual drawing
of the board. did not see physically though.