ATI card for 22'' 6 bit LCD Monitor? (using XPRESS 200 now)

Waitkus@gmail.com

I have a pc running MCE with a Athlon64 x2 3800 chip and 1gig of ram.
The pc is really the "family" computer with no serious gaming taking
place but a bit of video editing and viewing etc. It currently has
the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 Chipset driving a 19" lcd (no dvi). I
am getting this 22" AOC monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle

I know, Iknow, I know its only a 6 bit display. Anyway, my question is
whether or not the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 will allow me to
effectively run the 22" lcd in its native 1680 x 1050 resolution?
And, if not, would the ati x1300 series of cards be a reasonable
upgrade that will support 1680 x 1050. Again, this is not really a
gaming pc, just a regular "family" unit. We have two ther pc's in the
house. One thing that intrigues me about the ati X----series of cards
is the AVIVO feature.

Thanks for your input.

FKS

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a pc running MCE with a Athlon64 x2 3800 chip and 1gig of ram.
> The pc is really the "family" computer with no serious gaming taking
> place but a bit of video editing and viewing etc. It currently has
> the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 Chipset driving a 19" lcd (no dvi). I
> am getting this 22" AOC monitor
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle

Why are you getting such a mediocre 22" LCD? Other 22" LCDs are way better
than that in the price range.

The Kat

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:25:51 -0500, "FKS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>I have a pc running MCE with a Athlon64 x2 3800 chip and 1gig of ram.
>> The pc is really the "family" computer with no serious gaming taking
>> place but a bit of video editing and viewing etc. It currently has
>> the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 Chipset driving a 19" lcd (no dvi). I
>> am getting this 22" AOC monitor
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle
>>

>Why are you getting such a mediocre 22" LCD? Other 22" LCDs are way better
>than that in the price range.

I see nothing wrong with that display.

And I ALSO see nothing about it being '6 bit', whatever THAT means.

But I DO see that the average Newegg buyer is apparently ULTRA-stupid,
whining about the display NOT being 16.9 inches tall (not understanding
that is's the FORMAT of the display, 16x9).

This sig censored by the Office of Home, Land & Planet Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

Frodo

I would guess that the ATI Express 200 will work with the AOC 22".
But if adding a graphics card, get something in the X1600 series.
The X1300 would work, but has only 4 pipelines in the GPU (Graphics
Processing Unit)
Where as cards in the X1600 series have 12 pipelines in the GPU.
Prices on computer stuff will drop from now until about September.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a pc running MCE with a Athlon64 x2 3800 chip and 1gig of ram.
> The pc is really the "family" computer with no serious gaming taking
> place but a bit of video editing and viewing etc. It currently has
> the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 Chipset driving a 19" lcd (no dvi). I
> am getting this 22" AOC monitor
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle
>
> I know, Iknow, I know its only a 6 bit display. Anyway, my question is
> whether or not the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 will allow me to
> effectively run the 22" lcd in its native 1680 x 1050 resolution?
> And, if not, would the ati x1300 series of cards be a reasonable
> upgrade that will support 1680 x 1050. Again, this is not really a
> gaming pc, just a regular "family" unit. We have two ther pc's in the
> house. One thing that intrigues me about the ati X----series of cards
> is the AVIVO feature.
>
> Thanks for your input.

First of One

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a pc running MCE with a Athlon64 x2 3800 chip and 1gig of ram.
> The pc is really the "family" computer with no serious gaming taking
> place but a bit of video editing and viewing etc. It currently has
> the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 Chipset driving a 19" lcd (no dvi). I
> am getting this 22" AOC monitor

> I know, Iknow, I know its only a 6 bit display.

Where are you seeing the '6-bit'? The spec sheet clearly says 16M colors,
which imply an 8-bit panel.
http://www.nam.aocdisplay.com/specif...ecs_22LVWK.pdf

> Anyway, my question is whether or not the integrated ATI XPRESS 200 will
> allow me to effectively run the 22" lcd in its native 1680 x 1050
> resolution?

Yes, the Xpress 200 will be able to run this monitor at 1680x1050.

> And, if not, would the ati x1300 series of cards be a reasonable
> upgrade that will support 1680 x 1050. Again, this is not really a
> gaming pc, just a regular "family" unit. We have two ther pc's in the
> house. One thing that intrigues me about the ati X----series of cards
> is the AVIVO feature.

AVIVO is only good for its video transcoder utility, which actually doesn't
use GPU acceleration. There are hacks available that'll let you run the
utility on any ATi card. The utility is pretty fast for encoding H.264,
though the quality isn't the best.

Waitkus@gmail.com

> Where are you seeing the '6-bit'? The spec sheet clearly says 16M colors,
> which imply an 8-bitpanel.http://www.nam.aocdisplay.com/specif...ecs_22LVWK.pdf

I say it is 6 bit and not 8 bit based upon;

"How to Tell if an LCD is 8-Bit or 6-Bit

This is the biggest problem for individuals who are looking at
purchasing an LCD monitor.
Most manufacturers do not list the color depth of their display. Even
fewer will list the
actual per-color depth. If the manufacturer lists the color as 16.7
million colors, it should
be assumed that the display is 8-bit per-color. If the colors are
listed as being 16.2 million
or 16 million, consumers should assume that it uses a 6-bit per-color
depth. If no color
depths is listed, it should be assumed that monitors of 12ms or faster
will be 6-bit and
the 20ms and slower panels are 8-bit."

from the link below

http://compreviews.about.com/od/mult...a/LCDColor.htm

Essentially, a representation of 16M or 16.2 M clors = 6 bit while
16.67M colors = 8 bit.
Is this not the case?

I now have the 22" AOC. The Xpress 200 does run it at 1680X1050.
But, I have to use the
vga connector as the Xpress 200 has no DVI. Should I expect a better
result if using a
video card that has dvi?

First of One

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> from the link below
>
> http://compreviews.about.com/od/mult...a/LCDColor.htm
>
> Essentially, a representation of 16M or 16.2 M clors = 6 bit while
> 16.67M colors = 8 bit. Is this not the case?

Nope. The article even contradicts itself.

A 8-bit panel can produce 2^8^3 = 1,677,216 colors or 16.7M.

A 6-bit panel can produce 2^6^3 = 262,144 colors. How does 16.2M correspond
to 262,144?

If you really want to know for sure, email the manufacturer. If you don't
get a response, reconsider buying anything from that brand...

> I now have the 22" AOC. The Xpress 200 does run it at 1680X1050. But, I
> have to use the vga connector as the Xpress 200 has no DVI. Should I
> expect a better result if using a video card that has dvi?

The image quality improvement can range from negligible to significant. It
depends on how good the picture is on your current setup.

First of One

"First of One" <root@localhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> A 8-bit panel can produce 2^8^3 = 1,677,216 colors or 16.7M.

Er, that should be 16,777,216 colors or 16.7M.