ATI or Nvidia graphics card best on A7N8X Deluxe

Nero

Building a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 board, 1 Gig of PC2700,
and an XP2800.
My card at present is a GeForce 4 MX440 but I am thinking of getting
something better.
I don't play games and the pc is for video and music only.
What would be a good choice of card?
ATI or Nvidia ?

Ed

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:55:43 -0000, "Nero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Building a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 board, 1 Gig of PC2700,
>and an XP2800.
>My card at present is a GeForce 4 MX440 but I am thinking of getting
>something better.
>I don't play games and the pc is for video and music only.
>What would be a good choice of card?
>ATI or Nvidia ?

Maybe neither? Not sure what a good 2D card is now but I used to really
like the Matrox cards, they had really nice and clean output for 2D
work, but now I'm a gamer and use a Ti4200 and 9800 Pro, for 2D the
Ti4200 seems to actually have a cleaner 2D output then the 9800, but my
eyes are not what they used to be either! ;p

just my $0.02
Ed

KJ

Matrox 650 or 750 would be great for you if you do a little video
editing...if you do more serious video editing or some 3D the Matrox
Parhelia is a great choice - but costs a bit more. I like my OEM (clocked a
bit slower than the "retail" version) Parhelia enough that I've used it for
several systems I've built.

"Nero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HPjCb.20432$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Building a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 board, 1 Gig of PC2700,
> and an XP2800.
> My card at present is a GeForce 4 MX440 but I am thinking of getting
> something better.
> I don't play games and the pc is for video and music only.
> What would be a good choice of card?
> ATI or Nvidia ?

Minotaur

Nero wrote:

> Building a new system with the A7N8X Deluxe rev 2 board, 1 Gig of PC2700,
> and an XP2800.
> My card at present is a GeForce 4 MX440 but I am thinking of getting
> something better.
> I don't play games and the pc is for video and music only.
> What would be a good choice of card?
> ATI or Nvidia ?

ATI, Matrox or nVidia, I would have said Matrox first, but there cards
are over priced for the performance you get today.

Most important part would be to purchase a quality card, not the
fastest. Would definantly look at a few reviews first that focus on the
2D output quality between the various manufactures. As some manufactures
are tight when it comes to using quality components on the VGA output.

Am very happy with this old ATI 9700 Sapphire, on my new NEC 22" (20"
viewable) with 1600x1200. 2050x1500? is very good aswell, but with a
slight blur in 2D (screen limitation I would guess, DPI).

Minotaur